Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not very good at navigating the Advanced Search function apparently.

I'm looking for a game that involves players trying to make the most money (or something in that ballpark). Something like Power Grid, Automobile, Locomotive Werks, etc. Not so much a stock shares game like Chicago Express though. Another I'd consider slightly in that category is Colosseum, since you're spending money to get the biggest output.

What I'd prefer is something not so heavy. I don't mind kinda heavy, just nothing that I'm going to feel stupid playing. I'd say Automobile closes in on the limit of playing a game versus doing mental math exercises. Also, playable with more than 4 is a plus.

Thanks for the help!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that Automobile will do the trick for you quite nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Industry - 5 players. You start with no money, which means you must take out loans in order to build up industries. Once those industries serve their purpose, you will get money to go towards those loans and to play out more industries.

Railways of the World - 6 players. Again, start with no money, but you can sell shares. This means you get money for free when needed, but must pay out every turn to for the shares which will never get paid off. Still, you should make more than it takes, by building railroads and upgrading your trains to deliver goods. See also Steam & Age of Steam.

Navegador - 5 players. This time you start with money! In this rondel game, you send out ships to explore and invest in colonies and factories, to make money from the market, which you can spend on even more colonies/factories, more ships and workers, and other buildings that will make things cheaper for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Britton Roney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will suggest Masters of Commerce as it meets several of your criteria: it involves trying to make the most money, is relatively light, and plays with up to 11 players.

The old classic Acquire certainly comes to mind as well, although it does center around stock shares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can also consider:

Homesteaders - 4 players. Auction game, as you purchase more building sites, you slowly acquire more goods and money for even better buildings. Can take out loans that work against if not paid off by the end.

Leonardo Da Vinci - 5 players. Worker placement, will have to spend money for components and lab upgrades in order to complete inventions. Inventions bring in more money. At the end of the game, whoever has the most money wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
I'd say that Automobile will do the trick for you quite nicely.

Thanks, but I've already played Automobile. Looking for something I don't know about yet.

DoomTurtle wrote:
Navegador - 5 players. This time you start with money! In this rondel game, you send out ships to explore and invest in colonies and factories, to make money from the market, which you can spend on even more colonies/factories, more ships and workers, and other buildings that will make things cheaper for you.

Played it, like it a lot. It's economic, but the other mechanics overshadow the economics and make it feel more like...something else to me.

DoomTurtle wrote:
Age of Industry - 5 players. You start with no money, which means you must take out loans in order to build up industries. Once those industries serve their purpose, you will get money to go towards those loans and to play out more industries.

I'll look into this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
Homesteaders - 4 players. Auction game, as you purchase more building sites, you slowly acquire more goods and money for even better buildings. Can take out loans that work against if not paid off by the end.

This one gives me a headache as I'm trying to calculate the optimum sales and uses for trade tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Saint Petersburg?

It's older (2004), but I just bought it and after 9 plays we are having a lot of fun.

You definately spend money to make money, and the rules are simple (but the strategies are tougher). With the expansion it plays to 5 players, 4 without it. There is a 'switch' of knowing when to focus more on points, as that is what ultimately wins the game (but you cannot do that successfully without first making a revenue generating machine).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Pengelly
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Container?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave Martin wrote:
How about Saint Petersburg?

It's older (2004), but I just bought it and after 9 plays we are having a lot of fun.

You definately spend money to make money, and the rules are simple (but the strategies are tougher). With the expansion it plays to 5 players, 4 without it. There is a 'switch' of knowing when to focus more on points, as that is what ultimately wins the game (but you cannot do that successfully without first making a revenue generating machine).

Oh yea, I totally forgot about this one. I've owned it for years, but haven't played it enough. Too bad it's only up to 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tinners' Trail - You start the game with £15. With that, players have to balance their spending each round between building new mines (done by a round-table auctioning phase) and the cost of mining copper and tin. Most players end the round with near £0 remaining. Then every player turns around and sells his copper and tin for the going market prices, which (should) always creates a positive return on investment. At the end of each of the four rounds, players can use their profits to purchase VPs.

So, as you requested, this game is all about spending money to make more money. Additionally, there are several other actions players take that make mining more cost-efficient.

It's my favorite easy-to-teach, hard-to-master game, and it plays very quickly.

Good luck and have fun!

[edit] Clarification
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
Defender of the Grid! "I Fight for the Users!"
mbmbmbmbmb
brroney wrote:

The old classic Acquire certainly comes to mind as well, although it does center around stock shares.

+1 for Acquire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Yordy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good suggestions in here. I'm learning about some games that I've not heard of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Peavy
United States
Americus
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like all of DoomTurtle's suggestions and the games that you mention, but here are a few more that you might like:

Jet Set - get the best routes and make money across Europe without buying any stocks!

Steam - its "Age of Steam" lite, with no dice and no stocks.

Samarkand: Routes to Riches - build trading networks by cleverly placing your camels and building alliances in the Middle East.

Power Grid: Factory Manager - the other side of the Power Grid, as you try to build the most efficient factory to make the most money while minimizing your electrical costs.

Masters of Venice - a game of buying low and selling high to make your fortune in Venice.

Mundus Novus - a card game where you trade, collect and play sets of cards to make the most money.

I think any of these would be something you might like. Check them out and see what you think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collett
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
OOhhhhh.. Da Red Snappa! Veeerrry tasty!
badge
You sooo stupid!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Greed Inc.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played it once, but I second the Container suggestion. The rules certainly aren't "heavy". It struck me as about on the line of Power Grid in terms of mental computation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Planar wrote:
What about Container?

Yep, this was my thought, too. It's not a pure buy-low/sell-high game (the auctions and the quirky rules about the containers make it different, but interesting), but it's one of my favorites.

Hab & Gut is another one to consider, but that one maxes out with 4 players.

EDIT: And Shark plays up to six, but has some significant randomness. It's a damn fine game despite that, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wealth of Nations and Container are the games you seek, sir.

WoN plays up to 6 and is amazing. Watch the dice tower reviews. Spend money to make money, players can bankrupt themselves, a real player driven market, high competitiveness to make it big in a given industry. It rocks. Just make sure you play with the V2 rules. Expansion not needed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Brass?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave F.
Netherlands
Schelluinen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Manila?

This is a pretty light game and always a lot of fun with our gaming group.
It uses stock, but mainly, I think, to hide some of your money from the rest of the players. I mean, the stocks are there and they are an integral part of the game and the ending conditions, but to me, it's not really a nuisance. I don't like games with stock all that much, but Manila doesn't bother me.

The most fun is betting on whether ships make it or not and placing them on the ships to get a share of the loot and of course: piracy! Successful pirating is awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.