Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MISSION: The Flytrap

An Imperial task-force , which includes the interdictor-class star destroyer Flytrap, has ambushed a small Rebel convoy. The Flytrap has powered up its gravity wells, preventing the Rebel ships from jumping to safety and forcing the out-classed rebel fleet to engage in a slugfest with an imperial-class star destroyer and several dreadnaughts. The only hope the rebels have of escaping is to destroy the Flytrap, but the rebels lack sufficient firepower to bring the interdictor-class ship down before they themselves are destroyed.

A few brave rebel fighters have gotten through the gauntlet and are skimming near the interdictor’s surface, protecting them from the slew of Imperial batteries. If they can disable the Flytrap’s shields, then concentrated fire from the Rebel fleet might bring down the gravity wells in time to free the ships before it is too late.

SETUP

Rebels: 100 points
Imperials: 100 points

Two “Shield Generators” are then placed at Range 1 from the Imperial side, pictured above. These Shield Generators can be either tokens or three dimensional models and should be the size of a starfighter’s base. Treat them as ships for the purposes of moving (e.g. a ship cannot be overlapping the Shield Generator and a ship whose base is touching the shield generator cannot attack it).

The Shield Generators have an Agility of 0, but this can be increased (for instance, if it is attacked at Range 3 by a primary weapon). They have Armor 1 which nullifies the first point of damage from each attack. The generators have Hull 4 and ignore the effects of all face-up damage cards except for “Critical Hit.”

[NOTE: The shield generators are close to the edge of the board and ships will need to be especially careful not to fly off of the map. This is part of the challenge of the scenario. Thematically, if the Rebels fly too far from the interdictor, then the nearby enemy ships will be able to gun them down. As it stands, those batteries won’t risk pummeling their own interdictor to shoot at the rebel fighters. Imperials that fly off the edge presumably join the battle elsewhere but are replaced by Imperial Reinforcements (see below). Additionally, there are no turbolaser batteries on the interdictor. It can be assumed the Rebel fighters are skimming too close to the surface and are able to avoid the batteries’ effective targeting and firing range. If the mission proves too easy for the Rebels, though, batteries could easily be added.]

SPECIAL RULES

Protect the Generators: Imperial ships may attempt to protect a generator by getting between the attackers and their target. Any imperial ship may perform the following Action:

Protect Action: Place a red Target Lock on this ship and its corresponding blue counter on a Shield Generator within Range 1. For the rest of the turn, this ship is now Agility -1 (minimum 0). During Combat, whenever an enemy attacks the Shield Generator with this ship’s blue counter, this ship may count as an Obstructing Obstacle on that attack (see the rules for Obstructing Obstacles on Rulebook pg. 20; i.e. if the attacker’s range ruler overlaps any part of this ship, then the shield generator rolls one additional defense die during the Attack).

Imperial Reinforcements: During the End phase, the Imperial player may call for one reinforcement for each Imperial ship that was destroyed during that round. For each reinforcement, he takes one “Academy Pilot” Ship card and places it outside the play area. Then he places one “Academy Pilot” ship within Range 1 of the Rebel’s edge of the play area. The Imperial player can assign maneuvers to this ship and use it as normal.

OBJECTIVES

Rebel Victory: Destroy both Shield Generators and then move one or more of your ships off of the map (ships that move off after the shield generators are destroyed are considered to jump away to safety).

Imperial Victory: Destroy all Rebel ships with at least one Shield Generator remaining.

Draw: The Rebels destroy both shield generators but fail to then move a fighter off the board. Some of the Rebel fleet manages to escape, but the Imperials have dealt a strong blow to their elite fighter pilots, leaving the damaged survivors especially vulnerable to future attacks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This is an pre-playtest idea I have for a thematic mission. I'm hoping to start up a local X-Wing "League" and would like to have some campaign-like missions involved.

If anyone tries this out, I would love to hear feedback and thoughts. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Very Cool! This is definitely a very flavourful Star Wars scenario! This brought me back to Rogue Leader on the Gamecube, where there was essentially the exact same mission.

You've also made sure the rules are unambiguous and explained how your additions interact with some of the rules in the book. Clarifying that the generators do roll an additional at range 3, for example.

Just a few things. If a TIE is using a Protect Action, I'm guessing that actually being an obstructed obstacle in the normal definition won't add yet another defence dice?

Also, I think that you should keep the reinforcement rule closer the one used in the rulebook's scenarios. Only one replacement should come on at a time. Perhaps you've play-tested it and feel otherwise, but I feel that if they all return at once it would be too hard for the Rebels. This way they can buy a respite and can feel like they are making progress.

EDIT: Nevermind, I misread the Imperial Reinforcements rule from the rulebook. You have used it as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would rename Armor to something more like Shield. Because a shield generator without shields is a little odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks awesome! Seems like you've really covered the bases.

fusag wrote:
I would rename Armor to something more like Shield. Because a shield generator without shields is a little odd.

I kinda disagree with this, and I like the way RogueThirteen's phrased it. "Armor" gives the impression that the target is simply tougher to damage due to its plating, where as shields already have a mechanic in game - and you'd have to 'recharge' a shield token between every attack to keep it consistent. Though either way, it's merely a flavor discussion. The mechanic that RogueThirteen suggests is pretty cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fusag wrote:

They're so close to the surface of the Star Destroyer that they're inside the shields. I think that's how Star Wars shields work, anyway. They kind of did this sort of thing in ROTJ, and it looked cool.

The attack on the first Death Star is like that, too. The X-wings pass through the Death Star's shields and do all their fighting underneath it. I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I said "more like" Shield. Shield, as a term, is already taken and implies certain properties within the game, but I couldn't think of another term that would fit. I just didn't think it was Armor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
The rules mention that the generators count as a ship and not an obstacle as far as the rules for overlapping are concerned. However, it might be good to count them as an obstruction when it comes to shooting at other ships. They are pretty big and the flavour does mention the x-wings sticking close to the surface of the Star Destroyer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdul Rahman Ibrahim
Malaysia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this scenario. Pretty cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deniper Deniper
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good stuff gonna try it for sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hamilton
United Kingdom
Livingston
West Lothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Superb. This is the first 'home-made' scenario I have seen and I have to say "Impressive, most impressive!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baggett
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
Hi Rogue Thirteen,

This is great stuff! I played your mission last night shortly after reading about it. The following is a very condensed session report...

I played solo, playing both sides as well as possible, doing my best to choose the same moves and actions that I would choose if I had no knowledge of what the other side were up to. This is the way I have played all my games of X-wing so far and it has been working fine as far as I can tell.

I used 72 point squads for each side. Why 72? Well, I built my rebel squad first with 68 points and then ended up needing 72 to round out my imperial squad, so I went back and threw in R2-D2 to even things out.

Rebels:

Garvin Dreis (26)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
R2-D2 (4)

Wedge Antilles (29)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
R5-K6 (2)
Marksmanship (3)

Imperials:

Academy Pilot x 3 (36)

Dearth Vader (29)
Marksmanship (3)
Concussion Misssiles (4)

I'm sure these squads are far from optimal, but I am learning as I go. One major mistake I made was spending so many points on weapons and attacks which require target lock. I didn't realize until I got ready to take a shot at the field generator that target lock seems to only apply to ships in this game. For you experts, does this make sense? Does it match the movies?

The imperials held back two TIE fighters to guard/block the field generators while Vader and the remaining TIE crossed the map to start firing on my approaching rebel pilots.

I started my x-wings directly across the map, each one lined up with a generator. This made for a quick approach, but also made it easier for the TIE fighters to anticipate and effectively obstruct the attack vectors to the generators. Vader and the third TIE exchanged shots with my approaching x-wings mid way across the board and then tried to loop/Koiogran turn around and tail closely behind the two x-wings.

Vader faced up against Wedge and nearly took him out before he could even attack the first field generator. After two sets of attacks, one from head on and one from behind, Wedge was down to one hull point with no remaining shields. Things looked dire for the rebels.

At the same time, however, Garven was coming through his approach nearly unscathed. Only losing one shield point which could be recovered in short order thanks to R2-D2.

Wegdge quickly shook Vader off his tail and was able to get in some good shots on the generator during his final approach. Using a combination of marksmanship and his pilot skill which reduces agility, he was able to get in several hits, even when the generator was being defended closely by a well positioned TIE.

The two defending TIE's were each performing a tight back and forth pattern, obstructing their respective generators nearly 50% of the time. This protection, as good as it was, was nullified by Wedge's superior piloting skill.

Wedge used some evasive actions to stay alive long enough to finish off his generator and bank around to face the final remaining generator.

Meanwhile, Garven was proving to be difficult to damage, but he was also finding it difficult to damage the second generator. Only managing to land two damaging hits before having to bank off towards generator one.

The final several game rounds were extremely tense with the rebels finally able to land a few final shots on generator two and then immediately warp out.

What appeared to be an early wipe out win for the imperials, and probably should have been, ended up being a very dramatic come from behind victory for the rebels.

Very fun mission, with lots of tension and interesting interactions between the two sides.

The first play through seemed amazingly well balanced, but I would want to play through it a few more times before being able to make an informed judgement on the balance.

Thanks for adding to the community and providing a really enjoyable gaming experience.

-Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baggett
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
One other quick note. I think "critical hit" in your instructions was meant to be "direct hit"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian,

Thanks for the feedback, it's great to hear someone's tried this out (and good to know that it was close and interesting).

Yes, "Critical Hit" should have been the "Direct Hit" damage card.

Also, I fully intended for the Target Lock action to be able to target the generators (allowing Torpedoes/Missiles and die-rerolling to be an option when attacking the generators).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
baggett67 wrote:
I didn't realize until I got ready to take a shot at the field generator that target lock seems to only apply to ships in this game.

You can always make an exception for a mission, since it doesn't seem far-fetched that you could lock on to a shield generator. But if it makes for a better scenario (sounds like it did), declare them immune to target locks. Either way 'makes sense' in the Star Wars universe, really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, so I was playing around with making a scenario template, and thought I'd use yours as a guinea pig. I even created a little Shield Generator stat token for the hell of it.

Here goes!

Lemme know what you guys think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom, that's thoroughly outstanding! Amazing work, and I'm sure it will be easier to get people at the local venue trying out this scenario when it looks like that (rather than the wimpy MS Word document I would have had, haha).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing work - both of you.

I think I may even enlarge the little hex ball you used in the image to make an on board counter.

Loving the template

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@ RogueThirteen:

Perhaps you saw me post this in the Star Destroyer Mat thread, but here's a crop from an image I'm working on to compare ship sizes (info taken from http://www.merzo.net/):

Based on this, it might be worth thinking about making the shield generator tokens the size of a "medium" ship base (such as the upcoming Millenium Falcon's). Totally your call though.

JustinKase wrote:
Amazing work - both of you.

I think I may even enlarge the little hex ball you used in the image to make an on board counter.

Loving the template

That's a great idea. If you can give me the size of a ship's base, then I can make a token at the right size. (I don't have the game available to me right now)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeckoTH wrote:

That's a great idea. If you can give me the size of a ship's base, then I can make a token at the right size. (I don't have the game available to me right now)

A standard base is 40mm square. The assumption based on observation is that a medium base will be 80mm square.

edit: pesky zeros
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! Well, here's a Shield Generator Token.
I've got a PDF that's ready to print at the proper size. But I'd like to hear Rogue Thirteen's thoughts on what size it should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another slightly tangental question is dependent on size, how far apart should they be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the marker - and thanks for saving me the time of having to make one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karrde wrote:
Another slightly tangental question is dependent on size, how far apart should they be?

Good point... If I resized the Star Destroyer image to closer match the scale of the fighters, the map comes out like this:

That puts the Shield Generators too far into the corners, IMO (provided you're using a 3'x3' play area). Perhaps RogueThirteen's original instruction for having the generators be the size of a small ship's base is right where it should be.

(of course, if you wanted to use the larger shield generators, you could simply move them closer together so that they're position is similar to where the original map indicates)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's fine. Do fighters need to be able to go behind the generators?

Push it to 4x4, if you have to.

Or consider rotating everything 45 degrees, to give the shield generators more room on the sides. For the Rebels, put triangular start zones in the corners. (Lay the range finder diagonally, starting at the corner and pointing at the opposite corner. Place your ships behind the range 2 line.) For the Imperials, have them start anywhere between the shield generators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to suggest 4x4 as well, but DD beat me to it

Placing them on a diagonal is an interesting idea as well. Maybe have the players enter from the corners. No reason we have to keep the deployment zones as straight across.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.