Popular Tags: [View All]
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
So, with my nearly-15-year-old bored this evening and watching YouTube on his iPhone, I suggest to my bright 11 year old that tonight would be a good night to learn Up Front.

So, we dive into the basics, I explain the goal, and he jumps in feet first. Scenario A, he's playing the Americans.

I've gone over the basic rules, some stuff like flanking and transfers, etc. But after the first deck I'm feeling a bit bad because I've managed to get everyone up to range 3 and am repeatedly pinning his A group (4 men). And he can't find a rally card to save his life. And then about a 1/3 of the way into deck 2, my plans fall apart.

My (firebase) B group manages to tumble into wire, my C group splashes into a marsh, and my son's B group gets a transfer and start laying down enough fire that my A gets reduced to two pinned soldiers. Then he flanks me, doubles his firepower, and throws down fire card after fire card wiping out C. Gone, poof, in an instant of BAR and Thompson fire and dying Germans. Six of my men dead, with two more pinned at the end, and the Yanks come down off the two hills and out of their woods and stroll to victory.

Every card that kid drew was good, and even better, he knew how to use them.

Perhaps worse, every bloody time Private Smith got fired at? Never once got pinned. Saw Greenwood die next to him, and never flinched once. (More than I can say for my LMG's assistant.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
Great stuff. You've got seven years before he goes to college - make the most of them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Muñoz de la Peña
Spain
Seville
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is 1 year old, so I have got 17 years to play Up Front with him!

;-)

You are lucky David!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Rematch: Managed to utterly crush him this go around. Without loss or mercy. Mwa-ha-ha! Does this make me a bad dad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
So, with my nearly-15-year-old bored this evening and watching YouTube on his iPhone, I suggest to my bright 11 year old that tonight would be a good night to learn Up Front.

So, we dive into the basics, I explain the goal, and he jumps in feet first. Scenario A, he's playing the Americans.

I've gone over the basic rules, some stuff like flanking and transfers, etc. But after the first deck I'm feeling a bit bad because I've managed to get everyone up to range 3 and am repeatedly pinning his A group (4 men). And he can't find a rally card to save his life. And then about a 1/3 of the way into deck 2, my plans fall apart.

My (firebase) B group manages to tumble into wire, my C group splashes into a marsh, and my son's B group gets a transfer and start laying down enough fire that my A gets reduced to two pinned soldiers. Then he flanks me, doubles his firepower, and throws down fire card after fire card wiping out C. Gone, poof, in an instant of BAR and Thompson fire and dying Germans. Six of my men dead, with two more pinned at the end, and the Yanks come down off the two hills and out of their woods and stroll to victory.

Every card that kid drew was good, and even better, he knew how to use them.

Perhaps worse, every bloody time Private Smith got fired at? Never once got pinned. Saw Greenwood die next to him, and never flinched once. (More than I can say for my LMG's assistant.)

This is what real wargaming is all about! Excellent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gack! Game three rubber match. No word of a lie here ... I move group A forward on my first turn, the SL and three other men, a -2 woods in sight (my hand) and my 11 year old opens fire with his group A on his first turn ... the BAR and three other riflemen.

My Germans must've simply been caught in the wide open, perhaps stopping to light a cigarette or admire the nice puffy cumulous clouds in the French country sky, because before they get to the woods three of them are killed outright by the American fire, including the SL! The lone survivor runs backwards into some brush in sheer terror.

Minutes of the squad's time later (about 1/3 into the second deck) he kills the ASL in group B and the LMG assistant. Five men dead in one of the fastest and most bloody firefights I've seen in the past few dozen games.

Sigh. My 11 year old leaves the attic victorious again. I'll have to make the little general play the French sometime, that'll teach him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three dead at RR1? I would call it a draw. A travesty of a draw!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Three dead at RR1? I would call it a draw. A travesty of a draw!

I sat there too in stunned disbelief. He managed to play the best fire card he could with the firepower he had and three of his draws he drew high blacks. It was both amazing and stupefying all at the same time. How come I never manage to do that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roar Stensrud
Norway
Tolvsroed
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unusual, but not impossible. The best card-combo for his firing group at RR1 would be FP3/FS3 + FP1/FS1 + FP1/FS2 = basic FS6 and then +1 for the moving group. With that combo he wouldn't need more than black 1s to kill. He'd have to be darn lucky with his dealt cards, though (as he obviously was). This certainly is one of the extremes of Up Front, but statistics will sooner or later hit you smack in the face in this game.

You just don't know when...cry

R.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.