Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
ArgH! My CoolStuffInc order finally came in and one of my starters has an x-wing with a severely bent laser gun. I tried the old hot water trick, but this is a different plastic and it has no effect at all. I'm not happy about this.
By the way, I had not seen a bent gun anywhere before I got my order in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Lansing
Illinois
flag msg tools
Or am I?
badge
Devious
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if it is severe enough and you cannot get results any other way, I hate to say it... but get some instant bond super glue, neatly trim it off, get it as straight as you can, then reattach it with the smallest drop possible.

hate to go as extreme as that, but if nothing else works... it may be your only answer.

My first core set's x-wing lower left gun (looking at it from the front) came slightly bent... but it's not too bad, so I haven't risked doing anything to it. Though I think hot water may work. It's very durable plastic though, hard to break. I er.... might have dropped the damn thing off a table... and it didn't take any damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
Germany
flag msg tools
Move along, move along...
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be worthwhile to try the FFG customer service. I have no experience with expensive minis like these, but for any issues related to board game components, they have always replaced components swiftly and at no cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The X-wing from one of my starter sets also has the lower left gun bent slightly out of the package. It's not enough to bother me, but if it were I would suggest getting some piano wire that is just smaller in diameter, spray it black, cut a piece just smaller than the gun, and glue it on the underside.

Should do the trick and not be noticeable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deniper Deniper
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With a light bend I was able to ever so gently bent it back into place.

Really gently...

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
unfortunately it's one of the top guns, so it's really visible. I had prob be ok with it if it was a bottom gun.

The bent is not slight, I'll post a picture later when I have a chance to snap one. I have actually already applied more "counter bent" than I am comfortable with.

Snapping and re-gluing sounds like the worst advice ever. I'm not doing that. I am also not installing piano wire (but it's better advice, I think, lol)

I'm contemplating just contacting FFG. It's one of those edge cases. I was hoping someone here would have a trick to properly set it (or at least get it within an acceptable, not visible from across the room, kind of position)

And if FFG says "We're sorry, but you have a playable model" (and I certainly do) I can always fix it myself for about $12: I just buy a replacement X-Wing at my FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd contact FFG, but you could also try out a hair dryer to try to warm it up more than the hot water. Have to be more careful though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Milanovich
United States
Glendale Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a benefit if the gun is severely bent to one side, it should expand the weapon arc wider so you can hit more things. Bonus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm 99% certain that FFG will replace it, they are generally awesome in that regard. I've had some minor issues before and they always came through better than expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Watkins
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hot watah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MillertimeRC wrote:
I'm 99% certain that FFG will replace it, they are generally awesome in that regard. I've had some minor issues before and they always came through better than expected.

They've replaced all the figures I've boughten that had issues (missing legs, base fell off, missing completely, arms backwards (one of my StarCraft Marines had two right arms attached, made for a funny looking soldier)), however, those were all for stock games with a lot of figs, not a "miniature" game. I'm not so sure they'll readily replace it for X-Wing.

That's the main reason I haven't boughten from an online retailer, I don't get to look at the boxes and pick the one with the straightest guns

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
MillertimeRC wrote:

They've replaced all the figures I've boughten that had issues (missing legs, base fell off, missing completely, arms backwards (one of my StarCraft Marines had two right arms attached, made for a funny looking soldier)), however, those were all for stock games with a lot of figs, not a "miniature" game. I'm not so sure they'll readily replace it for X-Wing.

That's the main reason I haven't boughten from an online retailer, I don't get to look at the boxes and pick the one with the straightest guns

-shnar

I can say that I bought a box set of Dust minis and one of them was missing the head. They sent me a replacement within a week and didn't ask for proof of purchase or want me to send the defective one back.

http://parts.fantasyflightgames.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always use boiling water, works tons better than the hot water I can get from the faucet. Not sure if that would work for you, but maybe worth a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Lansing
Illinois
flag msg tools
Or am I?
badge
Devious
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertDD wrote:

Snapping and re-gluing sounds like the worst advice ever. I'm not doing that. I am also not installing piano wire (but it's better advice, I think, lol)

Well, if you have any kind of patience it's really not that difficult, and it gives good results. I've done it before on miniatures with no problem when it was a big enough problem. Sometimes if it's severe enough there's no other way then neatly trimming the piece off with a small wire clipper and applying a quick bond super glue and letting it sit. I'd advise allowing the x-wing to rest on the engines with the nose sticking straight up to let the piece dry for a period of time. If you get any glue overspill from the bond location, use very light grain sandpaper to smooth it. But it should be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.