Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alastair Cornish
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked this up and from the sound of it I can't wait to play, there seemed to be some issues with the rules maybe you can help me with.

1) In basic rules pg 33-34 routing: The stated conditions for having to make a route check all involve engaging or being engaged, yet on the next page it tells you how to move / position an UNENGAGED unit that fails a route check pre-combat. How can that ever happen? Card effect maybe? I can understand it after combat (since ranged weapons can have damaged it enough without engaging) but I don't understand how it can happen beforehand.

2) pg 35 fear checks, at first reading it seems like everyone has to make a check, there is no stated condition here. I think only later in the glossary does it mention that engaging or being engaged by fearsome units causes these checks to happen, for clarity it might be best to point this out here. At first I thought that the concept was that war is so scary that all units must make fear tests on every turn!

3) Advanced Rules pg 13: Defended Obstacle bonus says that the engaged unit must have more than half the engaged face abutted against an obstacle, which is impossible since in order to BE engaged you must have half or more of your face abutted with the enemy. Only by reading the whole rest of the pamphlet and using some common sense did I guess that the idea is you can engage them without touching them in the case of defended obstacles (with only the obstacle between you) since conceptually they are clambering over the intervening obstacle, or must you move close enough so you you sit the attacker over the obstacle so it does directly touch the defender?. Again it could do with clarifying on pg13 possibly with an illustration.

4) Optional fleeing rule. On first reading it would seem that this would be too powerful for fearsome undead units who could flee and then automatically rally (though at the cost of a command action). This reads as a legal action since the unit doesn't have to fail a morale check in order to flee, has this been proven in play to be a not overpowering tactic, or should there be an exception to voluntarily fleeing, whereby fearless units cannot do it?

Thanks in advance I can't wait to play my first game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tigermuppetcut wrote:
I just picked this up and from the sound of it I can't wait to play, there seemed to be some issues with the rules maybe you can help me with.

1) In basic rules pg 33-34 routing: The stated conditions for having to make a route check all involve engaging or being engaged, yet on the next page it tells you how to move / position an UNENGAGED unit that fails a route check pre-combat. How can that ever happen? Card effect maybe? I can understand it after combat (since ranged weapons can have damaged it enough without engaging) but I don't understand how it can happen beforehand.

The only way I can think of under the current units and command cards is by taking fire from a ranged attacker, but this happens quite regularly. If a ranged attack puts a unit into the Yellow (or into the Red or causes any Red damage) that unit will take a rout check after combat.

Quote:
2) pg 35 fear checks, at first reading it seems like everyone has to make a check, there is no stated condition here. I think only later in the glossary does it mention that engaging or being engaged by fearsome units causes these checks to happen, for clarity it might be best to point this out here. At first I thought that the concept was that war is so scary that all units must make fear tests on every turn!

3) Advanced Rules pg 13: Defended Obstacle bonus says that the engaged unit must have more than half the engaged face abutted against an obstacle, which is impossible since in order to BE engaged you must have half or more of your face abutted with the enemy. Only by reading the whole rest of the pamphlet and using some common sense did I guess that the idea is you can engage them without touching them in the case of defended obstacles (with only the obstacle between you) since conceptually they are clambering over the intervening obstacle, or must you move close enough so you you sit the attacker over the obstacle so it does directly touch the defender?. Again it could do with clarifying on pg13 possibly with an illustration.

I'll look both these points up and possible edit the rulebook or else put in an appropriate FAQ.

Quote:
4) Optional fleeing rule. On first reading it would seem that this would be too powerful for fearsome undead units who could flee and then automatically rally (though at the cost of a command action). This reads as a legal action since the unit doesn't have to fail a morale check in order to flee, has this been proven in play to be a not overpowering tactic, or should there be an exception to voluntarily fleeing, whereby fearless units cannot do it?

I guess I don't see why this would be considered particularly powerful or why it would be better for a Fearsome unit than one that isn't Fearsome?

Suppose my Zombie Troll is going to engage an enemy unit. If I choose to flee, I will need to spend two command actions to get my Troll fighting again (one to rally and then one to give it the Close order). All I get for that is that my opponent's unit doesn't close with me that turn and may go close somewhere else!

Quote:
Thanks in advance I can't wait to play my first game!

I hope you have fun, and I look forward to hearing what you think after you've played!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alastair Cornish
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response.

You said: "The only way I can think of under the current units and command cards is by taking fire from a ranged attacker, but this happens quite regularly. If a ranged attack puts a unit into the Yellow (or into the Red or causes any Red damage) that unit will take a rout check after combat. "

Me - Trouble is the section I was having trouble understanding was the PRE-combat route check (where you can't have taken fire). I'm guessing that section on positioning un-engaged units should be deleted from the pre-combat route phase and only left in the post-combat route phase section of the rules?

You Said: "I guess I don't see why this would be considered particularly powerful or why it would be better for a Fearsome unit than one that isn't Fearsome?"

Me - Only because they are guaranteed to rally when you do spend that command action, whereas non-fearsome units can have the command action spent on them but then fail the rally test and keep routing and running away.

New Question: Where can I buy the battlemats are they out yet? Also any idea on the release date for the seige expansions etc. I haven't been this excited about a game for ages! Keep up the good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tigermuppetcut wrote:
Thanks for the quick response.

You said: "The only way I can think of under the current units and command cards is by taking fire from a ranged attacker, but this happens quite regularly. If a ranged attack puts a unit into the Yellow (or into the Red or causes any Red damage) that unit will take a rout check after combat. "

Me - Trouble is the section I was having trouble understanding was the PRE-combat route check (where you can't have taken fire). I'm guessing that section on positioning un-engaged units should be deleted from the pre-combat route phase and only left in the post-combat route phase section of the rules?

Ah, now I see. I don't have the rulebook in front of me but I think we did a single treatment of routing and put it in the first place that it comes up, the pre-combat rout check. We're also big on leaving design space open, so I think we'd have done it that way anyway because it could be that there are units or command cards in the future that deal damage during movement and command.

Quote:
You Said: "I guess I don't see why this would be considered particularly powerful or why it would be better for a Fearsome unit than one that isn't Fearsome?"

Me - Only because they are guaranteed to rally when you do spend that command action, whereas non-fearsome units can have the command action spent on them but then fail the rally test and keep routing and running away.

Now I understand the confusion. There is no such thing as a rally check -- only a rout check. When you spend an action to rally a unit it always rallies -- you don't have to roll for it.

Quote:
New Question: Where can I buy the battlemats are they out yet? Also any idea on the release date for the seige expansions etc. I haven't been this excited about a game for ages! Keep up the good work.

The battlemats aren't out yet. We thought we were super close but had supplier problems which we are still sorting out. Siege is likely to come in 2006 although we don't yet have a release date.

Glad you're excited about Battleground! Don't forget to rate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alastair Cornish
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good stuff I'm clear on everything now.

I will definitely give it a rating once I've got a few games under my belt.

It's so nice to be able to enjoy the mechanics and fun of massive tabletop warfare without having to spend hundreds of pounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.