Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ziegreich
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's so frustrating when you look through a games forum to find an answer to your rules question and the subject lines say things like:
A few rules questions
Questions after first play
How do I...?
Help!

... And so forth.

If you identify the topic of the question in the subject line, it will make BGG an even more useful tool. E.g.
Do enemy units cut lines of support?
Is withdrawal played before or after attack?
Do you add VP during or after the turn?

There, I've done my sermon for the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, it should say so whenever someone posts a new post in the Rules sections:

"PLEASE SUMMARIZE YOUR QUESTION IN THE SUBJECT LINE! This makes it easier to find your question for those who can reply, and for others who have the same question."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agree agree agree! I've been checking out games and rules a lot recently and generic subjects makes getting answers to my questions a lot slower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Undertook a mission of cleaning up the rules forum, at one point he was looking for volunteers. I don't know if this is ongoing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, Liam was a bit faster, but here's a link to that project: Campaign to make the rules folders more useful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And in http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9690955#9690955 from July 2012 Sphere says he's "just as dedicated to this as I was on day one" so I'd definitely consider it ongoing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul McKenzie
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than the obvious, let us know how we can help. When I read this subject line, I had to say yes yes a thousand times yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This page is criminally underused. If more FAQ's were created using this then they could be linked on the proper pages.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/List_of_game_FAQs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the OP. With that being said, I suggest using google if you have ever have a rules question. Just type in your rules question, the name of the game and the word bgg. You can use the domain functionality for that last bit but I can never remember how.

As an example "enemy units lines of support no retreat bgg" and you will probably find exactly what you are looking for and the name of the thread won't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I insta-thumbed this thread about an hour ago. I then came in to it now just to report that I did so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Karlsson
Sweden
Ljungby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have one or two or maybe three questions, sure. If you have any more than that, though, I see no fault in naming the thread "A couple of questions after first play" or similarily. Because then people will still know exactly what to expect: Basic questions that would most likely occur after the first play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
I insta-thumbed this thread about an hour ago. I then came in to it now just to report that I did so.

Okay, keep us posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Rockhopper01 wrote:
Yeah, its hard to surf the Internet for answers.
surprise oh, I K-N-O-W-! since 'moi' had been wondering if ever a photo of an 'item' that I 'possessed' would EVAH! "appear" within THIS 'intarwebstubes', and, there that "were" now! "O"STOS cool

EDIT this too now Fanlore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ed95005 wrote:
Moe45673 wrote:

Okay, keep us posted.

I read this thread, and the comments. Now I am reporting that I did in fact read this thread and the comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cizak wrote:
If you have one or two or maybe three questions, sure. If you have any more than that, though, I see no fault in naming the thread "A couple of questions after first play" or similarily. Because then people will still know exactly what to expect: Basic questions that would most likely occur after the first play.

I still say you should title your thread with the question. Even if you have 10 questions you should title it:

"When do I draw cards, what's the hand limit, and 8 more questions"

Like when you are citing to numerous authors. You only write the first couple of names and then et al to the rest. At least a few questions will be in the subject line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyParadox wrote:
Cizak wrote:

I still say you should title your thread with the question. Even if you have 10 questions you should title it:

"When do I draw cards, what's the hand limit, and 8 more questions"

Like when you are citing to numerous authors. You only write the first couple of names and then et al to the rest. At least a few questions will be in the subject line.

Wouldn't it be better to create several threads at that point? Otherwise your 8 other questions get buried. I don't want to have to guess whether the answer to my question might be in a thread based on such a non-specific title, and then potentially trawl through that thread full of questions which aren't the question I was asking.

I wouldn't mind a title like "I don't understand how auctions work in this game" with several auction-related question in it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I regularly send a PM to a poster who has used a generic subject line, and ask them to change the subject line to something more specific. I include a link to Spheres thread in these messages. Most people change their subject line after this.

jasoncarlough wrote:
I agree with the OP. With that being said, I suggest using google if you have ever have a rules question. Just type in your rules question, the name of the game and the word bgg. You can use the domain functionality for that last bit but I can never remember how.

As an example "enemy units lines of support no retreat bgg" and you will probably find exactly what you are looking for and the name of the thread won't matter.

Is there a reason you do not use the BGG forum search function? That is what I usually do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.