Robert Masson
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My respects to the author on making an enjoyable game, but the English version of the rules to Stronghold were less than desirable. There were lots of vague grey areas (i.e. rules for storming the gates) and the attacker and defender books made for extra reading to see what both sides were capable of.
Will the rules to Robinson Crusoe follow suit or will there be an extra effort to eliminate any problem areas in the rules?
I am just asking, because I thought that Stronghold was really fun, but when I looked at it closely the "holes" in the rules caused a lot of problems and frustration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering that Portal Publishing and Ignacy have both produced many other games, why would you assume that the rules for this game would follow the same format as those of Stronghold?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because people say, "from the maker of Stronghold." and the rules for Stronghold has a lot of holes. Why would I assume otherwise. Have you read the English version of the rules for stronghold?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Sadler
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Considering that Portal Publishing and Ignacy have both produced many other games, why would you assume that the rules for this game would follow the same format as those of Stronghold?

I believe the confusion is with Stronghold (the game) and Stronghold (the game publishing company).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Next week we are going to publish rulebook in PDF format - it will be easy to compare those rulebooks.

One difference is for sure - rulebook for Stronghold was written by me. This time I was kept away from rulebook. It will be better. Much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry Ignacy, I didn't want to insult you. I know how hard it is to write rules for games. I am in the 6th month of trying to write rules for a 7 wonders expansion. To do it well one almost needs to get a law degree. I hope my rules turn out half as good as yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
strayknife wrote:
Quote:

I believe the confusion is with Stronghold (the game) and Stronghold (the game publishing company).

Um... there's no confusion there on my part, but perhaps that would confuse someone else.

botanybob wrote:
Because people say, "from the maker of Stronghold." and the rules for Stronghold has a lot of holes. Why would I assume otherwise. Have you read the English version of the rules for stronghold?

I still think you're making a false assumption, but I can see why Stronghold would be more prevalent in your mind. Yes, I have read the English rules as I am incapable of reading them in any other language. They weren't at all perfect, but I've had more trouble with rules from other games so I'm not stressed about this.

Anyway, the rulebook is coming soon so we can see for ourselves, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert, I don't feel insulted! I totally agree that my rulebooks suck. This is my weakness. I am aware of that. That is why I hired a person who writes rulebook and I do hope that this year it will be much better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You just earned 10 points in my book. It takes a special kind of person to say what you just said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Mock
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG! I just ordered Stronghold and hope to understand all the rules or find all my answers here in BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert, thanks
Jose, if you have questions, you know my geek mail
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trzewik wrote:
Robert, I don't feel insulted! I totally agree that my rulebooks suck. This is my weakness. I am aware of that. That is why I hired a person who writes rulebook and I do hope that this year it will be much better!

I guess this "weakness" is not too uncommon among game designers - even game designers who are normally good at writing rulebooks (for other people's games). This is because, while the purpose of the rulebook is to teach the game to someone who doesn't know the game, the designer himself neither needs to be taught, nor does he not know the game. Thus it naturally becomes twice as difficult to write the rulebook for a game one designed than otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.