Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerard van der Wal
Netherlands
Oosterwolde
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I want to start playing boardgames with my girlfriend and we thought it would be nice to play co-op. So far I only played big strategic boardgames with several friends so I don't really have a clue what's on the market when it comes to co-op games for 2 players, I've never played co-op games before actually.

I've already looked around a bit on these forums and found the following games that at first sight seem interesting to me; Arkham Horror, Elder Sign & Shadowrift.

I don't mind if the games are also playable for more people, I just need something that we can at least play together. Also I wouldn't mind if there are other suggestions for games that are good to play for just 2 people that are not co-op, it's just that my main focus goes out to co-op right now.

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Arkham Horror and Elder Sign, and I've played Shadowrift. I never bring out Arkham Horror because until I spend the time to get the rules down, we mess up so many of the rules/mechanics and it takes forever.

Elder Sign can be fun and short, and also simple, but we've found it to be very easy most of the time we play. So I don't often jump to playing it again.

Playing Shadowrift once, I think I would recommend it over the others (particularly if you like deck-building games). I really liked how they implemented deck-building, the different routes to victory, and how different players can customize their decks differently to have a different focus to better help the team. I really liked it. I only played it once, so I'm not familiar with re-playability of it, but the guy who taught us has played it dozens of times and has been teaching as many people as he can, so I assume it has a high replayability factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombicide.
Flash Point: Fire Rescue.

Are both cooperative and can both be played 2 player (or even single player for when if you get dumped! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Beckler
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some suggestions from the games I own or have recently played:

Arkham Horror is a blast, but takes a few plays to get all the rules figured out, but there's lots of helpful people for questions on BGG. For this game, I recommend each player takes 2 characters rather than just 1 - more variety of play that way.

Defenders of the Realm is also a lot of fun so far - I've only had 2 plays to date.

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game is good and have lots of replay with the additional expansion packs which have come out in the past year.

Forbidden Island compared to Arkham or Defenders, is a quick, cooperative game that has played very well for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG Gerard.

I've got opinions on a lot of co-op games in this list:

A Crazy Couples Co-Op Guide, Revised 2011 Edition

Still need to add some new games (like Shadowrift), or do a 2012 edition of the list.

Of the games you listed:

Arkham Horror is a long and involved game. It has a lot of flavor text and a lot of possibilities, but not a lot of interesting choices. Expect a first game with two to take at least 2-3 hours; you can reduce that with experience. It's best to play with an 'immersive' mindset, where you just want to enjoy the experience of the game. It does, in my opinion, have some poor design choices that detract from the fun of the game and that may or may not bother you with repeat plays.

Elder Sign is a light game. Basically, you pick an 'Advenuture' to attempt and roll to see if you succeed. The choices are straightforward, but it's kind of fun as a low thought relaxing game. It would be better if it were a bit quicker playing given how little there is to it. There's also very little actual cooperation; mostly you just each do your own thing to contribute to victory.

Shadowrift is a bit fiddly; there are several decks you need to deal with each turn. It offers several different sets of enemies to face, each with their own style. There's not really a lot of deckbuilding; you won't add all that many cards to your decks over the game, but the cards and options for how to build your deck are very cool. They've done a great job of making different cards flavorful and interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flashpoint: Fire Rescue

This game hasn't failed me yet, everyone who's tried it has liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Arkham Horror is a long and involved game. It has a lot of flavor text and a lot of possibilities, but not a lot of interesting choices. Expect a first game with two to take at least 2-3 hours; you can reduce that with experience.

And why has no one mentioned Pandemic yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Onirim, Flash Point: Fire Rescue, Defenders of the Realm, and Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salim Khoury
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
Give Grace, Always.
badge
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
mbmbmbmbmb
mst3k4L wrote:
StormKnight wrote:
Arkham Horror is a long and involved game. It has a lot of flavor text and a lot of possibilities, but not a lot of interesting choices. Expect a first game with two to take at least 2-3 hours; you can reduce that with experience.

Because it seems Flash Point: Fire Rescue is the new Pandemic. The former seems to have "fired" the latter...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is a non-gamer, but she does like Ghost Stories. Be warned however, as some people are put off by the difficulty of winning. It's not that the rules are complex, but the game itself is tough to win which is what makes it such a good cooperative game IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised Forbidden Island hasn't had more love in this thread. Granted, it's light (and I must admit I was sceptical), but it plays quickly and I've found it to be great fun, and I think it would be a decent choice if your other half is new to gaming. It's by the same designer as Pandemic and shares some mechanisms, but it's cheap, highly portable and ticks all the right gaming boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Flash Point: Fire rescue and Arkham Horror are good choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to each of Flash Point: Fire Rescue & Forbidden Island

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another +1 for Flash Point: Fire Rescue.

We also like Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror.

And belive it or not Gears of War the board game is a great co-op game imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nickster1970 wrote:
Surprised Forbidden Island hasn't had more love in this thread. Granted, it's light (and I must admit I was sceptical), but it plays quickly and I've found it to be great fun, and I think it would be a decent choice if your other half is new to gaming. It's by the same designer as Pandemic and shares some mechanisms, but it's cheap, highly portable and ticks all the right gaming boxes.

I'd recommend Pandemic over Forbidden island unless a) you're playing with kids b) you're trying to bring someone who doesn't play games into the gaming fold or c) theme is important and FI floats your boat better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike oldham
United States
lake station
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nuknid wrote:
Hi,

I want to start playing boardgames with my girlfriend and we thought it would be nice to play co-op. So far I only played big strategic boardgames with several friends so I don't really have a clue what's on the market when it comes to co-op games for 2 players, I've never played co-op games before actually.

I've already looked around a bit on these forums and found the following games that at first sight seem interesting to me; Arkham Horror, Elder Sign & Shadowrift.

I don't mind if the games are also playable for more people, I just need something that we can at least play together. Also I wouldn't mind if there are other suggestions for games that are good to play for just 2 people that are not co-op, it's just that my main focus goes out to co-op right now.

Thanks in advance

Gears of War the board game is one of the best coop games i've played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
I'd recommend Pandemic over Forbidden island unless... b) you're trying to bring someone who doesn't play games into the gaming fold...

OP's girlfriend seems to fit the bill, which is why I suggested it over Pandemic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerard van der Wal
Netherlands
Oosterwolde
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so far for all the suggestions, I didn't expect so many responses in such a small time which is great. We'll look into these titles and see what we might like and what not.

eatem wrote:
Arkham Horror.

I never really liked Gears of War the videogames at all, do you think this might make the board game also less enjoyable for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
Without knowing anything about you, I'd recommend Castle Panic. It's really quick to set up and play and easy to understand. It's a good gateway game. It's also fairly cheap and a lot of fun.

Nuknid wrote:
I never really liked Gears of War the videogames at all, do you think this might make the board game also less enjoyable for me?
I can't stand the Gears of War video games, but the board game is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Salimo wrote:
mst3k4L wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

Because it seems Flash Point: Fire Rescue is the new Pandemic. The former seems to have "fired" the latter...

I think that may be only "cult of the new". So far in my play Pandemic still has the more gut-wrenching choices. However admittedly I've mostly played Flash Point: Fire Rescue at the "family" level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rich n
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is Carcassone which is fun 2 players - try Blood Bowl team Manager, A Game of Thrones LCG, and Call of Cthulu LCG - Ascension is another favorite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ragesteel wrote:
There is Carcassone which is fun 2 players - try Blood Bowl team Manager, A Game of Thrones LCG, and Call of Cthulu LCG - Ascension is another favorite.

Ummm.... co-op. Co-operative, i.e. not competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nuknid wrote:
Thank you so far for all the suggestions, I didn't expect so many responses in such a small time which is great. We'll look into these titles and see what we might like and what not.

eatem wrote:
Arkham Horror.

Hard to say. The board game is quite different and more a tactial game but you do gun down hordes of enemies. And it is the same characters and enemies as in the video game. Check out a couple of reviews. I like it because the enemies have a "AI-deck" so they act a little random every game. And you build the board like a puzzle, I really like that. It make every game a little different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the following co-ops....I've sorted in the order I would recommend them:
1) Flash Point: Fire Rescue -- dripping with theme. Easy to grasp the concepts. Good challenge for the game. Generates excitement.
2) Elder Sign -- dice rolling is fun (yatzee like rolling--where you try to get certain things with 3 rolls). Theme is good, but you need to work a little to avoid overlooking the theme after a while. Teens love this game.
3) Pandemic -- great game. Generates excitement.
4) Forbidden Island -- Good for kids....they love the 4 relics. If you looking to play with adults only, I wouldn't recommend it as highly.

Here are some games you should really consider:
Ticket to Ride -- Collect sets of cards. Use the cards to claim routes between cities.
Stone Age - Allocate the workers of your tribe to collect resources. Roll dice to determine how many resources they get. Great for 2P as well.
Kingsburg - Build your medieval city. You roll dice to see how the king's 'advisors' can help.
Alhambra - build your Alhambra. Collect money. Buy building (printed on tiles). Lay the tiles in your city to create the best 'Alhambra'
Carcassonne - draw tiles and lay them in city (all players put tiles in the same city). Use meeples to claim roads, cities, farms, and churches.

Here are some 2P games you should consider:
Jaipur - buy and sell commodities. Very fast game.
Mr. Jack Pocket - game of deduction. One player tries to discover the guilty suspect, the other tries to keep the guilty suspect hidden.
San Juan - 2P card game (simplification of the game Puerto Rico)
Jambo - 2P card game - more complex than Jaipur. Trading game set in Africa.
Hive - A simplified version of chess, but with bugs instead of warriors. You don't take your opponent's pieces, you just try to surround the opponents queen bee.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.