Subject: Wolf of the WEEK #164 - Meet Clockworkd rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
Dennis
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

And now for the next Wolf of the Week!!

Clockworkd was a player in my very first game on the forums. Since then, he has been in 25% of the games I have played. He is an ever courteous player, and darn good at whatever role he's in.

Perhaps one of the greatest hidden jewels he gives the community however, is his post game comments squirreled away in his played games page of Cassie.

So, here you go. Your next Wolf of the Week:

bio wrote:

Hi all!

I'm honored that ThatFedoraGuy picked me as the next Wolf of the Week!

A bit about me: I'm a 35-year old high school math teacher from New Jersey. I've actually lived in New Jersey for nearly my entire life (all but two years). Some of my hobbies other than BGG Werewolf include traveling, photography, rock-climbing, video games, and of course, board games.

BGG is the only place I've ever played Werewolf, though I had played a little bit of F2F Mafia before. I got introduced to BGG by my wonderful girlfriend Helen (worshipsf), who was registered on here well before I was. After trying it out herself, she convinced me to join a game, and I've been hooked ever since. We really enjoy following each others games, and have agreed that we won't play in any non-partner games together, just because it's not as much fun if we don't get to talk about the games while they're going on. I'm so impressed by the BGG WW community, and I try to do my part to help build and sustain it.

Board gaming is a relatively recently acquired hobby for Helen and me. My sister gave us a copy of Settlers of Catan a few years ago, and like so many other people have experienced, it served as a gateway into what has become one of our favorite activities. Now, the largest piece of furniture we own is the bookcase we keep our board game collection on.

Lately, I've been on a slight hiatus from BGG WW games: the new school year just started up, which is keeping me pretty busy. Also, once school has started, it really cuts down on the lynch times that I can make. Overall, I tend to be pretty picky about the games I sign up for. I do tend to follow along with interesting games that I'm not playing in, though.

Poll: Two Truths and a Lie - clockworkd style
Two truths and a lie. Which is the lie?
I've competed in the World Championships... for ultimate frisbee.
I've seen the top of Mt. Everest in person.
Helen and I first met when she was a student at the high school where first started teaching.
      22 answers
Poll created by ThatFedoraGuy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I didn't even get to throw out some starters...

Here's one anyway.

I know you read games.

What's been a game you enjoyed reading, but didn't play in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Total Blue. Total Woman.
badge
But listen again. Is it really the wind, or is it the sound of somebody running one step ahead of the dark?
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Clock!

What's your favorite game to play on BSW?
What was your favorite part of the werewolf Amazing Race?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Original Thumb #50
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Yes, clock is the all-seeing eye. He's like an honorary mod in every game he's not playing.

So, how did you meet Helen again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Clock!

Bread or Butter?

Philip or Philippe?

Play or Moderate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
★★★★☆
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
You don't study scaring, you just do it.
badge
I'm not even breaking a sweat.
mbmbmbmbmb
HI CLOCK, Well deserved. I will have questions in due time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandiekinz
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Professor Xavier convinced Katniss to leave her home at 221B Baker Street. She jumped into the Impala shouting, "Allons-y!" .....
badge
.... to take The Ring down the yellow brick road, all through the black of the 'verse, to Narnia, to shine like a star, while saving the Enterprise from the Six-fingered Slytherin Sith.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Clock! What was your favorite game you ever watched but didn't participate in? You're a great person (and super lucky to have Helen! You're so cute together!)!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone!

Now to try to get started on answering your questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
Holy crap, Clock hasn't ever been Wolf of the Week?! That's crazy!

Congratulations, Clock - or as I like to tease you - "Sauron", what with you and your all seeing eye ...

Any goals for Werewolf? Something that you'd like to run? Something that you'd like to accomplish?

Hmm... goals for wereweolf... I like to improve on the weaknesses in my game. I feel like I do a poor job with getting accurate tone reads on people. I usually have a solid grasp on possible scenarios and reasonable ideas for overall strategy, but when I don't have any inside information, I find myself wrong more often than not about other player's alignment, even when they are players that I have significant experience with.

I'd love to run an original, successful roleset. I have no confidence in my ability to come up with such a thing, though.

Something to accomplish? Nothing specific, though it would be nice to win another game as evil at some point, even though I do relish my current #2 standing on the Inherent Goodness chart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ohgrande wrote:
So, how did you meet Helen again?

This question will be answered when I reveal the two truths and one lie at the end of my week(s). :-P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
violintides wrote:
(and super lucky to have Helen!)!!

This is so true. I am incredibly lucky to have met Helen; she's totally amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rgatti wrote:
Bread or Butter?

Bread, for sure.

rgatti wrote:
Philip or Philippe?

They're both obviously awesome, but I'm going to have to go with Philip, as he's my otter (Philippe is Helen's).

rgatti wrote:
Play or Moderate?

Play. I certainly enjoy moderating, but the competition and uncertainty of playing wins out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Epic Question.......take your time. I look forward to your answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, clockwork!

Your input is desired:

3 things games (werewolf in particular, board in general) need more of.
3 things games need less of.
3 things everyone should do/try.
3 things that everyone does that should be avoided.
3 funny things that have happened to you.
3 books everyone should read.
3 books to steer clear of.
3 things that utterly amaze you.
3 things that totally confuse you.

And lastly, where did your username come from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OOO, I like 3 things. Good questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a valiant, pungent reindeer king
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! I can't believe you haven't been WotW before.

I have questions. I just don't know what they are yet.

What are my questions for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bluelise wrote:
Congratulations, Clock!

What's your favorite game to play on BSW?
What was your favorite part of the werewolf Amazing Race?

My favorite moments on BSW have been those where we've had a group chatting on Skype while we're playing. I tend to not be particularly competitive when playing board games, actually, so which game we're playing doesn't make a tremendous difference.

Helen and I played a lot of 2-player Dominion to pass time and also to try to support LupusLanding, but my most memorable BSW moments are probably the large games of Attribut and Piranha Pedro where everyone's laughing and having a fun time.

My favorite part of the Amazing Race game was the photo scavenger hunt challenge. The photo-taking aspect played into my interest in photography, and it was just fun to be running around inside (and outside) the house looking for items. It would have been a pretty unusual scene to observe, since Helen and I were both rushing around, without talking or communicating in any way (in order to abide by the rules of the challenge).

It was also fun to (finally) see the other teams' scavenger hunt threads afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freaking Pedro...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Carpenter
United States
Lakewood
California
flag msg tools
Click the Red Microbadge below to see my games for trade (or sell).
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grats Clock!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lasse Sumborg
Denmark
Odense M
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clock; I just nightfalled you. Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do follow/read a fair number of games that I am not a player in. I'd put them into three general categories:

1. Games that I'm researching in order to help me with a current game that I'm playing. These are usually ones where I'm skimming quickly, and/or isolating a particular player's posts.

2. Ongoing games that I'm following along with. Depending on the game and how busy I am, how closely I'm following can vary dramatically. Very complicated games or ones that have a lot of group mod chats are difficult to follow as an outsider, so I tend not to follow those. As an outside observer, I don't have any inside information, so I do try to casually decide for myself who I think is evil or which way I'd lean on a counterclaim.

For these games, I find myself interested when pivotal or unusual events happen--claim battles, brutal chains, or unexpected reveals come to mind. I was pretty amused a few days ago when both villages of the Ironman first round challenge were anticipating LHLV races at dawn, for instance.

3. Completed games that I'm reading through. Usually this is because a particular game has been referenced somewhere or cited as a particularly interesting game. I will usually read these with spoilers, knowing who had what role.

In all three cases, I'll often look through modchats (after the game concludes in case 2).

When I get a chance, I'll put together a list of some particularly noteworthy games that I've read but not participated in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LaSJ wrote:
Clock; I just nightfalled you. Why?

We're in a final 3 with one wolf left. You're the wolf, and I just voted nightfall on myself, revealing myself as your last aux evil (mimic).

Unfortunately for you, I'm a villager that used [V0TE NIGHTFALL] (zero, not oh) and then posted a fake Cassandra vote tally. The mimic was actually NKed a while ago, and revealed as villager.

Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigafoos wrote:
Congrats! I can't believe you haven't been WotW before.

I have questions. I just don't know what they are yet.

What are my questions for you?

This one's easy!

Your question was "What are my questions for you?".

The answer was "Your question was 'What are my questions for you?'".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about halfway through working through the answer to twomillionbucks's question. There's a lot to answer!

I have a few ideas for Guenhwyvhar's epic question, but still days away from my final answer there, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clockworkd wrote:

I have a few ideas for Guenhwyvhar's epic question, but still days away from my final answer there, I think.

I understand...

Beware the analysis paralysis... It currently has me by... right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.