Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Here I Stand» Forums » Rules

Subject: Difference between play as event and play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
page 9 of the 2nd ed rulebook says:

Quote:
Out of Play: Cards are removed from the game if they are played
as an event and the text “Remove from deck if played as event”
or “Remove from deck after play” appears on the card. Cards
that may be removed from the deck are marked with a red dagger
after the title.


it seems to me that there is an implied difference.

I was reading the rules during lunch in preparation of our 1st game coming friday, and this wasn't clear

are there cards that you remove from the deck when played for cp's? I haven't got the deck with me ATM
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not have my game on me as well (at work), but a quick search of the card manifest makes it sounds like the cards are still being played as events.

For example, "Remove from deck after play", is listed after most mandatory event that are removed after one play.

Quote:
2 OP (T1) Defender of the Faith (Mandatory)
Papal player makes 3 Counter Reformation attempts targeting all language zones. If played by England, English player draws 1 extra card after the Counter Reformation attempts. Remove from deck after play.


An example of "remove from deck if played as event":

Quote:
4 OP (T4) Affair of the Placards (Event)
[Turn 4] If Cop is uncommitted, Protestant player makes 4 Reformation attempts targeting the French language zone. Commit Cop. Remove from deck if played as event.


"Remove from deck after play", is resolved with mandatory events where the card event is resolved and then the power who played the card gets to spend their two OPS. The card is then set aside and removed.

"Remove from deck if played as event" only removes certain event cards when they are played as events (or in some cases when played as a response card), but not when they are used for OPs.

I hope that makes sense.

EDIT: Fixed wording.
8 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
Avatar
mb
Steven is spot on. The difference in wording is simply because Mandatory Events can only be played for the event, and it would therefore look stupid to have the text "... if played as event" on the card.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrJork wrote:
are there cards that you remove from the deck when played for cp's?

Not in this game. There are a couple of oddball events that only get removed if a certain precondition is met (Sebastian Cabot, Sack of Rome).

Virgin Queen has one card--Mary Queen of Scots--that can potentially be removed even if used for CP (if Mary has died).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SW_Cygnus wrote:
I do not have my game on me as well (at work), but a quick search of the card manifest makes it sounds like the cards are still being played as events.

For example, "Remove from deck after play", is listed after most mandatory event that are removed after one play.

Quote:
2 OP (T1) Defender of the Faith (Mandatory)
Papal player makes 3 Counter Reformation attempts targeting all language zones. If played by England, English player draws 1 extra card after the Counter Reformation attempts. Remove from deck after play.


An example of "remove from deck if played as event":

Quote:
4 OP (T4) Affair of the Placards (Event)
[Turn 4] If Cop is uncommitted, Protestant player makes 4 Reformation attempts targeting the French language zone. Commit Cop. Remove from deck if played as event.


"Remove from deck after play", is resolved with mandatory events where the card event is resolved and then the power who played the card gets to spend their two OPS. The card is then set aside and removed.

"Remove from deck if played as event" only removes certain event cards when they are played as events (or in some cases when played as a response card), but not when they are used for OPs.

I hope that makes sense.

EDIT: Fixed wording.


yes that does make sense, thanks for the clarification.

it just seemed a bit double, and unclear when reading the rules.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JoelCFC25 wrote:
HerrJork wrote:
are there cards that you remove from the deck when played for cp's?

Not in this game. There are a couple of oddball events that only get removed if a certain precondition is met (Sebastian Cabot, Sack of Rome).

Virgin Queen has one card--Mary Queen of Scots--that can potentially be removed even if used for CP (if Mary has died).


I'm not contemplating getting another multiplayer wargame just yet, we've yet got to play our first game of HiS, and you tempt me with another ninja

we've got from 12:30 until whenever coming friday to play it for the first time
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrJork wrote:
JoelCFC25 wrote:
HerrJork wrote:
are there cards that you remove from the deck when played for cp's?

Not in this game. There are a couple of oddball events that only get removed if a certain precondition is met (Sebastian Cabot, Sack of Rome).

Virgin Queen has one card--Mary Queen of Scots--that can potentially be removed even if used for CP (if Mary has died).


I'm not contemplating getting another multiplayer wargame just yet, we've yet got to play our first game of HiS, and you tempt me with another ninja

we've got from 12:30 until whenever coming friday to play it for the first time


If your group enjoys HIS, they might like VQ, but I would recommend you play HIS a few times first. They are both very good games. Please let us know how your first session goes!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah I know we'd enjoy VQ
the guys I'll be playing HiS with Friday also like Revolution: The Dutch Revolt 1568-1648 same time, different game, is a bit shorter
I'm just dreading my impeccable urge to read up on the history that is portrayed in a game. (that's why I usually play Euro's or sci-fi games)

the list for HiS is quite long
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Will W wrote:
There is also Grand Tour, which is removed if played (for CP or event) after the Catholic League forms.

Thanks--annoyingly, they chose to note this only in the Card FAQ section of the Scenario Book and not on the card itself like they did with Mary Queen of Scots, which is why I missed it. shake
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.