Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Garr
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be a dumb question but does Ion cannons hit through shields or take shield tokens then the hull. Dont have a ywing or an ion cannon yet and was just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ion cannons inflict a maximum of one damage and restrict the movement of the ship it hits. The one point of damage is affected by shields just like any other damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This help?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Garr
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it does thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacobgarr wrote:
Yes it does thanks!

Actually, this is the first time I've questioned it...

It says "suffers one damage" not "takes one hit".

Does it pass through shields?

Edit: Its been a long day at work, I must be over reading...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pg 16 of the rulebook talks about applying damage. Suffering one damage would qualify for applying damage. Step 1 reduces shields, Step 2 inflicts Hull damage. So I would say no, the Ion Cannon does not bypass shields.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Jacobgarr wrote:
Yes it does thanks!

Actually, this is the first time I've questioned it...

It says "suffers one damage" not "takes one hit".

Does it pass through shields?

Edit: Its been a long day at work, I must be over reading...

You're not overreading. I've seen that interpretation several times on several forums. Suffers one damage is being assumed to mean that the hit bypasses shields.
This is only hampered by the previous examples of ion weapons in star wars games where ion weaponry bypasses shields or completely depletes shields.

Honestly, without having the rulebook in my lap, I could see this one going either way. An official ruling from FFG would be handy as future craft (Slave 1, Bwing, and possibly even the MF) may be using ion weaponry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suffers 1 damage - think of it as netting 1 damage result. Shields take the hit first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but you are disabled whether or not the shot penetrates your shields, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drasher25 wrote:
Yes, but you are disabled whether or not the shot penetrates your shields, right?

Correct, the application of the Ion Marker is automatic. There is no dependency on hull damage.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My understanding of it as a ploaytester was that if you get one hit (after cancelling out evade dice), you trigger the Ion cannon. That means no matter what, it is moving 1-straight and suffers 1 hit. If the target still has shields, the shield is reduced.

In other words, it does not bypass shields to go straight to hull nor does a shield prevent ionization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
In other words, it does not bypass shields to go straight to hull nor does a shield prevent ionization.

That's my reading of it too.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Grand Master Cabalist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if you hit a ship that has already moved but has not attacked?

Does the ion damage cancel everything until after the next movement phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jedijawa74 wrote:
What happens if you hit a ship that has already moved but has not attacked?

Does the ion damage cancel everything until after the next movement phase?

Ion damage has no effect on combat so the ship can still shoot normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Regarding the Ion Token card: Am I the only one that thinks spending the first third of a reference card explaining what a reference card is and what kind of reference card *this particular* reference card is and why you should keep it tends to be redundant?

I would think the title, the card type, and the rules would be sufficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jhamin wrote:
Regarding the Ion Token card: Am I the only one that thinks spending the first third of a reference card explaining what a reference card is and what kind of reference card *this particular* reference card is and why you should keep it tends to be redundant?

I didn't even notice that till you pointed it out. That does seem comical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Jhamin wrote:

Remember, this is trying to reach a new target audience. Those that like Star Wars but may not be gamers. People who don't game may try to figure out how to shuffle this card or select it as a pilot.

I remember being told that the most effective speech (attributed to Reagan, I believe) is to tell them what you are going to tell them, tell them, and then tell them what you told them. So every once in a while, duplication and redundancy are fine and dandy at times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Jhamin wrote:

Remember, this is trying to reach a new target audience. Those that like Star Wars but may not be gamers. People who don't game may try to figure out how to shuffle this card or select it as a pilot.

I remember being told that the most effective speech (attributed to Reagan, I believe) is to tell them what you are going to tell them, tell them, and then tell them what you told them. So every once in a while, duplication and redundancy are fine and dandy at times.

That may be true orally. In print, especially in rules references, saying the same thing more than once can invite rules arguments rather than clearing them up. In this case it is pretty harmless, but overall it makes rules less clear rather than more clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

This Public Service Announcement has been brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian giese
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so I am just missing some detail
The rules are posted above, but I'm still confused

Rules

If the attack hits the target ship, the ship suffers 1 damage and receives 1 ion token. Then cancel all dice results.

Question

Does this literraly mean I roll 3 attack dice. I get 2 normal hits 1 crit.

Because its an ion cannon and I have 1 hit. The enemy ship only suffers 1 damage (their DEF dice dont matter) and get 1 ion token. No other damage happens because we cancel the dice results (which will also ignore any attacker/defender dice modification ablitiies)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Their DEF dice DO matter. In your scenario above, if the defender rolled 3 dodges, then the Ion Cannons missed. If the defender say only rolled 1 dodge, the Ion Cannons hit, do only 1 damage and place an Ion Token on the ship.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note that you do not ignore attacker/defender dice modifications, that all happens before you figure out if the ship has been hit. Remember the combat/attack order:
1. Declare Target
2. Roll Attack Dice
3. Modify Attack Dice
4. Roll Defense Dice
5. Modify Defense Dice
6. Compare Results
7. Deal Damage

You do all modifications before you "compare results" which is where you determine if the defender was actually hit or not. So the Ion Cannons do nothing to change the above, except for step #7, Deal Damage. It deals damage uniquely, in that it only deals 1 hit maximum and also an Ion Token to the ship.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
As usual, shnar has got it... The dice are used as usual only to see if a hit is scored. If a hit is scored, then the effect particular to the ion cannon takes place - that is, 1 damage (applied as any other one point of damage would be: to shields first, then hull), and an ion token.

The actual results of the dice beyond "hit = true" are irrelevant.

Just got my Y-Wings last night and spent some time considering all this, myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reitoei wrote:
Just got my Y-Wings last night and spent some time considering all this, myself.

Played a game with a Y-Wing last night, man they're beasts! That friggin Ion Cannon with it's 360 degree firing arc allowing it to shoot at TIEs from behind was rough. And with 3 shields and 5 hull, it was hard to take them out. It took some concentrated effort and Concussion Missiles from Darth Vader to fill it.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Grand Master Cabalist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played with these last night and wondered why the card said:

"Then cancel all dice results."

What does that mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.