Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing a game yesterday, this card came up. FARC had a base in Choco, but there were no guerrillas there. Can I still target FARC to loose 5 resources?

Thanks,
Jesse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordJesse wrote:
Playing a game yesterday, this card came up. FARC had a base in Choco, but there were no guerrillas there. Can I still target FARC to loose 5 resources?

Thanks,
Jesse

I'm going to say yes.

My very first stab at answering a question on this game! You should be very careful of it! But I think "resources" (or "pieces") is a deliberate choice of words that includes bases, not just guerrillas. Hopefully a far more knowledgable person than I will come along and set us both straight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
For now.
flag msg tools
badge
mb
What is the wording on the card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Larose
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree: yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
LordJesse wrote:

Thanks,
Jesse

5.1.3 applies here. BUT, and this is important, A GUERRILLA MUST BE REMOVED IF POSSIBLE! The event does NOT say to target a faction, rather to remove a guerrilla.

So, if there is another faction in Choco with a Guerrilla, that guerrilla would be removed and that faction would suffer -5 Resources.

Make sense?

Edit: After thinking on this some more, I'm thinking that if a guerrilla is not removed, the event does not allow for the targeting of a faction so the provision of -5 resources would not apply.

Volko?

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joel_m_toppen wrote:

Edit: After thinking on this some more, I'm thinking that if a guerrilla is not removed, the event does not allow for the targeting of a faction so the provision of -5 resources would not apply.

Volko?

-Joel

That was the conclusion we came to. As there was no guerrilla removed, the guerrilla's faction would be indeterminate.

The wording of the card is something like:
'Remove a guerrilla from Choco. That faction looses 5 resources.'

Jesse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
LordJesse wrote:
joel_m_toppen wrote:

Volko?

-Joel

That was the conclusion we came to. As there was no guerrilla removed, the guerrilla's faction would be indeterminate.

The wording of the card is something like:
'Remove a guerrilla from Choco. That faction looses 5 resources.'

Jesse

That is pretty close, but its actually:

Quote:
71. Darién CAFG
Arms traffic interdicted: Remove a Guerrilla from Chocó; its Faction suffers –5 Resources.
Border sanctuary: Place 1-2 Bases in Panamá. It is a 0 Pop Forest. Sweep does not Activate Guerrillas there.

I am not 100% sure, but I agree with you. I would think that a guerrilla has to be removed in order for a faction to take the -5 resource hit. Unless the semi-colon means that the guerrilla removal is not a requirement to lose the resources...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
For now.
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yeah, the removal of the guerilla is a pre-requisite for the guerilla's faction losing 5 resources. No guerilla to remove, no faction to target with the resource loss.

This makes sense thematically with the card too. If there are no guerillas trafficking arms in that department, then they cannot be interdicted by government forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I wasn't be clear enough in my edit. Sorry!

Let me try again:

I believe a Guerrilla has to be removed in order for the -5 Resources to apply. The event does not say to target a FACTION. It says to remove a guerrilla and that the faction to which that removed guerrilla belongs suffers a -5 Resource loss.

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shauneroo wrote:
Yeah, the removal of the guerilla is a pre-requisite for the guerilla's faction losing 5 resources. No guerilla to remove, no faction to target with the resource loss.

This makes sense thematically with the card too. If there are no guerillas trafficking arms in that department, then they cannot be interdicted by government forces.

What I was going to say! Thanks all for responding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
LordJesse wrote:

Thanks,
Jesse

I'm going to say yes.

My very first stab at answering a question on this game! You should be very careful of it! But I think "resources" (or "pieces") is a deliberate choice of words that includes bases, not just guerrillas. Hopefully a far more knowledgable person than I will come along and set us both straight

So, as it turns out...I was wrong. On a yes/no question. Hmm, will teach me to get the actual wording on the card and not make assumptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
... I think "resources" (or "pieces") is a deliberate choice of words that includes bases, not just guerrillas.

But your application of principle was correct!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:
Quote:
... I think "resources" (or "pieces") is a deliberate choice of words that includes bases, not just guerrillas.

But your application of principle was correct!

Thanks Volko!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.