Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BGG Admin
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
I almost never play long games, but this was just right. Even on a rare Saturday session I feel time would be wasted with a six-hour game, but this one took about three. Since Teddy was the only one that had played before, I think we all watched him carefully...there isn't a whole lot of backstabbing in the game, but there are plenty of deals & promises both made and broken. I think in the first turn Jerry, Glenn, and Jonathan took very moderate leads, but that was sufficient justification for Teddy, Dave, and I to band together in turn two, leapfrogging ahead. The start of turn three opened with a fairly hefty war/tension level of 14. We took care of it, Dave being the biggest contributor and scoring four victory points. It branded him the game leader, though, and combined with his political gains in the previous turn two, made him the odd man out for turn three's deals. He expected that, and made a calculated move to make the most of it, but later second-guessed himself (right idea, wrong country selected--I agree). By now Glenn and especially Jerry were quite a ways back, so they managed to work their way into most or all of the turn's coalitions. I went along for much of the ride, but Jonathan got squeezed out. Teddy smooth-talked his way into a couple deals, despite his position.

Now, I just *knew* this was the sort of game you don't want to look strong in, going into the final turn. But it wasn't quite that simple. Turn three had seen Glenn springboard *way* out into the front, I was a ways back, and the rest followed. The final turn's conflict turned out to be nothing more than level 1...but that caused its own tension (what a neat mechanic!). Glenn wisely chose to spend big to secure the peacenik points, knowing his chances were slim for joining voting coalitions as the game leader. And it ended up winning the game for him, with Teddy charging up to second place. We also took a look at a different course Teddy could've taken in the final turn, but that still put him in second, this time behind me.

I was definitely impressed by the game. A good mix of real-world map with German game symmetry of opportunity. It's been a while since I was in such a deal-making game, and I enjoyed it. Not one I'd play all that often due to its length (for a weeknight session), but a good one nonetheless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.