Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ooops... I was logged in as Ruth, logging her "games played" this weekend.

False Alarm. She has yet to log onto the geek. Maybe some day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My picks: Loco!, Nobody But Us Chickens, Boomtown, Carcassonne: The City. Just over $60 online (before shipping, though). Carc: The City is the obvious place to cut costs, but it would be a neat cornerstone for a new game collection and most nice bits games are gonna cost you at least $25 anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Sale
TransAmerica (or Europa)
Pickomino
Take It Easy
Reiner Knizia's Poison

All pretty cheap and all a lot of fun.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Abstract Game - Either Blokus or Ingenious. Both look gorgeous and are simple enough for children to understand and play. Blokus looks better and is more familiar because people associate it with Tetris, but Ingenious works better with only 2/3 players, whereas Blokus is best with 4.

2) Settlers of Catan - Settlers deserves its own category because it is a must-have for any family collection. It's such a perfect game for these circumstances. It's a great introduction to the hobby since it has a modular board, resource management, negotiation, etc.

3) Tile-laying game - My choice would be Carcassonne, the original, but a lot of people on here will tell you to go with Hunters & Gatherers instead, or maybe even Ark. Either way Carcassonne would be a great way to introduce them to tile-laying games. Alhambra would be a decent choice too, but doesn't have the same level of interaction as Carc.

4) Trains - I'd go with Ticket to Ride (the original) for this, rather than the Europe version, or TransAmerica/Europa. I think the original Ticket to Ride is such a fun, engaging, easy to pick up and play, game that you can't go wrong showing them this one.

TOTAL = $87.38

(Sorry I exceeded your total by a little bit, but I really think those four games would be excellent choices).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd actually vote for having them take advantage of Thoughthammer's free shipping in order to get a nice assortment, but for $50 I'd say:

Travel Blokus
Ticket to Ride
Reiner Knizia's Poison

I know that's only three games, but they'd probably get lots of use out of them. If they can pony up another $50, they could add:

Alhambra
10 Days in Africa/the USA
Carc (the original or Hunters and Gatherers or Ark of the Covenant)
For Sale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
For Sale and Ticket to Ride are great suggestions. They have been winners with my non-gaming friends.

Some 2 player games- Lost Cities, Blue Moon, Balloon Cup and Dracula are all Kosmos games and they are cheaper.

Through the Desert is good b/c it's easy, visual and adds some good tactics.

I've found that card games are also an easy thing for people to get into- like Bohnanza, Bang, Summer Camp, and possibly a Steve Jackson game like Chez geek or Mumnchkin- though these require some past experiences with RPGs, etc. etc.

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nalani Mixon
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will add my vote for Ticket to Ride and Carc but would like to add Bang.

edit: OOOO yes Bohnanza can't believe I almost forgot thatshake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Modern Art (16.25)
Bohnanza (11.38)
Carc H&G (16.22)
Citadels (12.97)

I could happily live on a desert island with these four. About $6 over $50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.