Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Bruce
United Kingdom
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My 6 year old daughter has requested a game which involves story telling. As I do not know anything about these games I could really do with being pointed in the right direction. Because of her age it cannot require quick reading and would be even better if there were no reading involved so we could include her younger sister.

We have had a go at the story cubes but wondered if there was anything that was more of a game out there.

Thanks for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite storytelling, but in that vein, how about Dixit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bruce
United Kingdom
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Lawcomic wrote:
Not quite storytelling, but in that vein, how about Dixit?

I did have a quick lok as it seems quite popular. What about age? Is 6 too young or are the pictures straight forward?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 6 would be fine. There may be a variant that's more straightforward than the original. The pictures are intentionally vague.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game might suit you. Take a look at Rory's Story Cubes and the follow-up sets, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Tales of the Arabian Nights

With a bit of help from Mum and Dad.

I love Dixit but I know that 6 year olds and 60 year olds can struggle with giving clues that are vague and don't immediately give away which card is yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Story Realms is on Kickstarter now and looks to be great. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/springboard/story-realms...

12 Realms
is a print and play that will be on Kickstarter soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Slomiany
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Look into "Happy Birthday Robot"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quint Wheeler
United States
North Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
Q
badge
Q
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabula works really well with my kids (6, 9, and 12). Although you need at least 3 or 4 players to use the real rules - one person plays the storyteller/judge while the others make up the stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Escapade Crew
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
robbdaman wrote:
Story Realms is on Kickstarter now and looks to be great. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/springboard/story-realms... [thing=68606]

Thanks for mentioning Story Realms! We made this game to answer that very question. As a gamer and a mom, I've wanted to find a way to enjoy my love of great stories and fun cooperative gameplay with my kids!

We have had amazing success playing Story Realms with our own children (both designers have 6 year old daughters!) as well as received great playtest reports and convention experiences playing the game with young children. It was designed from the ground up to be accessible to kids and enjoyable for adults to play The unfortunate part is that the full Story Realms game won't be out until. next year. However, we do have a free print and play adventure available on the Kickstarter page that you can check out and play right away!

I've also picked up "Happy Birthday Robot", "Rory's Story Cubes", and "Rawr" to play with my kids, but haven't had a chance to try them yet.

My almost 7 year old thinks Tales of the Arabian Nights is too long to sit through (but she played a over 3 hour game of Lords of Waterdeep with us this week), so there's another perspective to consider.

We love playing Dixit together, but it doesn't feel much like a "story game" to me because each round is ind of a one-liner, and there's no overall narrative to it. Goblins Drool, Fairies Rule is another great fun game along similar lines that is very cute but not so much a grand story experience.

If you find something that fits and is enjoyable, please share! Always on the lookout for cool games to engage with my little ones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Dixit, Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game, Tales of the Arabian Nights, and Rory's Story Cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Jones
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
I am calling a Grand Tichu!
badge
In old Ohio there's a team, That's known thru-out the land; Eleven warriors, brave and bold, Whose fame will ever stand, And when the ball goes over, Our cheers will reach the sky, Ohio Field will hear again The Buckeye Battle Cry.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend

Rory's Story Cubes and Rory's Story Cubes: Actions

an older game, that might be hard to find, but that my now teenage girls enjoyed when they were around 6 wasLilly's Purple Plastic Purse Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Iagallo
United States
Rochdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deffinately Mice and Mystics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Dixit It will allow the child to use their imagination and be creative in a story-telling kind of way. Dixit with small children wouldn't have the same the same level of 'nuance' used when playing with adults, but could still be a very fun experience for the child.

I also enjoy Tales of the Arabian Nights but I would think that might get a little frustrating for children that young....better for teens and pre-teens IMO.

My main suggestion is to read a book with them instead. Pick up an E.B. White book and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Braggart is a light fun family game themed around "telling stories". Would work well for kids. It does have text on the cards though, the idea is you arrange the cards in order so they tell a story. It would actually be good practice for a kid learning to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My girls (ages 4, 7, and 8) received The Storybook Game from my parents and they enjoyed playing it.
I also found a couple others that are similar: Tell Tale and Story Play Cards Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bruce
United Kingdom
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
robbdaman wrote:
Story Realms is on Kickstarter now and looks to be great. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/springboard/story-realms...

12 Realms
is a print and play that will be on Kickstarter soon.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Looks really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Clover is a cute little story game about a little girl and her dad and people in her neighborhood having everyday adventures. It's actually quite sweet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.