Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always interested when I go to the grocery store to figure out how much families spend on their food, staples, paper towels, etc (not alcohol).

So, for the good of humanity, can you tell us generally where you live, how many people are in your household, and your weekly grocery store cost (some people call grocery stores "the market"). If you buy piecemeal (butcher, baker, farmer's market, etc), just combine the tally.

Thank you.

I'll go first

In South Carolina
4 in family (2 adults, 2 children)
Around $290
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
I'll go first

In South Carolina
4 in family (2 adults, 2 children)
Around $290

Is that per week?

It's been a long time since I figured mine out, I'll get back to you- I'll try to look at my receipts and do an estimate. I'm gonna guess it's around $200 a week for five people.

Now that my eldest is off to college our bill has gone down considerably- she was the one with the hollow leg. Of course, room and board more than makes up for the savings at home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is per week. I can't purchase at longer intervals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New York
2 adults
Around $100

We're trying to be frugal right now, though hopefully I will find a job and we can go out to eat here and there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I think about it, I know mine will be more than $200 a week. My budget took a big hit when I had to stop buying canned food due to BPA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd love the book "How the World Eats"

See also the photo essay from Time - http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1626519,00.htm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I can hardly believe it, but looking over May, June, July and August, my grocery bill was slightly under $200 a week!

Family of five, Michigan.

I'm going to have to save receipts for a while and see if this holds true, I'm slightly skeptical even though I do try very hard to be frugal with our money.

BTW: just for the fun of it, I asked TomA what would be the max a family of four could get in food stamps.

Of course, there are many variables, but if they had absolutely zero income (not even welfare money - which is called a grant now), they could get just about $600 a month. He doesn't know anyone who actually gets that much because most people have SOME income. Either they are getting a grant or social security or child support or have a low paying job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Florida, family of 3

$150/week (we eat in a lot).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
Boston area, 2 of us, my wife & I are at $100 per week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I am impressed with how economically people can eat. We eat in pretty much exclusively (except for my lunches during work days, which I do not count into the grocery bill). And after you get all the fresh produce and meat, it's hard to stay under $300, at least for us. And we only have two kids and they're both under 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pack Sam's lunches, and send him off with coffee in the morning, so we get almost no prepared or out-of-house food these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live across the street from a farmer's market, so that helps a lot.

For example, this last two weeks red, yellow, orange and green peppers are 4/$1.00.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Connecticut
Just me.
$40-50 per week

Though, if I'm really frugal, I can probably cut that down to maybe $30.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Family of 3, we spend about $150 a week w/one baby formula at about $40 a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I represent no danger.
mb
Randy Cox wrote:
I am impressed with how economically people can eat. We eat in pretty much exclusively (except for my lunches during work days, which I do not count into the grocery bill). And after you get all the fresh produce and meat, it's hard to stay under $300, at least for us. And we only have two kids and they're both under 10.

I noticed the North Carolina family in the Time photos was around $390/mo. What's going on out there in the Carolinas?

I'm in Orange County, CA and for a family of 4.75 (one in the oven) we spend between $200 and $250 depending on how exotic the menu is (and occasionally we have a $100 month). We eat out about once per week. So, that's breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks for the whole week.

We buy little to no meat, though. Meat is crazy expensive. But we do spring for mostly organic produce. Also, we do not buy much packaged food. Almost everything is ingredients (rice, flour, produce, beans, coffee, milk, cheese, oatmeal, etc.).

It would be interesting to add to the question, how many stores do you grocery shop at? We go to 2-3 stores per week. We prefer Trader Joe's for almost everything, but we get much of our produce at Mother's (TJ's is getting better, but their produce used to rot the next day). Then we hit the major supermarket for for a few things occasionally. Oh, and there's Amazon, so add that. We get lots of grocery store items from Amazon on subscribe and save (laundry and dishwasher detergent, diapers, bath soap, batteries, deodorant, sandwich baggies, contact lens solution). I pay for a Costco membership but almost never use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
In California. For one: $80/week.

I am lonely and apparently eat a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
I'm always interested when I go to the grocery store to figure out how much families spend on their food, staples, paper towels, etc (not alcohol).

Quote:
staples…not alcohol

I read the words, but they don't make any sense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was living alone, I spent maybe $35 a week. Now that I live with a partner, it's probably at least $100 a week for the two of us. But I'm eating much more delicious food which is totally worth it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Western Ohio
2 adults, 3 kids
~$150/week

I constantly worry that we are spending entirely too much, then I see stuff like that 'Hungry Planet' series, and it makes me think that (compared to other people in the US) that we must be dirt poor to be that concerned.

Honestly I think we eat pretty extravagantly, but then again my family really was dirt poor growing up, so enchiladas are pretty fancy to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just me, Milwaukee. I figure about 45 a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
It would be interesting to add to the question, how many stores do you grocery shop at?

We mostly shop at the ShopRite down the street, and about once a week we go to the Orchards about 5 mins away that have a farm store with vegetables, fruits, locally baked breads, etc. The prices are often cheaper than the grocery store, and the quality is high, so what I can get there, I do. Very good cucumbers, potatoes, and bread.

Occasionally, when we have to go to Target or Walmart for something else, we get a few groceries there as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bear Gordon
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Five in the family
Richland, WA
$225/week includes beer and wine so maybe $210ish

We have been going on a lot of dates so we spent about $300 a month on restaurants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Looks like most families represented here are spending about $50 per person per week. That's sounds like what we spend on average.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of us in central Nagoya. If we really, really wanted to we could rock about $60 US between us.

That would include meat, veg, rice, pasta, raw ingredients for sauces etc. We don't eat many desserts at home and I can dial in snacking when I want to.

I probably spend that much again on alcohol. whistle

In practice probably over $100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About $125/week, for me and my wife, living on Long Island. It used to be around $100/week when we were living in NJ, but things are just more expensive here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.