Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing 3 games, our group came to the conclusion that VP awarded for profit at the end of an era should not be attributed to negative scores. Sacrifing an era to have full capacity in the next era should not be rewarded.

Owll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McMahon
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
You buy weird things when you have to much GG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like an answer on this.

We had a player do this last game and I thought is was a neat strategy. I agree that you should not be rewarded for negative profits, but it doesn't say not to give out victory points in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krister Nevin
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much of business is on front loading debt and taking bigger profits later though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are only "rewarded" in a three player game. Even then, you are getting a pittance compared with first and second.

With more than three you will be missing out entirely on that round's scoring. And, you still have to fill that stuff in the next round. It doesn't fill itself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McMahon
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
However, the unfilled capacity does not count against profits in the future rounds. Therefore you can take a large negative early in the game so that you can get more passengers delivered and thus more profits later.

It does work well in a 3-player game. But I think it may also have merit in a 4 or 5 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the rules: It is the absolute scores. During playtests, the negative profits occurred and it is very much not forbidden in the rules.

Note that this is a strategy that is often employed, and is most successful bridging Eras 1 and 2. Note that if everyone is trying it, you can often look for ways to devastate it by getting your profit in Era 1, then sniping airports in Era 2 when their strategy depends on taking turn after turn claiming passengers. Moves and countermoves...

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Only played twice thus far, but it seems to me a possible downside of this strategy (i.e. sacrificing one's profit in Era 1 to win the "profit" race in later eras) is that you could wind up behind the other players in Era 2 in terms of purchasing planes and getting Level 2 airports in play, meaning you could get hurt in airport majority scoring (particularly in Europe as your level 1 airports get bumped). Also, remember that any newer planes you add to your fleet will count against your capacity (profit) if they don't get filled, therefore it's likely you will not be wanting to add as much new capacity as the other players.

By contrast, the one upside is you will probably get first crack at any Era 2 passengers, provided they are to cities laid out in Era 1, or leftovers from Era 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McMahon
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex:

Thank you for the response and startegy tips!

John:

Keep in mind when you use your passenger capacity in later rounds, you don't need to fill the left-over passanger capacity first. devil
Therefore you could pick up some era 2 airplanes and fill their capacity while leaving era 1 airpplane excess capacity for the final era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.