Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Do you read about the conflict before playing it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
I just received a copy of Israeli Independence, which will be my first wargame. I'm completely new, so would you recommend reading about the Arab-Israeli War before I play, so that I can better visualize it, or will I have a better experience if I go into the game not knowing what to expect? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark, my imagination usually drives my gaming choices, and my imagination is inspired, in turn, by my reading. I have picked up games, such as King Philip's War--a truly monotone piece in a world of colour--and then read up on the historical event. But if there is a chicken or egg question here, the young me read before I had wargames. If it helps, I try to read, or reread, books to match the battle of campaign while playing the game. But not always. Sometimes the most refreshing bouts of both reading and gaming come from playing games that do not match the history books that I read. This can offer a fresh perspective upon both.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't even know how much I relate the two (Reading and Games). Sometimes I read sometimes I play. I don't know as for me one ever inspires the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before,during and after...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer largely depends on you and how you play wargames, but obviously you can't know yet. I'd say reading up on the conflict if you don't know about it already will help enhance your experience of it, because you'll have a better idea what's going on. Just don't let the game sit unplayed until you get round to the reading. Play it and read up and then play it more. You'll see for yourself what difference if any it makes for you. For the overwhelming majority of people the difference is huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett W
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mark, If you enjoy reading military history by all means read about the conflicts you play. The simulation and the readings will complement each other adding to your enjoyment of both. It's safe to say that this view is supported by practically all wargamers. I hope you find wargaming an interesting & challenging hobby. If you grow to love it your wallet will quickly become less cumbersome to carry about
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
Much depends on your purpose:

(1) If you have a somewhat arcane subject that you don't much about embodied in a wargame title you've just purchased, it's often helpful to read a bit first so you can understand the rationales behind the rules and have some background for the scenarios...then they really come to life. Other reasons are to "wargame" your favorite "if the commander(s) had only done this or that." There's also that wonderful ability to annoy your opponent with tidbits of historical trivia while playing--let's not forget the intimidating psychological factor of that in tense competition!

(2) If you have a game on something somewhat familiar, you are oriented enough to play but the game experience causes you to question some things in the design...so you pick up books to learn more and perhaps understand (or better argue against) design decisions. There's also something to be said for going into a game cold and looking at things with a fresh eye. I've done that with ancients games (particularly scenarios in the GMT GBoH series) so I had a better vicarious experience of what this historical commanders might have had to face since they had not the benefit of history to guide their decisions. Only after I play once or twice (maybe even three times more!) will I pick up a book to reinforce my board wargame experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j page
Canada
edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Buy the game and related book(s). Read books use game map and pieces to help understand the where and when as required. Then play game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicken or the Egg huh? For me its just that, reading inspires me to put a game on the table and playing a game inspires me to read related books. Its a vicious cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest Schubert
United States
Polk Township
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I loved military history before I found gaming. So I had a at least a passing knowledge of most conflicts that the games covered. I can't really picture being interested in wargaming and NOT being interested in history. I will say that certain games made me even MORE interested in certain aspects of military history. Certainly Winter War by SPI spurred me to learn more about the Russo-Finnish conflict. Armegeddon got me to read more about ancient warfare.

But I think you're asking..."would you read-up on a conflict before playing a new game?" and I think my answer would be 'no'. I'd probably play the game and then read up to learn more about what really happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
I'd say reading up on the conflict if you don't know about it already will help enhance your experience of it, because you'll have a better idea what's going on.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Years ago when I played games more--rather than study them--after getting the rules down, I would read the Designer and Player Notes and launch right into a game. (Ah, the good ole days...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I always sleep with a copy of the rules beneath my pillow. That way I'm guaranteed sweet, sexy dreams about aging generals. With boobs. They always have boobs, for some strange reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
McGrim, i'm starting to assemble a decent collection of mostly GMT wargames. One of the many things i like about GMT's games is that they include good historical summaries of the battles and wars being covered. I read those before the rules.

Beyond that... my wife's a librarian, so this is how lazy i am. I order my books from the library online and than have her bring them home for me when she's done working laugh I can't play a wargame about a battle i'm not familiar with. It doesn't work for me.

If possible, we also try to visit the battlefields in person...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The play's the thing ...
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Going thirty-eight, Dan, chill the f*** out. Mow your damn lawn and sit the hell down.
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
Before,during and after...

Also helps me to work out how badly I'm doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Very little nowadays. I've a fair background in history, but
am more interested in seeing the story play out in the games now.

The problem is, I forget things easily - so it's tough to
hold onto a lot of the historical knowledge I had (most of
which was either at a high strategic level, focused on
the physics of weapons, or tactical system interactions).

Reading never really translated the operational level to me well.
Given my usual interests in games, I'm wondering if that's just
an area I'm less interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
McGrim wrote:
I just received a copy of Israeli Independence, which will be my first wargame. I'm completely new, so would you recommend reading about the Arab-Israeli War before I play, so that I can better visualize it, or will I have a better experience if I go into the game not knowing what to expect? Thanks!

1948: A History of the First Arab-Israeli War, by Benny Morris.

I read this book this year and found it a useful introduction to the topic.

You get a clear understanding of why the creation of the state of Isreal, forced on the United Nations by the USA and it's allies, was such a cataclysmic event that will never be resolved until a non-religious, multinational state is established in Palestine in it's place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Do you read about the conflict before playing it?

Very often, after having played a game on a conflict I know very little about, I will read one or many books on the historical period that concerns the game.

For instance, after having bought this year this genius game called Lost Battles, I started reading many books on ancient wars, and even signed up to the magazine of the Society of Ancients.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
"Do you read about the conflict before playing it?'

The short answer would be yes. I have more military history books than wargames!
They enhance each other!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Corney
United Kingdom
Lisburn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it was always reading first that inspired my choice of a game.

When I was a kid then I read books about the second world war so all my original games were about WWII. The more I read the more games I acquired and the more games I wanted. So when I read a history book the first thing I do when it's finished is to look for a game that covers the period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Mallet wrote:
You get a clear understanding of why the creation of the state of Isreal, forced on the United Nations by the USA and it's allies, was such a cataclysmic event that will never be resolved until a non-religious, multinational state is established in Palestine in it's place.

Nonsense. Please take this to the politics forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends. For me, if it's a familiar subject, I may just dive right into the game. If it's not so well known, I like to get a little background information first.

If the subject is a historical battle, it can be argued that you can get tremendous insights into the subject either way - reading first lets you understand the historical context while playing first may give you a more pure gaming experience, since you go into the fight with about the same sense of the battle as the original commander.

Either way, congratulations on taking the plunge into wargames. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
McGrim wrote:

Absolutely, you should read about it. It puts names to faces, as it were.

Watching "Valyrie" before I played The Plot to Assassinate Hitler made the game really interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another factor that cranks up the "books vs wargames synergy" is the occurrence of anniversaries of famous or not-so-famous battles or wars.

Since we are in 2012, there is a flurry of books and wargames coming out in relation to the 200th anniversary of the 1812 war between america and great britain that took place on canadian soil.

Here are two examples of good books on the topic, written by the winning side.

Indeed, a few games have come out recently, like 1812: The Invasion of Canada, which is very ingenious and enjoyable, despite being very much on the simple side, and Amateurs to Arms!, which I have never played, but since the designer also designed Conquest of Paradise, a game I find brilliant and very fun, I have high expectations for the 1812 game also.

This upcoming game, Mr. Madison's War: The Incredible War of 1812, is predicted to be good also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
McGrim wrote:

As an Israeli, my one comment apart from my previous direct answer to the OP is a caution to always investigate a book or other source before buying it or otherwise diving into it.

Some topics in history are heavily politicized. A amateur historian will do well to be aware which parts of history are so contentious and to tread carefully when investigating the subject. I'm an Israeli and so do not think I should make recommendations about the conflict mentioned in the OP as I will be viewed as inherently biased. Investigate for yourself and then act accordingly.

Even when this politicization is not the case, some historians have a political axe to grind. My original intention went entering university was to become an ancient historian. Yet you'd be surprised the topics I found were discussed in even peer reviewed journals in a manner I'd consider highly politically charged. All I can say is use due diligence when approaching any historical topic to fin a source you trust. That's one of the reasons I personally prefer highly scholarly works with lots of fottnotes etc simply because fewer loonies can write such things.

In any case, read up, play games and enjoy both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.