Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
But with a twist. As a gamer converted to cardboard gaming less than a year ago, there are tons of games that I am unaware of. Here's what I am looking for:

These games were once the cult of the new. They are no longer spoken of. Yet they are just as good as the hype that got BGG all a-twittering about the game was.

In other words: Game is announced, tons of hype, game is released, cult of the new, you bought it based off this hype, expectations met! Then game falls off the collective BGG radar..... yet when you pull it off your shelf, the game is as good as when you first bought it. The game that didn't make it into a Malcolm Gladwell novel, but not due to its level of quality, rather this kind of thing sometimes happens for no apparent reason whereas Princes of Florence still gets buzz.

So, what games do this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this would also beg the question, if these games were so great, why didn't they have more staying power? Why did all the hype die down? How big of a factor is staying power when you think about "good games"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hence why I made this thread. Logically, a good game should never lose its hype. Still, some games just lose recognition for no good reason.

Let's take Hawaii, for example. I know nothing about this game. The first thing I did when it came up on my radar is watch Tom Vasel toss it in the garbage. That was enough for me to dismiss it when I had what felt like 50 other games vying for my attention. I did try to get through his second video where he explains it, but wasn't able to focus due to his attitude and my attention being pulled elsewhere.

However, I have yet to see another negative review of this game. What I do see is a lot of praise. This may be a good game but it fell off my list of potentials, possibly for good, because a prominent reviewer loathed it and even if I'd like it, I doubt I would more than other games under the light colorful Eurogame umbrella(like Finca).

This can totally happen on a macro level. A good game gets a few bad words after release, totally subjective, and those who do like the game don't feel like talking about it, due to perceived lack of willing partners to discuss with, which leads to less and less people talking.

Or take Homesteaders. It had hype going into it, and when it was released a lot of people had many good words to say about the gameplay. But component issues dissuaded folks. The second printing fixed these issues. So now you have a great tense economic engine builder with parallels to Agricola and Puerto Rico that is shafted in the ratings and in the zeitgeist due to poor first edition issues. Not giving judgement, just saying how it is. I own this game and think it's an amazing Euro with a lot of depth that scales well, excellent wife-friendly components, and plays in a very short time. It would also be an amazing gateway game for non-gamers (just yesterday, I played it with a sports-nut who has a negative perception of boardgames due to being uninformed of the gaming world. He was totally into it by the end of round 3, and was skeptical as hell with a negative attitude 10 minutes earlier. He saw by the end how a boardgame can be a satisfying, enjoyable, activity for adults. And I didn't need to play Agricola with him for 2-3 hours to do it!). If someone introduced me to this game today, I'd be grateful as hell. Yet barely anyone mentions it in a million threads I read where this game would be a great recommendation. However, almost every word I read about this game from folks who have played it is effusive praise.

Of course, those are just two clumsy examples of how a good game that people bought due to hype and loved can fall off the radar. But it can happen. And I'd like to find out about more of these games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.