Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: mrjr_rsp [+] [View All]
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After frustrating experiences with getting RealmSpeak to start up properly (the usual problems with Java file locations) as well as the silliness of needing to run a .BAT file to get it running I took matters into my own hands. Right now this only works in Windows 7 64bit. Steps were:

a) Rewriting the SmartRun.bat file to point to the correct Java directory location.

b) Using a really cool piece of freeware named BATtoEXE to convert the BAT file into an executable.

Now I have a nice RealmSpeak file sitting on the taskbar that starts RealmSpeak properly when clicked. I haven't posted it here as I don't know BGG policy on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Rustin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could probably just post the contents of your new BAT file into here. I'd suspect that most people aren't bothered by the BAT vs EXE

For what it's worth, it's an irritant for just about everything I've seen that's written in Java - you need a BAT file or a shell script to start Java up with the right parameters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Catanzaro
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry but I'm very bothered with BAT...

I simply cannot try RealmSpeak because it does not work.
I have windows 7, home premium, 64 bit.
I have the Java installed and updated.

I would need assistance to solve the problem. As I'm not an expert so probably I would a step by step guide.

The error message when I hit the run.bat file says:
impossible to find the file mx384m

any help is not only appreciated... more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm ... I'm not sure what the issue is.

I've been running RealmSpeak and HOSTING RealmSpeak on my 64-bit Win7 Ultimate sytem.

Maybe it's because I have my Realmspeak folder outside of the Program Files area and I just open that folder and hit the run.bat.

Works just fine and I even just downloaded the latest version to make sure it wasn't something with that and still good.

Maybe your shortcuts aren't also "run in" the same folder with the RealmSpeak files?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a good point. Don't put RealmSpeak in Programs - you're better off with it in the documents library in a folder named Realmspeak. Make sure all the .jar files reside at the same level in that folder as the images folder.

I will try to post both the rewritten bat file and the EXE later today. I assume one can do the same to the other Realmspeak bats so that all of the functionality starts up normally and does not need scripts (Java...YUCK!!!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Catanzaro
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used the download folder. I tried to follow the instructions given in the MS webiste.
The error message this time is: impossible to find the "javaw" file.
I have included the screenshot after I set up the download.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like your CLASSPATH is missing:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Catanzaro
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well,
any solution?
thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add it?

Look and see if it's there on your system following my guide. If it isn't, check and see if your java path exists as shown and if so, add it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I am posting the bat and EXE files in the files section. You have to have Windows 7 64bit and JRE needs to be version 7 for it to work. Hopefuly once they are approved people can look and improve them further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Catanzaro
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mmesich wrote:
Add it? :)

Look and see if it's there on your system following my guide. If it isn't, check and see if your java path exists as shown and if so, add it!

I have checked and no CLASSPATH thing exists as per picture attached.
Sadly I have no idea how add it. I need more instructions.
Thank you for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ecz67 wrote:
mmesich wrote:
Add it?

Thank you for the help.

First, look at my path c:\program files (x86)\java....

Second, look in your file system and see if you have a java folder like mine in the same location or maybe a location without the (x86).

Third, click Nuova.. and create the new variable CLASSPATH with the path to the QTJava.zip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI the files are still in moderator queue awaiting approval. No idea why it is taking so long - they are not appropriating anyone's work or such they are simply an aid to start Realmspeak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Joel Tamburo wrote:
FYI the files are still in moderator queue awaiting approval. No idea why it is taking so long - they are not appropriating anyone's work or such they are simply an aid to start Realmspeak.

At the moment there are *eight pages* of submitted files awaiting approval:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/files/boardgame/all?filestate=p...

That's a bit more than I usually see, but it's not unusual. And the moderation process is not just checking to see if the files are legal... I believe they are also scanned for viruses, etc.

Depending upon where your files are in the queue, and how much time the admins have to work on them, it could easily be a week or so before they are cleared.

(Your files are currently on page 4, so there are four pages of files still ahead of you... and three pages of newer files submitted after your submission.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Catanzaro
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mmesich wrote:
ecz67 wrote:
mmesich wrote:
Add it?

Thank you for the help.

First, look at my path c:\program files (x86)\java....

Second, look in your file system and see if you have a java folder like mine in the same location or maybe a location without the (x86).

Third, click Nuova.. and create the new variable CLASSPATH with the path to the QTJava.zip

first and second step ok. But I'm not able to create the new variable CLASSPATH as you suggest. I do not see in your example the complete path (please show me the complete value) and, it seems, I have no "QTjava.zip". What is this?

In other words I do not know how make/create the path to the new variable CLASSPATH.

Possible I'm the only with Windows 7 having this problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you should uninstall your Java and reinstall it from scratch?

You can see the first part of the path in the one window and the remainder of it in the littler one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Completely uninstall Java then go get it and install it again from scratch. Trying to fix the botched Java install is too ticky tack. Once you have the Java reinstalled and your PC rebooted then you can rewrite the BAT files to go to the correct place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Catanzaro
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joelist wrote:
After frustrating experiences with getting RealmSpeak to start up properly (the usual problems with Java file locations) as well as the silliness of needing to run a .BAT file to get it running I took matters into my own hands. Right now this only works in Windows 7 64bit. Steps were:

a) Rewriting the SmartRun.bat file to point to the correct Java directory location.

b) Using a really cool piece of freeware named BATtoEXE to convert the BAT file into an executable.

Now I have a nice RealmSpeak file sitting on the taskbar that starts RealmSpeak properly when clicked. I haven't posted it here as I don't know BGG policy on that.

thank you, now finally RS works on my machine!

no more escuses to finally learn something about this game. whistle

and thank you also to Michael btw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes. Files were approved so they now should be up in BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.