Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maxim Simonov
Russia
Saint-Petersburg
flag msg tools
mbmb
First, sorry for bad English. :-)

Munera is a game of lanista's struggle, released in 2010 by Italian designers.
Strong historical feeling, not top notch components.

Both game, Spartacus and Munera seems similar on first look.
Horever Spartacus on first look has a more bright and glossy design, more-movie-less-history accuracy, miniature combat and, seems, made for a wider audience.

There is somebody who has played both games and can compare this two games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
mbmbmbmbmb
a very interesting and intriguing question and i m waiting for an answer too! I own Munera but i havent played it yet. I ll propably buy Spartacus also because i am fan of the series. I have only read the rules of munera and i think that its a great game, i only have to test on the table as soon as i ii find 2 more lanistas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I completely forgot I have a copy of Munera!
I haven't played it, but this thread has pushed it up on my list.
If only Zombicide wasn't so addictive...
Anyway, I expect Munera to be both more historically correct and probably also have deeper gameplay.
I got turned off by the ridiculous way promo cards are handled for Spartacus, so I am unlikely to get that one. Even if it does have some nice eye-candy...
But your question is interesting and I hope someone will give a proper answer soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxim Simonov
Russia
Saint-Petersburg
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, there is whole party of Munera's owners, who never play.

What is wrong with promo-card, by the way? Promo is promo - don't balanced, hard to get, ah... forget the promos, enjoy the game. cool

...So, three people wait for answers. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul D
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Another game that looks similar in topic and style: Gladiatori (coming out this year at Essen)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zab Lab
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Munera:FG (and Munera:AD) is more close to the real history of gladiatura (for example during the Arena no one gladiator can kill one other, only put him in defeat and ask the crowd to kill or free him), Spartacus is close to the HBO version one (decapitation, etc... accours in the Arean too often and the crowd has not a great influence)
This is not a quality judgment. They are different, it depends what are you searching for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question.

I bought Munera because Spartacus the game did not exist yet.

I have a feeling both the games will be very similar at the end of the day.

I will post something as soon as my copy of Spartacus arives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
prd1982 wrote:
Another game that looks similar in topic and style: Gladiatori (coming out this year at Essen)

Gladiatori is concentrating on the actual fighting in the arena, much like Hoplomachus: The Lost Cities. In Spartacus they have apparently thinned that part down, with tactical movement etc. not really being a part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxim Simonov
Russia
Saint-Petersburg
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, Gladiatori actually a fighting game, not simulator of lanista. So, these games are in different categories.

Main question - how good Spartacus as full lanista's simulator?

I'm always dreamed about great economic/fighting gladiator game...

Economic aspect, trainig of gladiators, equipment, fighting, rise his skills, - is there a feeling that you're the headmaster of gladiators in less or more hardcore way?

(I know, this game is based on TV show and don't pretend on history accuracy, so history aspect is "movie" style... I ready accept it.)

Or Spartacus just a "pick gladiator + some fighting + mini card game of intrigue"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne Kärki
Finland
Varkaus
Pohjois Savo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having at least tried all of the games mentioned here, I'd say Spartacus is the best boardgame for me, but I really like them all. (Keep in mind Gladiatori was only test version at that point.)

"Main points" of these games, IMO:

Spartacus concentrates in backstabbing, lying, joint planning against someone, and has decent but light arena combat system that is quite fun to play. Main point is not on arena combat however, much stronger point is all that sinister plotting, calculating and balancing of relationships. Main goal is to run the most famous ludus.

Munera has same goal as Spartacus, and has quite a few of the same elements in it. This game does not go nearly that far in backstabbing business though. Still a good game, just more "fair and straight" in a sense. Enjoyed this quite a bit, but would choose Spartacus over this. Arena combat is quite abstracted. Though this works much better than Spartacus, if your group doesn't like to be "evil" to win games, or you'd like your games free of (im?)mature content. Most historically accurate too. Not that the other two games are wildly ahistorical either.

Gladiatori, while good and fun, is of completely different style. It concentrates on arena combat, without including ludus running business like the other two games do. It easily beats the other two games in arena combat, but that is to be expected, as is the only thing this game tries to do. And so far seems to do it very well. (Better than any other dueling game I've tried actually.)

To conclusion:
If you want to have it all and screw your friends while having it, buy Spartacus:B&T. If you'd like to get less player conflict oriented way of having it all, then go for Munera. If you'd only want to beat people on the sands of arena and not bother with the rest, then get Gladiatori.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
mbmbmbmbmb
An excellent opinion if you ask me, thanks Janne!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.