Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hi,

I will be playing a board game tomorrow night with my father and brother in law. They've never played board games before.

3 players (all men)

I have the following games in mind:

Qwirkle - it's a solid game but i want them to be more impressed i.e. with something ambitious
Blokus - same as Qwirkle
Flash Point: Fire Rescue - Family or go for the normal version?
Carcassonne - a bit worried about the farmer

4 players (3 men and 1 woman if my sister joins us)

Catan - i think it's a solid intro to boardgames for both men and women regardless of age. My only worry is playing with couples...it does not work.
Survive: Escape from Atlantis! - My current favourite for this session. I can't find a fault with it for this session apart from the "viciousness" level which will not be a problem.
Long Shot - A bit worried about downtime
For Sale - It's a filler which i doubt we will have time to play unless we play 2 or 3 fillers only
High Society - It's a filler which i doubt we will have time to play unless we play 2 or 3 fillers only
For Sale - Also a good option i think.

So can you recommend any of these, and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I looked through your list of owned games.

Of course, this all depends on how good of a teacher you are. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to play the family version of Agricola, for example. And Galaxy Trucker is just fun as hell, for newbs and experienced folks, but it depends on the group (of course). Don't assume just because they're new, they can't understand a game that doesn't fall under the stereotypical "Gateway" banner

It also depends on how your family is (eg do dad and bro like interaction and cutthroat maneuvers or not? What about sister? If they all do, why not Cyclades? If they don't or if it's a mix, why not the criminally undermentioned Hansa Teutonica [especially with 4]?)

Secondly, how often do you expect to play with them? I can barely tolerate Carcassonne, even with the two expansions (I&C and T&B). Carc base game is dull. If you expect to play with them quite a bit, then base Carc can be taught and then add in the expansions later. If this is a rare occasion, I wouldn't bother with that game.

Finally, do you like these games? I'm at a point in my life where I can't bear to play certain games when there are other games that are soooo much better. And I don't mean Through the Ages vs Qwirkle, but games that there is no reason for intelligent newbs to be overwhelmed by, like Hansa Teutonica, yet are continually glossed over in these types of threads because they don't fall under the "gateway" umbrella.

Others from your list I'd consider: Acquire, Chinatown, El Grande, Power Grid (if they get turned on by economics)

From the games you mentioned:

Flash Point is great, but only with the right group. Go for normal difficulty, you're the Gamemaster so you do the fiddliness. Try to explain it, though.

Survive! I've never played but hear good things. If your group is more cutthroat, though, why not Cyclades for a meatier experience?

Unfortunately, haven't played many of the others though I hear good things about them as fillers.

I have played Catan and think it's a good game, but I don't find it interesting anymore. The paths to victory are too simple. I think the Traders and Barbarians scenario (from the expansion of the same name) adds a pickup and deliver mechanic that makes the game exponentially more interesting. If you like Catan, it's not a bad choice. I've had great sessions of that game, even just the base game. I actually prefer it as a 3 player game than 4

In summary: Don't roll your eyes and play a game just because it's listed as an introductory game. Play a game you'd like to play that does not have complex rules or maybe is a bit complex but is so much fun, the fiddliness can be overlooked (like Galaxy Trucker).

I hope the session rocks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hi and thank you for the reply!

- Agricola - i think even the family version will be too much for them in terms of rules explanation. I want a game that can get played as soon as possible once we sit down but still be interesting. Agricola only fulfills the 2nd criterion for me.

- Galaxy Trucker - It has a similar issue in terms of the rules as Agricola imo.

- Cyclades - That would have been a great choice if we were all men i think but my sister will be playing. A 3 player game (only men) of Cyclades does not appeal to me.

- Carcassone & Catan - I agree with you. I can barely tolerate either of those two now as well. So i am not looking forwards to playing them.

- El Grande - Although the rules part is excellent (i.e. short and clear rules) i fear they will find it too dry.

At the moment i've settled down to two options.

If we are 3 players we will play Flash Point and if we are 4 Survive. Both games look good and they are not complicated games. Flash Point's advance fire phase i will explain as we go along.

What you said about "how often do you expect to play with them" really made me think. I want to play them on a regular basis but do i want to play Catan and Carcassonne? No. I'd like to play a few games of Survive, Flash Point and then at some point also try games like Agricola, Cyclades El Grande and Kingsburg.

That's probably one thing i did wrong with other people. I took to long to get them to try other games apart from Catan and Ticket to Ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd try Alien Frontiers for the reasons I posted
here http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/859512/dads-first-game-night

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
In the end we played Survive: Escape from Atlantis! which proved to be a big hit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zolos wrote:
In the end we played Survive: Escape from Atlantis! which proved to be a big hit!

Always is with anyone I play with as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jjfalzone wrote:
Zolos wrote:

Always is with anyone I play with as well

I completely agree. It has never failed me either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne not with more than 3. Settlers and for Sale would be my favourites from your list.
Quwirkle adn Blokus seems too dry for a start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.