Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two questions:
The Runner Infiltrate card gives you the chance to expose a card belonging to the Corporation. Once this card has been viewed, does it go back down on the table face up or face down? If it goes back down face up, how is it differentiated from a rezzed card? If it goes back down face down, is the Runner allowed to peek back at it if they can't remember what is on the card?

I'm a bit confused on how programs are used on runs. If I initiate a run, can I only use one program on that run? Or can I run programs sequentially, destroy routines sequentially, and then only take the side effects of the remaining routines? Or is it one programme, one run?
e.g. I ended up with programs running. Assuming that strength and type requirements are met, if the ice I encounter has four subroutines, of which one is end run, if I defeat the end run routine first, can I then send in my second program to defeat another subroutine, and then just take the damage from the other two?

CK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exposed cards go back face down. You have to remember what the card is.

You can try to use any program you have available during the run as long as it's legal. (Magnum Opus wouldn't be legal because it requires using a click.)

You break subroutines in any order on a given piece of ice. Effects of each remaining subroutine are applied sequentially after all breaking is done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Poitier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you can use an icebreaker's ability more than once per run and per ice, if it doesn't take a click to activate.

I.E. If the Corp has a Code Gate ice, with 2 subroutines and strength 2, and you have a Yog.0 program in your rig, than you can use its "0 credit : break a code gate subroutine" ability twice to prevent both subroutines from activating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasyndrome wrote:
Also, you can use an icebreaker's ability more than once per run and per ice, if it doesn't take a click to activate.

I.E. If the Corp has a Code Gate ice, with 2 subroutines and strength 2, and you have a Yog.0 program in your rig, than you can use its "0 credit : break a code gate subroutine" ability twice to prevent both subroutines from activating.

Ohhhh. My god I'm dumb. I thought you could only use one program, and only use the program once. No wonder I was finding it so hard to be a Runner (we only played half a new game last night).

This will make it go a lot quicker ;P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Geruntho
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasyndrome wrote:

The program you are using to bypass an Ice has to have strength equal to or greater than the ice in question though correct? I also assume you can only use one program per ice you are attempting to break?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to use an icebreaker on a piece of ICE, it must have equal or greater strength.

You can use multiple programs per piece of ice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreatBucketGod wrote:

Clarification: Each program's individual strength must match/exceed that of the ice. The strengths do not combine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kayvon wrote:
GreatBucketGod wrote:

Clarification: Each program's individual strength must match/exceed that of the ice. The strengths do not combine.

GreatBucketGod wrote:
If you want to use an icebreaker on a piece of ICE, it must have equal or greater strength.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jjg101 wrote:
[q="alphasyndrome"]
The program you are using to bypass an Ice has to have strength equal to or greater than the ice in question though correct? I also assume you can only use one program per ice you are attempting to break?

Be careful here, you've got the right idea, but your choice of wording could trip you up. Bypassing Ice has a special meaning in the game, and currently appears on two cards, Inside Job and Femme Fatale. Note especially that when Femme Fatale uses her ability to bypass Ice she does NOT need to match strength with the Ice.

Normally, you advance through Ice through a combination of breaking subroutines (with your Icebreakers) and letting subroutines fire (when not broken) as long as the subroutine doesn't explicitly end the run the Runner can continue on. For this normal interaction, breaking subroutines, the Icebreaker must have strength equal to or greater that the Ice you are encountering. Most often, you will only use one program per piece of Ice, but there is nothing preventing you from using more than one if you wish. (Wyrm would be an example of this)*

Also, nothing indicated you were playing this wrong, but just to be certain, the duration of the strength boost on Icebreakers if for that single encounter. So, if all you have is Crypsis and you run on a server with two Enigmas, you can spend 3 to match strength and then 2 to break each subroutine, then you have to spend a virus counter from Crypsis to keep him in play and you move on to the second Enigma. Crypsis is back at 0 strength, so you must once again pay 5 credits to break both subroutines. The Shaper's Icebreakers break this norm by keeping their strength boosts for the duration of the run making multiples of the same Ice subtype on a single server less effective.

Hope that helps!

*Wyrm can boost itself up to 4 strength to match a "Chum" say, and then (now that it has strength to interact with it) spend 1 more credit to bring Chum down to 3 strength. At this point, Yog.0 could break the subroutine for a single credit. Note, that for Wyrm to break it by himself would cost 6 more credits, and Yog.0 couldn't even break it without help since Yog.0 lacks a strength boosting ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.