Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all. I owned Battlestations years and years ago. I’ve always been a big fan of theme games with miniatures and miniature wargame/role playing like aspects. When I originally got Battlestations it seemed from the reviews like it was going to be the perfect game for me. Not only that, but I’m a miniature hobbyist, and the prospect of building 3D components and painting miniatures was a big draw.

Well, I did get the rules way back then, and read most of them…and traded the game off. All these years later I’m not 100% sure why anymore. I’m guessing the rules were all just a bit daunting and confusing. As a miniature gamer, board gamer, and role playing gamer it probably seemed like there were better options for all 3 styles of game play at the time.

In any case, I’m older now…and a bit more patient. I’m looking at Battlestations again and wondering if it would be a good fit for me now? I’m looking at most of the reviews, but most of them are old, or bias, written by people who love the game (usually followed by a lot of comments by people who didn’t love the game or found it unplayable). I guess I’d just like to throw this out there as a “sell me again” thread. Tell me why you still love this game, or tell me why it is a waste of money.

I’d love to hear from people who have played the game for years and still love it as well as anyone who just started playing. Success stories and epic failures.

Thanks…push me over one side of the fence here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
is this game soloable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
is this game soloable?

Really really not. It's firstly an RPG. It looks like a board game because it relies heavily on a grid and map, but the scenarios are driven by a DM with hidden information. It's like D&D 4th. Tactical RPG where the fighting is awesome but the role-playing is up to you to go in to or not.

Plays two player great though. Although a lot of co-op games do so that's not a surprise.

I love this game to pieces. The breadth of scenarios if you buy all the books is incredible. And the equipment choices and ship choices get better with each addition too. The only downside is you kinda need to throw the rulebook away (the player's half I mean) and get the awesome fan made ones. Search for "kunhard"'s book. Gathers the actions and parts from across all five rulebooks in to one spot. No flipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure how the reviews are biast since it is someone opinion on the game.

So here is my opinion. I have been a huge fan of this game since I first heard of it. I played a bunch with a group of friends and even ran it as one shot adventures at a game shop for a while before "official joining the red shirts demoing team". Been a few years since I demo'd the game but I have played it a bunch with friends. They released a new edition with updated rules, not a dramatic change but they did clean up some rules. The miniatures are cool but nothing spectacular, I have them and I have seen painted ones. There are 3d modules of the titles but too expensive for me. There are some ship mini's that I have they look pretty freaken cool.

I still love this game. The feeling of having a role that you play on a ship, getting into the role play aspects, and just having the anarchy of running around a ship that is blowing up is so much fun. The game is well designed and the missions are fun. But it is even more fun to make up my own missions that throw at my buddies. Personally I can't get enough of the game and have all but 1 expansion book that was released. Plan to pick up the new one, when it is available from my source. I can't recommend this game enough. But no it is not for everyone, people who don't like RPGS or want simple games like Monopoly, clue, battleship , or other games with little rules, won't enjoy it. People who don't have time to read a 90 page book or don't have someone willing to play the role of the referrer won't enjoy it either. But those you like RPG like games, sci-fi, and don't mind learning a 90 pages of rules (which you don't have memorize) then they will probably love the game.

I have now played the game with at least 20-30 different people and so far everyone who has played loved it. Keep in mind a big part of the enjoyment is the people you play with. If the referrer (GM) really loves the game and makes the adventure fun, while the players are really into it. Then you will have a blast playing it but if the gm doesn't like it or the players are bored and don't care, then no you won't. So I say buy it, read it up, pick the right group and go for it. No way to tell since I don't know you if you would like it or not, but I personally love it!

If you go to Conventions at all, sign up for a session and see what you think. I am running a game with buddy at DundraCon and Possibly KublaCon. But any convetion you go to, check the games and see if someone is running it.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Holley
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
51% DELICIOUS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dorque wrote:
Search for "kunhard"'s book. Gathers the actions and parts from across all five rulebooks in to one spot. No flipping.

Do you know where I can find that book? I see a few player aids by Kunhard, but that's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Strauss
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of those dudes that love the game. Played it a few times with Jeff Siadek at conventions. You can check some of my custom starship miniatures on the pictures section.

I love the mission-based, space theme, functional system. Have 3 player/GM groups and we play it twice a month. The variability of the missions is amazing: ship to ship combat, personal combat, puzzle solving, asteroid field navigation, diplomacy, investigation. Campaign system is good, and the RPG element makes it worth getting back every time.

This is probably the single game that I've spent more $$$ ever, rulebooks, miniatures, paints, custom starship miniatures, custom 3d modules (not available anymore), coloured dice (for each profession), steel coloured dice as bonus to the players that finished a very long campaign, steel board for magnet ship info, huge d6 for phase indication, vinyl hex-mat, magnet system for the starships, several pages of printed ships& enemy crew.

I do not see that I'll stop playing it anytime soon.

Cheers,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI...I did pick up the game again and I do think it's going to be a very good fit for me at this stage in my life. So much so that I already picked up almost all the supplements (including picking up a hard copy of the oop galactic civil war in a trade).

I also ordered all the minis and spaceship minis right away...to me that's going to be half the fun. I wouldn't have minded getting the 3d modules...but it'll probably be more fun to figure out a way to craft my own anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim C.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be a good game. Sometimes it just all comes together really well. Other times it falls very flat. Having all the supplements helps as does some of the fan sites and yahoo group.

The important thing is to play good scenarios and avoid downtime and poor pacing. Bad things need to be happening all the time in order for your players to always have real choice to make. ( pump the engines?, put out the fire?, fix the module?, fight off the boarders?, launch the missles?, teleport over and help the marines?, vent the atmosphere?, let the wookie win?)

If for example your engineer only has the choice of pumping engines and no other option can compete for his attention, then he is going to get bored real quick. Also if the pilot is having a blast flying through an asteroid field while everyone else is twiddling their thumbs watching him play the game, that is bad too. Try to keep everyone engaged as much as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.