Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have heard some concern that the game can be too long. I don't have it yet nor have I played it, but I did read the rules. It would appear that by modifying the end game conditions, that is ending the game at a higher level of city markers you can end the game quicker. Would this have much effect on the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith blume
United States
chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
As long as the emtpy city number is determined at the beginning of the game it would not be a problem. What it would change is the bigger strategies (building a transcontinental or western link). Maybe pull out some mission cards (NY to KC plus Western link) and possibly Cyrus Holliday and George Pullman (Western link and level 6 engine) tycoon cards for example. So I think for a faster game you would need to adjust your strategy somewhat, but I do not think it would change gameplay that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply! I don't know if time would be a problem, but just in case, I wanted to be able to shorten it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing the game, I tend to crave for a longer game. Tastes differ. Fortunately the endgame criterion can be easily adjusted - as can the operation cards etc involved in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Blume
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You are correct sir. I think both mechanisms can easily be adapted to fit a wide range of player interests. For example separating the major line cards and having one of those come out for each of the first three rounds and then no more come out. This would minimize some of the randomness of the cards that was mentioend in some of the ratings from BGG.con (Anye's and Kevin's). I was in that game and I agree that it was a little frustrating that we were in a pretty tight game and as luck would have it, some major lines came out at the end of the game that really benefitted a particular player. I think once people know what major line cards are out there it is a little easier to play defensively and make it harder for someone to set up the major lines without competition (I seem to recall that Anye made that point as well, with which I certainly agree). For example if you see someone headed from New York to Chicago, you may make a move to use (read block) some of Chicago's Eastern routes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.