United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone, I'm currently working on finishing the town card art for City of Iron. I need your help! This is your chance to perhaps contribute to the game in a small way.

Town cards represent neutral locations in the world that players can conquer with military might. I want your ideas on what these should look like. Please choose one of the town names below and describe how you think it would look (post a response in this thread). I can't guarantee I will use any ideas posted here, but more thumbs will certainly help me decide.

Here are some examples of the "look" of the world:

Thank you!

Town Names
Beastbelly
Sneeple
Tribnub
Borobog
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Friedberg
United States
claypool
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Borobog -> swampy and early industrial with wooden walkways / cabins / water wheels. Almost like a fishing village that polluted it's own water supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Leonard
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beastbelly

From the distance you can see the black smoke of industry billow up from the enormous factories. The red brick and black iron factories are so large they all but choke out the residential areas and little to no greenery can be seen.

At the edge of the town, the steam driven tanks stand ready to defend against invaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Beastbelly = a town over the edge of a cliff, encircled by the ribcage of some ancient, massive beast. Platform elevators from level to level, bone and brass archways and walkways, with the whole town hanging haphazardly down the cliff face.

Sneeple = flat landscape, patchwork farmlands in a myriad of colours, with a glittering, beautiful city at its centre.

Tribnub = A tree city, airships and balloons docking at platforms high in the canopy. Possibly above cloud level.

Borobog = a city traversing a dark sea perched precariously on the back of a giant mechanical fish contraption...

Great names - good luck finding the perfect fits!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mechanicalfish wrote:

Town Names
Beastbelly
Sneeple
Tribnub
Borobog

Can you provide the stats/characteristics of these towns? What they produce might influence how they look..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Martin
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
beastlybelly-i think beastlybelly should have a mountain looking like a creature of some sort and inside the mouth in side the beast mouth is where they find there resources and maybe 2 different kinds of resources can be found.
cool names for a town.good luck with them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just some random thoughts.

Beastbelly - A city built underground, inside a cave. With torches hung on the wall for lighting, and stalagmites hanging from the ceiling.

If you've seen South Park, the "Crab People" live underground in this kind of town - I couldn't find an image on google.

Tribnub - A city built in the treetops, with wooden/rope bridges and vines everywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Land
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hows about plays off of real life places.

Shongshan is the name of the mountain where the Shaolin Temple is located. How about a card called Shongshang with a picture of a mountain and a couple Buddhist inspired buildings spread across them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Saluga
United States
Ramsey
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny seeing how everyone interprets the names differently. I actually felt Tribnub fit the farmland image better. I was imagining a shire-like landscape with small, round hovels. Sneeple, to me, sounds sleek and pristine. Borobog and Beastbelly sound the most direct. Swampy, marshland for Borobog and Beastbelly literally looking like it's been made from the belly of some ginormous beast, like some people have said. It could also go less literal and be a slum-like port with taverns and scum. A place where all manner of "pirates" dwell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
mbmbmbmbmb
Beastbelly
A town that integrates technology with large animals that are part of its workings. Huge beasts of burden are fitted with steam-powered machinery for digging / earthmoving, for transportation, and for war. Large armored beasts are the defining characteristic of this town, with tall walls, and lots of stonework. Almost a mix between "troll" (in its large size) and "dwarven" (for its stone and ironwork).

Metal: Iron

Colors: Red, earthy brown, gray

Sneeple
High magic, with lofty spires. Built on a rolling mountainside or overhanging a cliff, this city values magic and knowledge. Any steampunk workings in here have a focus on aesthetic elegance. Drawbridges with ornate gearing, and glowing watchtower orbs positioned not just for function, but also for pleasing form.

Metal: Silver, aluminum, perhaps minor gold accents

Colors: Whites, blues, ochre stone

Tribnub

An economic tinker-town, with scores of "gadgetry" -- almost goblin-esque. Small clockwork machinery abounds in a large bazaar that is clearly a center of trade of not just technology, but also a marketplace of new ideas. Gadgetry is generally small and modular in this town (in contrast to Beastbelly, where "large" defines its mechanisms) -- a warrior might have a clockwork-powered crossbow mounted on his wrist, with a clockwork set of flapping wings on his back, with a set of magical goggles on his head. All separate, delicate, and ingenious.

Metal: Bronze, copper

Colors: Copper hues, Brown, with a rainbow of colorful accents ala Chinatown

Borobog

A bastion that has risen up out of the marsh and established itself as the path from the old swamp to new progress. Many elements of the old bog remain (in a London sort of way -- with the old-town and new town), but this is a town that is on the way up -- a beacon of civilization amongst the wilds. Order and discipline is valued here, with a strong militia (perhaps riding on medium ostritch-sized beasts). A more balanced civilization than the others, with an emphasis on the simple and pragmatic.

Metal: More leather use than metal, but discreetly uses nondescript steel whenever needed.

Colors: Greens, some browns / yellows, with baked-earth architecture
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that Beastbelly is built into the crater of an active volcano. They probably mine magma or some such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Soucie
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beastbelly - I'm torn between two options. The first one is a cavernous city, with railways and carts, mining out coal and lighted by torches and fires in town squares. The cavern entrance would be dominated by a huge dragon skull carving that would make the travelers go through its mouth to enter the city. The other is a mountain bottom with lava rivers, using the heat of the lava to feed foundries. The main entrance to the city would have a rock arch with a legendary beast skull hung at its top. Both those options would have grey-brown rock buildings, not much higher than 3 floors. It is renowned for being a difficult place to live, but also as one of the best cities in the world for an apprentice to learn his craft, if you can tolerate either the absence of the sun of the ever-lasting heat (or both!). Maybe you could make a cross of those options if you want.

Sneeple - Sunny little dream town living of agriculture. They have mostly tomatoes, corn and... turnips! The town has white or light beige buildings with hay roofs, houses with big yards and the famous white picket fence, a round city center with a fountain and a city hall with a bell tower. Many people here have magical talents and the little river running across town is rumoured to emerge from a magical underground source. Sneeple is renowned for being family friendly and its vegetable garden labyrinth.

Tribnub - City high in the tree canopy, with round buildings build around the trunk and even going inside it. The edges of the buildings have platforms with yodels going to other platforms on other trees, flying machines built from wood and leaves and wood and vine elevators. Tribnub is renowned around the world for its very pleasant life with its mostly sunny days and weekly festivals (from the 'How Nuts Are You?' festival on the many nuts of the world to the 'Shake That Leaf' dance festival). Its high end education system is also world famous, being the second most popular reason people come to the city after tourism.

Borobog - Marsh city where people move on gondolas. Wooden buildings are all built on platforms to raise them off the murky water. A few high trees create a difficult to penetrate roof and permanent ground level fog creates a smoky carpet. The town used to be a marvel but its state is now a quite run down after the exhaustion of its coal mines and/or loss of its metallurgic work force to Beastbelly. The current economy runs on a small salt mine on the city edges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Borobog sounds like a good place to harvest tentacles. It's a fishing village with floating ramps between buildings out in the middle of nowhere off shore, like Venice, but more ramshackle. And with starfish like creatures that don't mind a tentacle or two being harvested from time to time --they just regrow them.

Sneeple is such a poor and remote wooden hamlet, conquering it is a pyrrhic victory, since it costs more to conquer than it provides. It pays one turnip and srika each turn. Why would you steal this from someone? Because you're the kind of person that thinks conquering everything in sight always is profitable? Sneeple proves you wrong on that count.

Tribnub is filled with Ewoks singing their victory song^h^h^h^h is a lot of trees in twilight where glow moss can be harvested from their bark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Sager
United States
Sebastopol
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tribnub is a small village nestled in a wooded valley. There are few large buildings and mostly little cottages. A river runs across the edge of town where there is a waterwheel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda D
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Beastbelly
I see red, and this sounds so odd, but something like an elephant graveyard. Perhaps some large creatures died/became extinct there and the undesirables moved in. These people don't have a lot of money and the poor are mixed in with the criminals.

Sneeple
For some reason Sneeple sounds like steeple in my head, so I see this is a shiny place, lots of white. I think the uptight citizens live here, everything is ship shape. They are wealthy. Perhaps white marble walls. In this town it's more important to look the part than actually play it.

Tribnub
I see this as a city in the forest, lots of greenery and hanging vines. Perhaps they live in tree houses and their city is protected by fierce forest creatures. These people are connected to nature. Perhaps they worship the trees, so their tree homes are actually made out of woven vines. This way they don't have to cut/harm the trees by using wood.

Borobog
I'm getting swamp from the name and lots of black/grey. I think the clouds would be very overast, maybe the sun never shines in borobog. I feel like the townspeople would be something like coal workers, they are always covered in coal dust or maybe soot from cinders. Perhaps they are all blacksmiths? I would see these creatures as hogmen, in some kind of jumpsuit. I wouldn't say they are wealthy, but they are paid well for their work. They are skilled craftsmen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda D
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
rudder wrote:
beastlybelly-i think beastlybelly should have a mountain looking like a creature of some sort and inside the mouth in side the beast mouth is where they find there resources and maybe 2 different kinds of resources can be found.
cool names for a town.good luck with them

I love this idea and wanted to riff on it, I hope that's alright.
Putting both this together with the other suggestions of a mountain/volcano as well I was thinking:

Maybe on the outside the mountain/volcano is shaped like a dragon. So the town would be inside the belly of the dragon, inside the beast's belly. Perhaps you don't realize it's a town if you don't know already, and you just think it's a mountain. I'd say it is very hard to conquer. Also, if it is a volcano I could see the dragon's nostrils putting out smoke. From the outside people would think that it was an active volcano so they would stay away, but on the inside it is just the townspeople of Beastbelly working away at their factories. The smoke is being produced by them, but from the outside it looks like it's coming out of the mountain.

Perhaps there is a myth/legend that it was a real dragon that fell asleep, another reason to stay away. Or maybe the dragon was turned to stone by some mage and one day the spell will be broken. Perhaps players can combine some resources to wake the dragon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, these are all really awesome and very inspiring. I'm excited to get started on painting the towns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out my first attempt: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1430703/city-of-iron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's town number 2: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1432344/city-of-iron?size....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
To me Sneeple sounds sneaky, like somewhere to conduct illicit deals out of sight... not that it can't be the white shining steeple town others have talked about, but perhaps that white vision of loveliness is just the face they show?

Tribnub says either tribal or full of trinkets to me... a travelling tinker town? A huge caravan of goblin wagons, some of them big enough to be houses on the move, several using steam-punk methods of locomotion but everywhere it's patchwork, signs of break-down and quick repair...

I like the designs you have for Snyle and Beastbelly, those both work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Townsend
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sneeple to me definitely sounds like a sort of mixed-ideology place. What I mean by that is in the background you see tall, white, arcane, towers glittering with banners, while in the foreground is a dank, brown, impovershed slum, with thieves and peasants lining the streets.

Tribnub to me is a ramshackle trading caravan town, with piles of scrap and fuel and brass and other steampunk items inside rolling steam-powered wagons. The town itself are like Transformer-esque houses, which pop open and out to accomodate the day's customers and traders coming into the town. Terrain would be a muddy grassland with almost interstate-quality roads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.