Mage Wars Arena» Forums » General

Subject: How accessible will this game be to my friends? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tiduz 99
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am eager as ever for this game but today after reading some forum posts for it, I thought to myself how accessible will this game be to my friends?

My initial plan is to build the recommended decks and produce proxies for the missing cards or substitute in spare cards. I probably wont alter the spell books until I am confident I have the rules down.

My worry is that my friends will feel at a disadvantage when I do begin making changes to my spell book. Will they feel that I have tailored a superior spell book and that they are playing with a mediocre one? Looking at this game it will favour the more experienced player as there isn’t really much of a luck factor. My feeling is that this will compound the issue for them further if it plays out that I win the majority of games.

Anyone else felt this maybe a problem and if so have you thought of any ideas to alleviate it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Stadler
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think building decks only works if everyone is building a deck for himself. If this is not possible or you don't want to, stick with the pre built spellbooks.

Hopefully later they will release several extra pre-built spellbooks.

Actually this is exactly the same as with Fantasy Flight Games's living card games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My goal is to build as many spellbooks as I'm able to without them feeling watered down. Initially I'm only planning to buy one core and one spell library (the extra utility cards). Only two of us in my gaming group will be buying into the game, so it's likely at a given session that I'll be facing an opponent using a spellbook that I've provided.

So I will let him pick which one he wants. That should remove any concerns about deck stacking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think people are saying that you would have a advantage by exact knowledge of their spell books since you created them both. That being said if you using the premades than that would be moot as those lists are a known quantity as well.

You don't have to share your spell books pre-match do you
? Under some sort of official match system I imagine there would be a Judge that would review the list for validity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tiduz 99
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I guess initially at least I would have no problem creating the 4 spell books and just rotating them each game session.
It will give everyone a feel for how each Mage plays and also alleviate most of the problems I mentioned.

I do want that surprise factor though! I am thinking that maybe it would be possible to construct 70% of each mage spell book and allow the players to then complete them.

With four spell books I would imagine the remaining card pool will not be so big. I could place the creatures, enchantments etc. each into their own pile and then go round the table allowing each player to pick one or two cards at a time. You could organise the spell book so that the last few pages held the drafted cards and this would reduce setup time.

The above option may detract from the fun a little so I may also try creating each spell book but having a few out of school surprises in each.

Guess I will have to experiment and see what works! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisxny wrote:
I think people are saying that you would have a advantage by exact knowledge of their spell books since you created them both. That being said if you using the premades than that would be moot as those lists are a known quantity as well.

You don't have to share your spell books pre-match do you
? Under some sort of official match system I imagine there would be a Judge that would review the list for validity.

There is nothing in the rulebook about this, but I would expect any official match would need someone to review all books. Outside of that I think the surprise of an unknown spellbook is part of the game's charm.

And to answer the OP, yes, the pre-built books will be at a disadvantage against a well built custom book. But I do think there is a lot of replayability in the base books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tiduz 99
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So my copy of the game arrived yesterday and I played a brief game with my girlfriend.
We played for around an hour and the basics are quite easy to follow but as mentioned by others the number of cards is overwhelming.

I didn't really know what to play on my turn or how to think ahead and plan a strategy for the long game. So each turn I just summoned a creature and then picked something cheap like a piece of equipment or an enchantment to buff one of my creatures.

Over time I am confident I can enjoy playing this game once I have tried a few strategies and experimented with different Mage's. However I am invested as I purchased the game, my friends are not and would happily play something else if they do not take to Mage Wars right away. (probably Magic)

My gut feeling is that I should customise a deck after playing a few more times which has obvious choices. Maybe even go as far as to organise the cards in a way that the spells placed next to each other compliment one another.
It may also be worth taking out some of the cards which have lots of rules to remember. They can then be added back in when the basics are understood.

With all the above said I am curious how your friends have reacted to the game after their first play?

Did they instantly like it or did you apply a method to ease them into it?

(While the teaching game in the rulebook will help with the rules, I don't think it will aid in giving the player some direction as what to play each turn.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had great responses from both people I played it with so far. However I will say that I think sticking with stock books for awhile is definitely the right idea, in fact one of the people I played with even said he would consider playing again if we didn't modify the books.

After a few plays that will probably change but while learning the game there is enough to deal with when you know exactly what the opponent is holding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tiduz 99
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Did you guide them in choosing spells or did they just pick spells based on appearance or there obvious advantage such as "Bear Strength"?

Did you organise their spell books so that all the creatures, enchantments were together etc. ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is begging for a simple tutorial video (and/or a teaching aid).

The videos provided by the company are too long and a little convoluted (and there are too many of them and they're not all available yet). There needs to be a quick, basic video that can get a player up to speed and playing with a basic understanding in about 10 - 15 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tiduz99 wrote:
Did you guide them in choosing spells or did they just pick spells based on appearance or there obvious advantage such as "Bear Strength"?

Did you organise their spell books so that all the creatures, enchantments were together etc. ?

I assembled the books in advance and sorted by type. I thought this would be easier during the explanation so they could easily find an example.

I explained the basics of the rules and how the game flows and then suggested that for the first round they just ready a creature and a piece of equipment. This way they don't have to attempt to understand 60+ cards at once and it gets the first turn finished without too much trouble. From there they both were able to start making their own decisions, although there were many occasions of "Oh! If I had known I had this spell 3 turns ago..." discoveries, but that's going to happen. Both players are avid gamers and at least one has a lot of MtG experience so that helped also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.