Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Kaufmann
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
To make sure you don't miss any important boardgame events next year, Days of Wonder and BoardGameGeek have created a gaming calendar for you.

The 2006 Days of Wonder/BoardGameGeek.com Gaming Calendar is an 11 x 17 inch wall calendar with illustrations from the Days of Wonder games and it includes important dates in the boardgaming world such as:

- regional, national and international gaming conventions
- birthdays of famous game authors
- important dates in board-gaming history.

You can order a copy of your calendar from the Days of Wonder website for $10, plus a small S&H fee. To see some sample pages or to order, click here:
http://www.daysofwonder.com/index.php?t=calendar&rid=7&S=a60...

Your friends at Days of Wonder and BGG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkKaufmann wrote:
You can order a copy of your calendar from the Days of Wonder website for $10, plus a small S&H fee.

Yeeoutch!

$12.65 shipping and handling seems a bit steep, even for two copies. Even to Australia. I will reluctantly pass.

Although - How fast are you shipping these? I have friends who will be in Oregon for the next week or two. Maybe I could get one shipped to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kaufmann
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Melissa,

Shipping and handling within the US is only about $3.50 via First Class Mail. Obviously international shipping is more pricey.

However, the calendar's are shipping now, so if you order it today, it should take less than a week via mail to get to Oregon.

Mark - Days of Wonder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems a little steep ($10) for a Days of Wonder promotional item. I'd think that it should be about half that, what with the free advertisement and all.

Nonetheless, I wish to order one. However, the only thing available to click is for the multilingual version, yet the image is based on the US version. How do I get the US version? What's the difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the sound of this. Someone is indeed showing initiative. Whoever had the idea deserves a bonus!

My only question would be, is this available from your European website? If so, can we have the link please. And if not, then it should be. You'd get more orders that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Admiral Fisher wrote:
I like the sound of this. Someone is indeed showing initiative. Whoever had the idea deserves a bonus!

My only question would be, is this available from your European website? If so, can we have the link please. And if not, then it should be. You'd get more orders that way.

David,

If you go to the DoW website and click the European Web Store link near the top of the page, then select the Calendar from the products shown on the left side of the page, you should be able to order it via the European Web Store.

I can see both the US and European Web Stores and I'm looking at the site from the US, so one hopes you can see the European store from where you are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I enjoy how this calendar captures the spirit and breadth of BoardGameGeek by showcasing products from ... er.... one company.

Crap.

I'm being a dick again, aren't I?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not at all. While I have great respect for the powers that be at both BGG and DoW, I find this development to be somewhat disturbing. To me, the Geek is a neutral arena where gamers are free to speak their minds about how good or bad or ambivalent they feel about a given game without having to look over their shoulders for the people who make money from the hobby. While it's no secret that BGG and DoW are on friendly terms, this release has the appearance of being, well, too friendly. It is certainly fair for publishers or designers to have paid advertising on the web site, promote their products at the convention, or even jump into a discussion thread to have their say, but when the site and a publisher join forces in a money making venture, ethical questions about a conflict of interest are inevitable.

The calendar seems innocent enough (and indeed it does look pretty cool), but I just can't help feeling that a line has been crossed. In the future, if I feel that DoW has released a terrible game, will I be reluctant, or even worse, think twice about posting my thoughts knowing that it might cost BGG money?

If anyone with knowledge about this arrangement wishes set me straight or allay my fears, PLEASE do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't there some talk a while back about affixing a sort of "BoardGameGeek Approved" to certain games, much as the IGA or SdJ might have? I don't see this as all that much different. I'm pretty sure the benefit goes both ways on this. With half a million copies of Ticket to Ride sold and only about 3000 Geeks listing it as Owned, it's a pretty safe assumption that the majority of DoW customers are unaware of BoardGameGeek.com. Granted, BGG has much more anonymous traffic than that, but this can only increase site awareness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
The calendar is great! I picked up one while at BGG.CON. Had I known the controversary that would be sparked, I would have picked up a few more as it is sure to become a collectors item now!

A promotional item? That's something of a stretch I think... Yes,the monthly pictures are of DOW products, but with one exception, there are no titles involved... Like any calendar, the images selected are there for their visual appeal.

Really, it's just a calendar... It doesn't mean anything else. There is no conspiracy here... Too expensive? Have you seen the prices of calendars (pre Xmas sale prices, that is)? The price is very reasonable and I doublt if DOW/BGG are making much profit off of the thing. It's a great idea and DOW should be commended for following through with it, not castigated for offering a promotional item or accused of trying to somehow corrupt/co-opt BGG. Buy it, or don't buy it, but don't make a mountian out of a molehill.

Really, it's just a calendar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
Seems a little steep ($10) for a Days of Wonder promotional item. I'd think that it should be about half that, what with the free advertisement and all.

Try finding a Lord of the Rings or Star Wars or MLB or NASCAR or Care Bears or Anne Geddes or Playboy or any other "promotional" calendar for $10 or less. You'd think company's would just give this stuff away, with all the free advertising.

Sorry about the threadjack, but people pay truckfulls of money every day to advertise their brand loyalty by buying clothes with conspicuous logos and commercial slogans emblazoned across their chests, they decorate their homes and cars with corporate images, they hang their Christmas trees with Coca-Cola and Disney ornaments, etc.

I'm going to buy one of these calendars to advertise my brand loyalty at work and maybe get people to ask questions about the games they'll see. Hopefully, BGG will get a cut of my $10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Gialmere wrote:
but I just can't help feeling that a line has been crossed. In the future, if I feel that DoW has released a terrible game, will I be reluctant, or even worse, think twice about posting my thoughts knowing that it might cost BGG money?

why? do you feel that by not clicking on the google and banner adds that you are costing the Geek, or do you visit the ad sites all the time? I think it's a cool idea and won't make me think twice about lambasting any bad games from anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Carter
United Kingdom
Stockton-on-Tees
Cleveland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only €5 on the Europe site and free shipping over €34.

Stephen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
I just find it depressing, all these cons and I am going to none of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kaufmann
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
>Nonetheless, I wish to order one. However, the only thing available to >click is for the multilingual version, yet the image is based on the US >version. How do I get the US version? What's the difference?

Randy,

Sorry for the confusion on this. The text didn't get updated from our European store. Orders in the US store will be for the English language calendar and it is now available and shipping with 24 hours of your order.

Thanks

Mark - Days of Wonder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
Sorry about the threadjack, but people pay truckfulls of money every day to advertise their brand loyalty by buying clothes with conspicuous logos and commercial slogans emblazoned across their chests, they decorate their homes and cars with corporate images, they hang their Christmas trees with Coca-Cola and Disney ornaments, etc.

What Brett said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:

Nonetheless, I wish to order one. However, the only thing available to click is for the multilingual version, yet the image is based on the US version. How do I get the US version? What's the difference?

Send them $5 for a 6 month calendar then... you cheapskate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Gialmere wrote:
If anyone with knowledge about this arrangement wishes set me straight or allay my fears, PLEASE do so.

There is no official relationship between the 'Geek and any publisher, and we don't plan on having an official relationship with a publisher. DoW approached us with this idea and offered to put our name on it, so we agreed. More exposure is a good thing, no?

Nothing sinister going on here. Feel free to rate games as you wish...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If this also includes any/all new games you will release in 2006, I'm there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$10 is cheap for a high-quality calendar. I love the gamer-orientated-ness of it too, which is not something you get with a typical calendar.

Plus it helps advertise games in general (and what better way than the lovely production art for DoW games) at work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BilboAtBagEnd wrote:
$10 is cheap for a high-quality calendar. I love the gamer-orientated-ness of it too, which is not something you get with a typical calendar.

Plus it helps advertise games in general (and what better way than the lovely production art for DoW games) at work.

I, too, am looking forward to the curious glances from my co-workers as they spy my new calendar.

They will want to talk about the latest technique they attempted to try to make their lawn as green as possible...but the interesting art on the calendar will grab their attention...and then I'll ruin my shot to convert them by talking about the latest technique I attempted to try to win at Euphrat and Tigris...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
derk wrote:
Gialmere wrote:

There is no official relationship between the 'Geek and any publisher, and we don't plan on having an official relationship with a publisher. DoW approached us with this idea and offered to put our name on it, so we agreed. More exposure is a good thing, no?

Nothing sinister going on here. Feel free to rate games as you wish...

Buy the calendar and then rate all the DoW games at a 1. Then see what happens.

Nothing yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="disclamer"With half a million copies of Ticket to Ride sold and only about 3000 Geeks listing it as Owned, it's a pretty safe assumption that the majority of DoW customers are unaware of BoardGameGeek.com.[/q]

Yes, good way to look at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Carter
United Kingdom
Stockton-on-Tees
Cleveland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my calendar from the European DOW Store.....NO BOARD GAME GEEK LOGO!!!yuk Instead it has the logos for Spielbox, Des Jeux sur un Plateau and www.trictrac.net. I must admit I'm quite dissapointed....The BGG logo must only be on the US version!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kaufmann
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen,

Sorry we didn't make it clear on the order page that the European Calendar had different sponsors. The various events and special dates on each calendar are American and Euro-centric too. We're going to update that page so that people will know about the differences, but since you were expecting one, I'll send you out a replacement US Calendar via mail so you have the BGG sponsored calendar.

Mark
Days of Wonder
mark@daysofwonder.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.