Subject: Just moved to Germany rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sid Kuhn
Germany
APO
AE
flag msg tools
Hey everyone, I've been a casual gamer for many years, and we just moved to Germany a couple of months ago. Apparently, there are a lot of good games to be found in this country?

Anyone want to offer me some advice on what games I need to pick up, and maybe where they can be found? I live near Kaiserslautern, in Southwest Germany.. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Graf
Germany
East of Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
sidkuhn wrote:
Anyone want to offer me some advice on what games I need to pick up, and maybe where they can be found? I live near Kaiserslautern, in Southwest Germany.. Thanks!

Mail order companies usually give you better prices than local stores. http://www.rosanski-online.de/suche/ allows you to compare prices easily; I've found good prices at http://spiele-offensive.de and http://adam-spielt.de/. If you run your own business (or know someone who does), you can also find a selection of popular games at very good prices at your local Metro wholesale store.

As to *which* games you should buy -- that depends far too much on your personal tastes, so I couldn't possibly advise you. Some local libraries have a decent selections of games you can borrow to try them before you buy, though. Also, you might try looking for a gaming café in your area

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MJSchuelke wrote:
Some local libraries have a decent selections of games you can borrow to try them before you buy, though. Also, you might try looking for a gaming café in your area

You truly have moved to the Promised Land, my friend
Viel Spaß

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Heck
Germany
Mannheim
Kurpfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Sid

and welcome to Germany. First let me thank you for moving in one of the most beautifully areas in Germany (ok we have so many of them it is hard to compare them all to each other ). The state of Rheinland-Pflaz is also called "Little Italy" sometimes as we have a lot of sunny days here.

If your capability of speaking/reading german allows you to visit german internet-sites I may recommend www.spielbox.de
Yout can find a lot of information about games,gamers and gaming-groups.
Many people do speak english so you might give it a try asking for stores and gaming-groups in KL.

Have a good time.

Ferendra

PS
Don't forget: This is a wine producing area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Egan
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find www.milan-spiele.de to be a good mail order source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and carry on...
mbmbmbmbmb
BettyEgan wrote:
I find www.milan-spiele.de to be a good mail order source.

Yes, agreed. Also www.spiele-1a.de

Between those two, I find that I get very decent prices. Also tried spiel-unser-spiel.de, but could not get my order delivered in time, however they were very cool about the refund, might try them again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
any of you German type people wanna do me a favor? I put in an order at PlayMe.de a couple weeks ago, and selected the "Pay via PayPal" option. Of course, I can't pay them via PayPal until they tell me how much shipping will cost, and where to send the money. I've emailed them a couple times now, and still haven't heard anything back.

Anyone wanna call them and inquire "for a friend" about the status of order #051028-9960?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Graf
Germany
East of Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
AnakinOU wrote:
any of you German type people wanna do me a favor? I put in an order at PlayMe.de a couple weeks ago, and selected the "Pay via PayPal" option. Of course, I can't pay them via PayPal until they tell me how much shipping will cost, and where to send the money. I've emailed them a couple times now, and still haven't heard anything back.

Anyone wanna call them and inquire "for a friend" about the status of order #051028-9960?

Why not call them yourself? Most Germans speak reasonably good English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ummm...international phone calls are expensive? gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Graf
Germany
East of Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
AnakinOU wrote:

Really? It costs me less than 2 (Euro-)Cents per minute to call the US from Germany; I'd have thought calls in the opposite direction would cost about the same...

Michael
(all hail the deregulation of the telecom markets )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My international rates are $1.81 per minute to Germany, plus "taxes and surcharges" that I know nothing about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Graf
Germany
East of Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
AnakinOU wrote:
My international rates are $1.81 per minute to Germany, plus "taxes and surcharges" that I know nothing about.

Ouch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
old bag
United States
Unspecified
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:

ummmm.....no!!

Use 10-10-???, around 3c/min, around 50c to connect.

There is tons of different ones out there just do a search or see http://1010phonerates.com/w_one_europe.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Carlos de Diego
Spain
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Use www.voipbuster.com
Free calls to German telephones.

Regards from Spain,

JC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.