BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Large family games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Burbine
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a few weeks I'll be going to spend a weekend with my family in a lakehouse. I imagine there will be 7+ people who I'd love to entertain with some great games. Most of the games I own go up to 5 or 6 players, and/or I feel would be a little to complex for them (but I'll certainly break them out anyway!).

They've played simple/old games like Monopoly, Go For It!, Yahtzee, Apples to Apples, Pictionary, Taboo and Pay Day. We also play a Rummy variant quite frequently.

Something like Ticket to Ride would be ideal, but it only supports 5 players (unless an expansion has a bigger map?).

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsuro - up to 8p
Wits & Wagers
Sequence
Pit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7+ is a hard number! I'd recommend a game like Wits & Wagers. It's easy to team up, if necessary, and you can squeeze 8+ out of the game. Another game that works well with a large, non-gamer group is Dixit. You'll need the latest version for the 10+ player board, but you can still do it without this just fine if you are creative.

If your family is really into gaming, then games like The Resistance or Castle of the Devil would work well. These require more emotional investment and/or role playing than most families can handle, but they do handle large player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Sequence
+1 Wits & Wagers Family I'd recommend the family version as it's much less overhead to keep the score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
Helllow Bayyybee
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also recommend Sequence and additionally PitchCar. Both always popular at Christmas get togethers with the family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Me
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Tsuro

It's not so much a gamer's game, but Catch Phrase! is great for 6+ players if you have an even number. It get interesting with family members because you can use a lot of inside jokes to your advantage.

Bonanza was really popular with my family. I took it to the family cottage several years ago, and some family members have since turned into casual gamers. Bonanza can play up to 7 but I would say 5 is the best number to play with.

We had a lot of fun with Survive: Escape from Atlantis!. Nothing like taking out your sibling with a sea serpent. You can get an expansion to get you to six players, but I'm not sure how well it plays. If your family is like mine, not everyone will want to play a game at the same time, so you may be able to use some that handle 4 and 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelia Wright
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bang with the dodge city expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Mann
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:

What potter said. Also, Word on the Street. Can play teams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pullen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red November plays up to 8 players, my kids love the game. Its a Co-Op so everyone wins or loses as the case may be.

Kill Doctor Lucky is another favourite and plays up to 7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So...why do they have these overtext things anyway?
badge
This is what I really look like. Really. Actually, it was clip art borrowed from the internet
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders plays with 7 out of the box plus more with expansions.

Edit: very easy to learn for casual gamers, plays in 30-45 minutes as everyone plays at the same time. This hits all your specs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Eat Poop You Cat would be my number one (and number two, of course):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burbine
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richcharters wrote:
+1 Sequence
+1 Wits & Wagers Family I'd recommend the family version as it's much less overhead to keep the score.

Wits and Wagers sounds awesome! Is the "family" game this party version I found? http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/Board%20Games/Wits+Wagers+Part...

Edit: Oh, actually, I see the family version. Not sure what the party version is, but I'm the youngest that'll be playing, so betting will be fine.

Edit, again: Now I've found this awesome writeup, so I'm all set. Yay BGG! http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/821085/enders-comprehensive-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beardandglasses wrote:
7 Wonders plays with 7 out of the box plus more with expansions.

Edit: very easy to learn for casual gamers, plays in 30-45 minutes as everyone plays at the same time. This hits all your specs.

+1

It's the highest BGG ranked game in the family category after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Tsuro

+1 7 Wonders

Also, you could try Citadels. Plays up to 7 and is quite easy to learn.

Edit: and +1 Wits & Wagers. This is a great lightweight, group game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vrazix wrote:
richcharters wrote:
+1 Sequence

Wits and Wagers sounds awesome! Is the "family" game this party version I found? http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/Board%20Games/Wits+Wagers+Part...

Edit: Oh, actually, I see the family version. Not sure what the party version is, but I'm the youngest that'll be playing, so betting will be fine.

Edit, again: Now I've found this awesome writeup, so I'm all set. Yay BGG! http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/821085/enders-comprehensive-...

The family version has 1 point/2 point meeples, rather than the payout and poker chips of the classic version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Richmond
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
I'd go for Elder Sign as its up to 8 players and is extremely popular (335th game of all time on BGG).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vrazix wrote:
richcharters wrote:
+1 Sequence

Wits & Wagers was the first game, and came with about 700 questions.

Wits & Wagers Family was the second game, and game with less questions, I believe, but all the questions were targeted to a more general audience.

Wits & Wagers Party edition has approximately 200 questions, mostly from the Family Edition. They took their favorite/most fun questions from the Family Edition and used them in the Party Edition.

There was also an expansion for the original game that had an additional 700 questions.

Personally, I like the original game best, because there are more questions in it. It's easy to take a card and pick the most "family friendly" question on it. My family likes the betting aspect, but I can see how a group of 10 would be better of with just a few points on a score track. But there's no reason you can't score that way anyway. Betting is optional.

Either way, it's a great choice for the family. The most fun aspect to me is how people talk about the questions before revealing the answer. You get a lot of fun tabletalk about how grandma knows the answer because she was there when the combustion engine was first introduced, and her answer has to be correct. And then you can get ridiculed when you refuse to bet on grandma, and she turns out to be right. It's a great party game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be aware that some people really hate trivia games, and those people hate Wits and Wagers rather more than they hate other trivia games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Britton Roney
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Masters of Commerce - Evokes a similar atmosphere to Pit but with more strategic depth.

Disclaimer: I designed it.
Disclaimer on the disclaimer: I designed it just for the purpose you describe. All my favorite games play at most 6 and we always have at least 7 so I needed something that a group could enjoy and still satisfy my gamer soul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
Be aware that some people really hate trivia games, and those people hate Wits and Wagers rather more than they hate other trivia games.

I have not found this to be the case with Wits & Wagers at all. I have seen people who hate trivia games play this game and love it. There is no pressure to know the correct answer, you aren't expected to know the correct answer, and most of the questions are such that people know the approximate answer anyway.

I won't tell you you are wrong, because I'm guessing you had a different experience than I did, but I want the OP to know that my experience differed completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burbine
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm not too worried about it.

Went with WW: Party, 7 Wonders, and picked up Ticket to Ride anyway.

Aaaaand since I was CSI(freeshipping)'ing I threw Android: Netrunner in there for myself >:]

Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out formula d! Large board and plays with large number of players. Sorry if it has been recommended before.

Damien

Edit: yikes, i guess i was too late. OP already posted hat be went with. Thanks for the update

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.