Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Perry Clayton
United States
Hanceville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played our first three games tonight. We were just doing the head-to-head skirmish of Luke vs Knight Beast and Obsidian Squad Pilot. We determined faction randomly, and I got the imperials.

I got really luck on the dice roles and pretty blasted her out of the sky in quick order.

Second game we swapped factions and, again the dice really hated her and I picked off her Ties pretty quickly.

For the third game she said she would prefer to switch back to Luke, and in this final skirmish, Night Beast really did poorly. She scored a crit on the Obsidian Pilot that turned ever "turn" movement into a red action. The game kind of drug on for a while as we each kept trying to get a firing solution. She made really good use of her auto-lock computer and eventually took me out, though I had managed to knock out her shields and get one point of hull damage.

Over all we really enjoyed the game, and look forward to playing the missions, perhaps tomorrow night.

For the third game, we set the models aside and simply played with the bases, and, for us at least, found it to be more enjoyable. We didn't feel like we were as likely to damage a model, and measuring and moving was much easier that way.

Anyone else setting the models aside while you play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobleSavage wrote:
For the third game, we set the models aside and simply played with the bases, and, for us at least, found it to be more enjoyable. We didn't feel like we were as likely to damage a model, and measuring and moving was much easier that way.

GOD NO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobleSavage wrote:

I wouldn't do that, ever - but I'm very happy to read that the game is enjoyable to people who aren't as obsessed with miniatures as I am. Speaks for the mechanisms that they work without the flasy bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hamilton
United Kingdom
Livingston
West Lothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done the reverse - I threw away the bases and just used the models after carefully fitting a miniature anti-grav unit under each one. Although for stability, it's best to lock the X-Wing aerofoils in the attack position!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Foulk
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
janglybits wrote:
I've done the reverse - I threw away the bases and just used the models after carefully fitting a miniature anti-grav unit under each one. Although for stability, it's best to lock the X-Wing aerofoils in the attack position!

I really like this option and have considered it although I couldn't resolve firing arcs accurately, also in big battles the lack of ID numbers would mean some re-painting of the ships which I was trying to avoid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Brimer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sitting here imagining myself trying to play Heroclix years ago without the hero figures attached to the bases...nope. Wouldn't have done that then and won't do it now with ships. But I'm cool if it makes the game easier to play for you. I'll take the fiddly-ness if it adds to the visual stimulation of the game and my inner Star Wars geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobleSavage wrote:
My wife and I played our first three games tonight. We were just doing the head-to-head skirmish of Luke vs Knight Beast and Obsidian Squad Pilot. We determined faction randomly, and I got the imperials.

I got really luck on the dice roles and pretty blasted her out of the sky in quick order.

Second game we swapped factions and, again the dice really hated her and I picked off her Ties pretty quickly.

For the third game she said she would prefer to switch back to Luke, and in this final skirmish, Night Beast really did poorly. She scored a crit on the Obsidian Pilot that turned ever "turn" movement into a red action. The game kind of drug on for a while as we each kept trying to get a firing solution. She made really good use of her auto-lock computer and eventually took me out, though I had managed to knock out her shields and get one point of hull damage.

Over all we really enjoyed the game, and look forward to playing the missions, perhaps tomorrow night.

Glad you enjoyed it, but that would largely defeat the purpose for me. This game looks so god**** epic with these ships on a nice mat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobleSavage wrote:

*blink*

I... uh, um... you. did. what?

*blink*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool session report. You may want to pick up more than the Core set and get into squad building in the future. It's like a whole nother game within the game when you're trying to squeeze every last point out of your squad so you can place that needed R2 unit on your Y-Wing.

Also, I would never keep the models put away and just play with the bases. The pure awesomeness of a mass of TIE fighters in the middle of the table weaving in and out of plodding Rebel ships as the two sides tear each other apart is just amazing. We had a game last night where 6 TIE's (one was Vader) all surrounded a few X-Wings and a Y-Wing near the center of the table. The Rebel line was pushing forward surrounding the Y-Wing and was dealing with attackers on all flanks. It was intense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our games, we've peg heights in the stands, so that not ever model is 2 pegs high. Some are 1, some are 3, 4 and even 5. It adds yet another visual dynamic that is just cool.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Adan
United States
Erving
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobleSavage wrote:

Nope. Never. Not. Ever. With any miniatures game.

For me the visual component is as important as the game itself. Without it I feel like I'm only playing half of the game. I can understand why that wouldn't be the same for everybody - but then I wouldn't consider those people to be miniatures gamers.

A company came out with a "miniatures" game that replaced the miniatures with cards. It was a clever game that I never wanted to play even though it was much easier to get into than pretty much any true miniatures game. That's just me though.

Can't do this without the miniatures:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a new game called squares and sticks. Guess they could sell the starter for $12-15.00 and the expansions $4-5.00.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to defend the OP, I've played a game with just the bases as well. I prefer the look of the miniatures, of course, but I didn't have much time to get a game in and it made it much quicker to just pull out the bases and go. Worked just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Clayton
United States
Hanceville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
You may want to pick up more than the Core set and get into squad building in the future.

Oh we certainly did. I bought one of each expansion, and will probably buy another core set at some point. Last night was just our first session. Really looking forward to the YT-1300 as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Clayton
United States
Hanceville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar in what was pretty much the majority reaction wrote:
KnobleSavage wrote:

*blink*

I... uh, um... you. did. what?

*blink*

Okay, guys, okay. For us it was just a matter of the models getting in the way. I can certainly see how in a more extensive game, with larger groups of fighters, abstracting out to just the bases would make the game a lot less fun. It would be exactly the same game mind you. My wife and I were actually speaking about this after we put the game away. She made the point that, one could, if one wished, play a game of chess using nothing but cardboard chits, and an 8 x 8 grid drawn on paper. From a game play standpoint, it would be exactly the same, but it wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The mechanics are the same, yes, but one of the things that makes this game great is the immersion factor. It just *feels* more like star wars with the figures flying around. I can't imagine playing this game sans minis. I mean it's kind of the whole point.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobleSavage wrote:

I haven't yet, but I totally understand the sentiment. I got really stressed out when I accidentally brushed the cannons of my X-wing with my arm. Playing with just the bases takes that stress away, but also takes away the immersion. However, if you're like me and you're too cheap to spend money on a nice-looking mat or table, you're not gonna feel the immersion anyway, since they'll look like pieces of plastic on a dinner table instead of iconic ships from the Star Wars galaxy vying for space superiority through intense dogfights.

... Maybe I just need to invest in a mat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budgernaut wrote:
KnobleSavage wrote:

I haven't yet, but I totally understand the sentiment. I got really stressed out when I accidentally brushed the cannons of my X-wing with my arm. Playing with just the bases takes that stress away, but also takes away the immersion. However, if you're like me and you're too cheap to spend money on a nice-looking mat or table, you're not gonna feel the immersion anyway, since they'll look like pieces of plastic on a dinner table instead of iconic ships from the Star Wars galaxy vying for space superiority through intense dogfights.

... Maybe I just need to invest in a mat.

Not judging the OP at all... it may be a good game without the minis, but will it feel like Star Wars? I'm guessing not, so what's the point? Let's be very clear here; this is a pretty cool game, with interesting decisions which sets it above many skirmish games which are simply "move, shoot, move, shoot, etc...", but there ARE better games. I'm eager to get this one to the table because it's Star Wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Clayton
United States
Hanceville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:

Not judging the OP at all... it may be a good game without the minis, but will it feel like Star Wars? I'm guessing not, so what's the point?

Well, I mean, I kind of thought that the point was to have a good time in an enjoyable activity with friends and family.

Was I wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobleSavage wrote:
ferris1971 wrote:

Not judging the OP at all... it may be a good game without the minis, but will it feel like Star Wars? I'm guessing not, so what's the point?

Well, I mean, I kind of thought that the point was to have a good time in an enjoyable activity with friends and family.

Was I wrong?

Yes.

Don't get defensive, I'm speaking a little tongue in cheek with these posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Clayton
United States
Hanceville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
KnobleSavage wrote:
ferris1971 wrote:

Was I wrong?

Yes.

Don't get defensive, I'm speaking a little tongue in cheek with these posts.

You don't need to explain yourself.... I'm not feeling the need to defend anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobleSavage wrote:

I haven't thrown aside the models, but I am making dials and cards for myself so that I can use my MUCH cheaper and MUCH sturdier (and MUCH more plentiful) Micro Machines to play.

Even though they are valued collectibles they are still relatively cheap to aquire (roughly $3 each) and can be thrown against the wall without damage.

Since you don't need very many to play, that might be a way to have your cake and eat it too.

I'm still buying plenty of the origional figures because..well I think they're cool and I figure I'll use them for anyone who is 'named' (ie, not a rookie.

Just an idea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.