Subject: Card Design Details rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here, I want to highlight all the neat little details going on in the borders of the cards, because they haven't been discussed yet and I think they're cool:

Events: Look at that wire on the right, and how it changes between factions. Clean and simple for Neutral, pretty beads for Shaper, black and professional for Criminal, and duct taped for Criminals, who also have scuffs and a broken LED.

Hardware: you can see a fan in the upper right, and the "screen" for the card art has a little crack in the bottom right.

Resources: The text panel looks like a sheaf of file folders, and the right margin like some sort of awful Minority Report sci-fi interface. You know, the pretty but probably completely unusable kind.

Corp cards:
Jinteki has a floral print strip on its cards; HB has neat circuitry, Weyland has 'W'-like spikes and wireframe building shapes; and NBN has unending streams of data.

Agendas: Here, the Corp flavor illustration gets the most room, as the art bubble leaves a pretty wide margin on the left.

Operations: I don't know what the border is supposed to signify here. The ridges on the middle left make the orientation of the art somewhat comic-book like, you know, in those action cuts where the borders get diagonal.

Assets provide space for a variation on the motifs - most drastically, Jinteki has a bamboo-ish vibe on its assets. NBN's borders make it clear that the text is on various monitors.

Upgrades: The corp flavorings drop out here. What's weird to me is that the lever on the left is at different positions for different corps. Weird.

ICE: The right/bottom edge of the card has the corp flavorings. A pity the Programs don't have a similar space for faction-specific symbology.

Any other neat details that you've seen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Classic, people love to talk about the negatives, not the positives

I like that you posted both the things you appreciate and the things you take issue with though!

I agree, there's lots of detail to enjoy, and lots of small touches that are quite nice. I think taken as a whole the cards really do look great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, another little thing: the background for the Runners' textboxes: Shapers have grids, Criminals have horizontal lines, and Anarchs have staticky noise!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cilantro V
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Are there any buildings clad in the flayed skin of contract-for-life-salarymen yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, have been enjoying the layout and formatting details that lend character to the cards.

My biggest gripe is that the positioning of the set symbol and the pips to designate how many appear in the core set is positioned, for many Runner cards, so they just happen to fall directly behind the little round foil logo on Ultra Pro sleeves. It's maddening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kaffis wrote:
I, too, have been enjoying the layout and formatting details that lend character to the cards.

My biggest gripe is that the positioning of the set symbol and the pips to designate how many appear in the core set is positioned, for many Runner cards, so they just happen to fall directly behind the little round foil logo on Ultra Pro sleeves. It's maddening.

I have located the source of this problem!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sleaze
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you need to see how many are in the core game when you are playing?
I don´t get at all why they put it on there.. in the expansions we will have each card 3 times.. and in some month noone will care a s... about how many of a card where in the core... don´t get what some players find anoying about the location of a completly unimportant information...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IamSalvation wrote:

I don´t get at all why they put it on there..

To make it easy to make sure you've stripped out all the neutrals when going between decks? To make it easy for you to return the cards you've borrowed from a friend for a tournament? To easily tell if you're missing anything?

There are reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
IamSalvation wrote:

I don´t get at all why they put it on there..

To make it easy to make sure you've stripped out all the neutrals when going between decks? To make it easy for you to return the cards you've borrowed from a friend for a tournament? To easily tell if you're missing anything?

There are reasons.

To easily build their "starter decks" is another reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A small thing I really love: design of program cards. There's something neat in all those hexes in so many different layers. That's also what I love in Metal Gear Solid 2, so there must be something weird with me and hexes.
And one more thing - sockets on hardware cards (on the left). Feels like there could be some expansion board going in or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In the text box, the line separating the Traits & Types line from the remainder of the card's text is different:

Corps:
HB: line of circuitry
Jinteki: natural motif, like a twig or sapling
NBN: PowerPoint or CNN style fading line
Weyland: surveyor's markings

Runners:
Anarch: dashed diagonal racing stripes
Criminal: (two faced) double line
Shaper: coarse dashes suggesting stitching or construction

Assets: The backgrounds behind the card art are similar to, but not identical to, the backgrounds behind the Agenda art. The motif is also used in the border around the Asset text box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gabel
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Secretly John Masanori
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently picked up and started playing L5R. Cracking open the starter deck I was immediately confused. There are at least as many different types of cards as in A:NR, but the art on them is all so samey. The only element that is different on many of the cards is a little symbol in the upper right corner! Very confusing.(Though the game is quite good, and I am beginning to recommend it.)

Say what you want about FFG, but their products have some of the highest production value of any board/card game on the market, and their graphics people are spot on amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damocles346 wrote:
I recently picked up and started playing L5R. Cracking open the starter deck I was immediately confused. There are at least as many different types of cards as in A:NR, but the art on them is all so samey. The only element that is different on many of the cards is a little symbol in the upper right corner! Very confusing.(Though the game is quite good, and I am beginning to recommend it.)

Say what you want about FFG, but their products have some of the highest production value of any board/card game on the market, and their graphics people are spot on amazing.

Is Legend of 5 Rings still going? Still being printed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gabel
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Secretly John Masanori
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:

Is Legend of 5 Rings still going? Still being printed?

Apparently? Like I said, just got into it last week, so it's all new to me, but it seems to have a pretty rabid fan base around this area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Brooks
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Runner cards (for reference):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Searfoss
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damocles346 wrote:

This is actually somewhat disheartening. I played L5R back in the day and it was very easy to tell what type of card you had in your hand just by looking at the design/background.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.