Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy Davis
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the Patriot Act is in effect and the US player plays Special Forces with Troops in the Philippines, does the Patriot Act prevent Special Forces from removing a cell from the United States since the Philippines isn't considered adjacent? (due to the Patriot Act)

If so, that means the US can't perform Spec Ops in its own backyard because of legislation (i.e. the Patriot Act) designed to prevent cells from entering the US in the first place! I don't know much about the Patriot Act but that doesn't seem very thematic ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes... I still like 'em 35 years later...
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it's thematically weird but strictly from a rules-perspective, it seems pretty clear that the US is not adjacent to the Philippines following play of Patriot Act.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All true, including "thematically weird".

The fact is that using Special Forces to remove a cell in the United States did not come up in playtest, and I did not think of it on my own, probably because it is cheap just to Disrupt in the US, while Special Forces' ability to remove cells from otherwise denied or difficult areas is precious. (Thematically, what would require troops in the Philippines?) But the events as written (Abu Sayyaf plus Special Forces) make it possible, so there it is.

Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davis
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:

The fact is that using Special Forces to remove a cell in the United States did not come up in playtest, and I did not think of it on my own, probably because it is cheap just to Disrupt in the US, while Special Forces' ability to remove cells from otherwise denied or difficult areas is precious. (Thematically, what would require troops in the Philippines?) But the events as written (Abu Sayyaf plus Special Forces) make it possible, so there it is.

Volko

No worries at all and not a criticism for what is a fine game. I just happened upon the possibility and thought it ironic. Also, it is nice to have the confirmation (especially from the designer). All the best and I guess I should be looking into Andean Abyss now, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cesare
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:

Volko

Actually, I think the "Posse Comitatus Act" would prevent special forces from operating in the US unless the President determines that "domestic violence has occurred to such an extent that the constituted authorities of the State or possession are incapable of maintaining public order."

For example, on March 10, 2009, active duty U.S. Army Military Police troops from Fort Rucker were deployed to Samson, Alabama in response to a murder spree. Samson officials confirmed that the soldiers assisted in traffic control and securing the crime scene. The governor of Alabama did not request military assistance nor did President Obama authorize their deployment. Subsequent investigation found that the Posse Comitatus Act was violated and several military members received "administrative actions."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.