Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Its all tactics and practice and the more games of X wing you play the more piloting becomes 2nd nature, which begs the question "how many fighters is the MOST amount you have run, as a single commander, in a single game"???

Do you have to have a brain like Stephen Hawking to be able to control and re enact the battle of Yavin 4?

Let us speak of squads and boast of mighty battles in the stars, what is the largest squad/fleet you have ever run without having to stick a pilot stress token to you forehead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Four is the most I have controlled at one time. I think six would be the most I would want to control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Freybeck
msg tools
mbmbmb
Last weekend I hosted a 360 point game with 4 players.

A friend and I co-commanded a 17 Tie/Tie Advanced fleet against a 12 Rebel ship fleet consisting of 8 X-wings and 4 Y-wings. I personally commanded 8 ships, my friend 9, and he was stressing out a bit. When a few of my ships were eliminated, I took on 2 of his.

After the Rebels conceded, the 3 of us (the 4th player had to leave early) agreed that at most we would be comfortable commanding 4-6 ships each.

It was a fun game, but we also realized that the number of ships needing to move and resolve combat each round were hard to keep track of and made for slower game play.

However, I believe that breaking up the ships into squads that move and fire close together made the game easier for me to handle from the beginning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"There´s too many of them!"

"This is where the fun begins..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
m1t1c1s wrote:
Last weekend I hosted a 360 point game with 4 players.

A friend and I co-commanded a 17 Tie/Tie Advanced fleet against a 12 Rebel ship fleet consisting of 8 X-wings and 4 Y-wings. I personally commanded 8 ships, my friend 9, and he was stressing out a bit. When a few of my ships were eliminated, I took on 2 of his.

After the Rebels conceded, the 3 of us (the 4th player had to leave early) agreed that at most we would be comfortable commanding 4-6 ships each.

It was a fun game, but we also realized that the number of ships needing to move and resolve combat each round were hard to keep track of and made for slower game play.

However, I believe that breaking up the ships into squads that move and fire close together made the game easier for me to handle from the beginning.

yes synchronized formation using just one dial to control a group of fighters really does make very large battles possible.

Its easier still when all ships in the formation have the SAME pilot stats, but is equally possible with mixed pilot stats, as fire is still resolved on a ship by ship basis.

Obviously they all have to be the same ship type.

It has its pros and cons.

The way I believe it should be done is identical ships within range 1 of each other with an identical facing declare themselves as a "Formation" at the start of a new total turn then all use just the one dial to denote the formations action.

The formation "Breaks" and become individuals again in much the same way using a "Breaking Formation" declaration at the start of a new total turn.

It does make your fighters act like a shoal of fish while in formation and makes them a very big block of more predictable targets, but if the fish in your shoal are all sharks with fricken laser beams on their heads... Then being in a gang aint all that bad, word up my space homies yeah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Foulk
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GHOST FINGER wrote:

The way I believe it should be done is identical ships within range 1 of each other with an identical facing declare themselves as a "Formation" at the start of a new total turn then all use just the one dial to denote the formations action.

There is a slight problem with this that the opponant should be on the lookout for... which is if you nominate one ship and then simply position the others to remain relative to it you could end up moving beyond the maneuver limits with one of the 'slave' ships...

That being said it does make sense and the 'problem' above could just mean the formation 'broke' before the moving player intended; it is something I will try for sure as even with one player per side I'd like to still be able to try big battles.

(btw I assume you do mean you move one ship and slave the others to it - otherwise the first time you made a turn with multiple ships using the same maneuver the formation would go all to hell)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played the first Scenario with 100 pts, was 2 Y-Wings + 1 X-Wing vs 1 TIE Advanced + 4 TIE Fighters. So 5 ships on one side.

The most you could control in a 100pt game is 8 TIE Academy Pilot Fighters (the cheapest, coming in at 96 total). Not sure if quantity is better than quality atm, gotta play a few more. I was really hoping to field 2 TIE Advanceds and 4 TIE Fighters (2 squads of 3) but the points are making it that the only way I could is if they were pretty much bare bones, so I might scrap that in favor of tougher ships/pilots/upgrades.

Of course, all this changes once Interceptors are on the table

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 5 on the Imperial side; Vader, Winged Gundark,Backstabber, Black Squadron 1 & 2 with upgrades. I've never favored "swarm" fleets/squadrons in any space or air combat minis games I've played and I made a lot of mistakes running that 5-ship squadron. Flew my fighters into each other more than once. It was chaotic. The Imperial squadron I'm trying out this weekend will be 4 ships and I'm still in learning mode with this game so that's cool. Once I know the game better I'll try 5+ fighters on the Imperial side again since swarming and a big numerical advantage might very well be an effective way to play the Empire.

On the flip side I'm pretty comfortable playing 3-ship "elite" squadrons with the Rebels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.