BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: computer OS question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My laptop hard drive died and I need to get it running ASAP. I replaced the hard drive but my laptop didn't come with a recovery CD, only a partition on the now bad hard drive. I'm not having any luck recovering Windows Vista, so I'm considering switching to a free OS.

Can anyone give me advice on what it's like using GNU/Linux or other OS's? Will I have to get all new programs (like for word processing) and will they be compatible with the files I already have from Word & Excel?

I've been out of work for a loooong time and spending money to buy another copy of Windows is not a very good option right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
You will need new programs for almost everything. They tend to come with the linux distribution of your choosing.

As far as compatibility with your files, you'll have little trouble opening your files. Where you might have trouble is things like supporting built in cameras, sound drivers and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
You will need new programs for almost everything. They tend to come with the linux distribution of your choosing.

As far as compatibility with your files, you'll have little trouble opening your files. Where you might have trouble is things like supporting built in cameras, sound drivers and such.

Mostly correct. Ubuntu is dandy but the newest version is a bit too hardware intensive for my old lappy. I'm thinking of downgrading to a lighter version like Lubuntu.

I've never had any probs with Ubuntu supporting standard, recent accessories. All plug and play.

You can get open source apps to handle your basic MS files but if you have macros or advanced features they may not be fully supported.

I use my laptop almost exclusively as a web browser. All my created docs are done with google docs (now Google Drive).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes you can contact the laptop manufacturer and ask them their policy on sending you a copy of the restore software for your model on a DVD. They may charge you a small amount but it is not much. I had to do that once and I think they charged me $5 for a replacement disk. They may not do it but it is worth a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Komodo wrote:
Sometimes you can contact the laptop manufacturer and ask them their policy on sending you a copy of the restore software for your model on a DVD. They may charge you a small amount but it is not much. I had to do that once and I think they charged me $5 for a replacement disk. They may not do it but it is worth a shot.

Thanks, I'll try that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a genuine serial number sticker on your laptop somewhere?

Anyone's copy of Vista will work with that number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil AnnergÄrd
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the harddrive is only partily dead you might be able to boot in linux and make a dd copy of it to later mot t on a new drive.

(well something like that)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
Do you have a genuine serial number sticker on your laptop somewhere?

Anyone's copy of Vista will work with that number.

Yes, I've got the sticker with the license number. Unfortunately, all copies of Vista I've borrowed come from recovery disks from other manufacturers and for some reason they aren't working. One I got to load about 80% and then it aborted the installation.

I'm trying to get a recovery CD from Dell but my system is 3 or 4 years old so they don't have anything available from their website. I need to call customer service and see what they have to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
virre wrote:
Of the harddrive is only partily dead you might be able to boot in linux and make a dd copy of it to later mot t on a new drive.

(well something like that)

I pulled the bad drive, put it in an external case and thought I could use another computer to pull the data off it but the second computer I have is giving me all kinds of problems as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you end up changing to Linux, Open Office (openoffice.org) should be able to read Word and Excel files. It's free. I can't say I've extensively tested this, though; I've just played with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.