No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dear fellowship

if the text on card said 'after xxxxxx then reshuffle this card back to that deck'

do you :

1> put that card on the bottom of the deck
2> put that card randomly inside the deck (closing your eyes etc)
3> put that card in the deck and shuffle the WHOLE deck ?

(i pick 1 for my games)

This is my 1st card game ever and im not english speaker so this wording got to me (among others, so many terms to learn with these cardgames)..

i got confused with the wording 'after you do this action then shuffle this card back to the encounter deck'. Do i just put the card(s) inside the mentioned deck randomly , like slipping them in ? or i put them in randomly and then shuffle the whole deck ?

im confused because on some cards there is EXPLICIT order to shuffle the deck, example: on some scenario card there is order like 'take 1 xxx and 1 yyy on staging area , then shuffle the encounter deck'

LIST OF CARDS WITH EXPLICIT SHUFFLE ORDER

Setup: Search the encounter deck for 1 copy of the Forest Spider and 1 copy of the Old Forest Road, and then add them the staging area. Then, shuffle the encounter deck.

When Revealed: Search the encounter deck for 1 Hill Troll (if one is not already in play), and place it n the staging area. Shuffle the encounter deck.

Setup: Search the encounter deck for Rhosgobel and Wilyandor, and add them to the staging area with 2 damage tokens on Wilyador. Then, shuffle the encounter deck.

robot robot robot sauron

LIST OF CARDS WITH NO EXPLICIT SHUFFLE ORDER

Forced: After Eastern Crows is defeated, shuffle it back into the encounter deck.

Response: After Mountains of Mirkwood leaves play as an explored location, each player may search the top 5 cards of his deck for 1 card and add it to his hand. Shuffle the rest of the searched cards back into their owners' decks.

Action: Beorn gains +5 until the end to the phase. At the end of the phase in which you trigger this effect, shuffle Beorn back into your deck. (Limit once per round.)

Forced: After Wolves from Mordor attack and destroy a character, shuffle Wolves from Mordor into the encounter deck.

Action: Search the top 5 cards of your deck for any number of Eagle cards and add them to your hand. Shuffle the other cards back into your deck.

Setup: Search the encounter deck for 12 Scout cards, and add 3 per player (one of each title), to the staging area.
Remove The Witch-king from the encounter deck and set him aside, out of play. Shuffle any unused Scout cards back into the encounter deck.

LIST OF CARDS WITH EXPLICIT SHUFFLE ORDER

Setup: Search the encounter deck for 1 copy of the Forest Spider and 1 copy of the Old Forest Road, and then add them the staging area. Then, shuffle the encounter deck.

When Revealed: Search the encounter deck for 1 Hill Troll (if one is not already in play), and place it n the staging area. Shuffle the encounter deck.

Setup: Search the encounter deck for Rhosgobel and Wilyandor, and add them to the staging area with 2 damage tokens on Wilyador. Then, shuffle the encounter deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: ASK : How do you do this "Reshuffle this card back to the deck" ? put them on the bottom or close your eyes and put it randomly ?
3. It uses the word reshuffle, so you must shuffle. Thus, if you know where one or more cards are (due to top decking or bottom decking, etc.), then you will no longer know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: ASK : How do you do this "Reshuffle this card back to the deck" ? put them on the bottom or close your eyes and put it randomly ?
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
3. It uses the word reshuffle, so you must shuffle. Thus, if you know where one or more cards are (due to top decking or bottom decking, etc.), then you will no longer know.

reshuffle whole deck after the card is reinserted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:

reshuffle whole deck after the card is reinserted?

Yes. The whole point is that you know NOTHING about where in the deck your card is. Reshuffle means...shuffle. Again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crap i been doing this wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Bateman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a good question. I was wondering this in the context of the mulligan if you don't like your opening hand. I always did reshuffle just to be safe, so it seems that I was doing it right, but I was never really sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the mulligan rules say you reshuffle.

Which includes an honest-to-goodness shuffle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
notrub eneg
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I randomly insert the card and reshuffle the entire deck.

However, to prevent card and/or sleeve wear, my reshuffle is performed by randomly dealing cards face down into stacks (6-10 random stacks; depends on size of deck I am shuffling), and randomly combining those stacks, obviously face down, back together. I then repeat the sequence to insure a good mix.

I am sure it seems laborious but I am very protective of the cards, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
notrub wrote:
However, to prevent card and/or sleeve wear, ...

"sleeve wear"

That's kinda funny, that you are protective about the items used to protect your other items.

Quote:
my reshuffle is performed by randomly dealing cards face down into stacks (6-10 random stacks; depends on size of deck I am shuffling), and randomly combining those stacks, obviously face down, back together. I then repeat the sequence to insure a good mix.

It is also easier to do than riffle shuffling with sleeves.

Quote:
I am sure it seems laborious but I am very protective of the cards, I guess.

Actually, it is a pretty good method of shuffling thoroughly, which is used a lot in (collectible) card games.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
notrub eneg
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, yes,

Regarding sleeve wear, my experience has been that several types of sleeves I have tried (most recently the newer ultrapros), tended to split along the edge seam after a time, when when I was "merge" shuffling. Not sure if it was me or the sleeve, but I never had a problem with the ultrapros I have that are up to 10 years old. Go figure.

I certainly haven't had any issues with my current shuffling method - that's my story and I'm sticking to it, heh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys answering this question without a lick of sarcasm are my heroes. You are better men than I could ever be. Seriously, it's guys like you who make this site so much more rewarding than sites like GameFAQs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pintsizepete wrote:
You guys answering this question without a lick of sarcasm are my heroes. You are better men than I could ever be. Seriously, it's guys like you who make this site so much more rewarding than sites like GameFAQs.

why would ppl who want to help newbies answer with sarcasm ?
these guys/gals in lotrlcg BGG forum are heroes as far as i can tell

BTW

This is my 1st card game ever and im not english speaker so this wording got to me (among others, so many terms to learn with these cardgames)..

i got confused with the wording 'after you do this action then shuffle this card back to the encounter deck'. Do i just put the card(s) inside the mentioned deck randomly , like slipping them in ? or i put them in randomly and then shuffle the whole deck ?

im confused because on some cards there is EXPLICIT order to shuffle the deck, example: on some scenario card there is order like 'take 1 xxx and 1 yyy on staging area , then shuffle the encounter deck'

like these cards..

Forced: After Eastern Crows is defeated, shuffle it back into the encounter deck.

Response: After Mountains of Mirkwood leaves play as an explored location, each player may search the top 5 cards of his deck for 1 card and add it to his hand. Shuffle the rest of the searched cards back into their owners' decks.

Action: Beorn gains +5 until the end to the phase. At the end of the phase in which you trigger this effect, shuffle Beorn back into your deck. (Limit once per round.)

Forced: After Wolves from Mordor attack and destroy a character, shuffle Wolves from Mordor into the encounter deck.

Action: Search the top 5 cards of your deck for any number of Eagle cards and add them to your hand. Shuffle the other cards back into your deck.

*** LIST OF CARDS WITH EXPLICIT SHUFFLE ORDER ***

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Two problems here:

1) FFG are incapable of using consistent wording on their cards. A simple thing to do, but they do not seem to care. Shockingly inept and user hostile.
2) Many people on here are not native English speakers, so we should all be careful with responses. From time to time I do get irritated with 'daft' questions, but when I am in that mood, I try to move on without answering, because sarcasm, etc., rarely helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
notrub wrote:
Regarding sleeve wear, my experience has been that several types of sleeves I have tried (most recently the newer ultrapros), tended to split along the edge seam after a time, when when I was "merge" shuffling.

I am rather careful about that, because it easily happens, when you shuffle the cards from one pile into the sleeve-openings (top side) from the other pile, and then push them together.

Therefore, I ever only riffle-shuffle them with the sleeve-bottom-side. That works perfectly fine.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:

When you say "slip it in randomly" that's not random. Random would include an equal possibility that the card being replaced ends up on the top or bottom of the deck. It doesn't mean "somewhere in the middle, but I probably can't remember where".

Any time your deck needs to be randomized, they're talking about shuffling the whole thing.

As for the differences in wording on those cards, they mainly differ in which cards are added back to the deck prior to shuffling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.