Subject: Does running out of Hauntings advance the Shadow Track? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
"If you played by the rules; the ghost pirate rules, none of this would have happened."

-- Venture Brothers

So the Sunken Seven villain places 7 of the 11 Haunting tokens on the board. Killing a haunting ghost provides a pile of bones. If you don't "spend" the bones the haunting pile isn't refreshed. If you can't place a minion on the board the Shadow Track advances by one. Hauntings aren't minions per the rules so does the Shadow Track advance if you can't place a haunting? My play group decided yes it does advance.

Do you place hauntings if you roll a 6 on the co-op mystery chart? Hauntings are not minions so there are no minions on the board. It didn't make sense not to add two hauntings otherwise the roll of 6 does nothing so we added the two hauntings. Was that correct?

Our game was over in a few turns. We couldn't place hauntings which advanced the shadow track by 1. Then the elders hit 3 secrets and the secret distribution was such that most of the elders were evil so each elder was killed and deducted 2 from the Shadow Track. Did we play the game correctly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cotton Donkey
Canada
Milton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) In the Coast rule book (page 13) under the Sunken Seven, there is a blurb under:

Curse of the Sunken Seven
(just the important part for this question)

There are 12 Haunted Markers availible. If all of them are already on the board and a new Haunted Marker would be placed, move the Shadow Track 1 Step closer to Darkness instead.

You played it correctly.

2) I don't really know the official second answer. I think you played that right too. (check page 13 again.)

3) A Town Elder revealed to be an Evil Elder doesn't kill the Elder.
If you just revealed them to be Evil, (mabey because of too many secrets), they become Evil, and attach themselves to the Villain like a bunch of groupies.

Only if a Town Elder is Killed, do you move the Shadow Track. There is still a chance that the deceased Elder can become Evil or you can use a card to bring them back to life, etc.

So, in your game, if the Elders were only revealed to be Evil they would have just joined the Villain. The Shadow Track would not have moved. (Unless any of them were actually killed)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarifying question number 1.

Regarding Question Number 3, under the advanced game, the Sunken Seven kill any revealed "evil" town elders. I believe it's on the big card because my friend who monitored the villain card said that's how it worked. The evil elders really destroyed us. The co-op result 4 "Lies and Deceit" came up twice and exposed a lot of elders. Most of them turned out to be evil. Each killed elder hit us up for -2 on the Shadow Track. It worked out to -10 on the track combined with an elder who "Knew to Much" and was also killed for an additional -2.

I'm looking forward to tackling the Sunken 7 again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cotton Donkey
Canada
Milton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ouch!

I played a 3 player against them but it wasn't as brutal. Though we still got our butts handed to us.

I forgot about the ability, I didn't have the card in front of me when answering that but if it kills them, then you definately played it right.

I'm looking forward to playing against them again too. I want revenge on these Vengeful Spirits!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 & 3 looks like you played correctly Neil. If you can't place Hauntings, Advance Shadow Track. If an Elder would become Evil, the are Killed instead. Advance Shadow Track. Nasty.devil

As for #2, on the 7's Minion Chart, their #6 result of "Place a Haunting" is listed as a (Event/Minion). And under their heading it says Hauntings "represent individual ghost Minions".

So for purposes of #6 on the ACOMPC IMO I'd say they count as a Minion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very devilish indeed! The rule book specifically says they are *not* minions and I assumed the intent of it was that the hauntings wouldn't move towards town hall; kind of like how ghosts are bound to the location of their bodies/objects, etc in stories. Gamewise it means hauntings will only appear at named locations as identified by Lair cards.

I figured calling them minions on the Villain Minion Chart was so you could place more of hauntings on the board because you'd need some mechanism for refreshing them. But I could be reading too much into it.

You could argue that it's an event/minion and therefore there are no valid results for co-op chart result #6. That didn't make sense to me so I came to the conclusion it meant "add two hauntings" since the hauntings on the board couldn't move because they aren't minions. The net result meets the design goal of putting more hauntings into play. I don't have the chart handy at the moment but doesn't result #6 cause minions to move to town hall?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
Very devilish indeed! The rule book specifically says they are *not* minions and I assumed the intent of it was that the hauntings wouldn't move towards town hall; kind of like how ghosts are bound to the location of their bodies/objects, etc in stories. Gamewise it means hauntings will only appear at named locations as identified by Lair cards.

I figured calling them minions on the Villain Minion Chart was so you could place more of hauntings on the board because you'd need some mechanism for refreshing them. But I could be reading too much into it.

You could argue that it's an event/minion and therefore there are no valid results for co-op chart result #6. That didn't make sense to me so I came to the conclusion it meant "add two hauntings" since the hauntings on the board couldn't move because they aren't minions. The net result meets the design goal of putting more hauntings into play. I don't have the chart handy at the moment but doesn't result #6 cause minions to move to town hall?

I believe so. And after doing a bit more reading on the Seven, it does say in one point that these are treated as Hauntings in all respects, but in other places it does specify that the members of the Seven that are encountered in thus way ARE Minions, so I'm a bit on the fence...

I'll have to reread more, but I kind of walked away thinking perhaps the Haunting itself doesn't count as a minion, just the ghost encountered...

I guess it would makes sense on the Advance Co-Op #6 for it NOT to move, a Haunted location probably shouldn't wander around...?

The original reading on the other hand was what led me to the conclusion that, since it was in the case of The Seven being the Villain, that they might be an exception to the usual Haunting/Minion rule(s)?
---MS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danilo Bruno Barbosa
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my game, we don't move Haunted Markers, just ignore when a new one appears where another one is already there.

In manual says that there are a limit to 1 token per location.

My problem with the scenario is that the Villain is too easy to kill in showdown. Are yours too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.