Subject: Large group variant . 2 sets of 7 wonders?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group loves 7 wonders. Our problem... We usually have 9 to 14 people at our friends house playing games. Lately a lot of ultimate werewolf. Is being played , but we would like more 7 wonders. Is it possible to plate with two combined sets?
It seems feasible but just thought I would use BGG as a sounding board. :-)

Thoughts anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:
My gaming group loves 7 wonders. Our problem... We usually have 9 to 14 people at our friends house playing games. Lately a lot of ultimate werewolf. Is being played , but we would like more 7 wonders. Is it possible to plate with two combined sets?

Thoughts anyone?

Not the question you asked, but I've never understood the thought process that everyone in the group has to play the same game. Especially when a group that size.

Now the question you did ask: In theory it should work, but could get weird situation with uneven card distribution. It's possible that someone could build only 2 or 3 structures and then be dealt a hand of nothing but duplicates. Or in the reverse, it's possible for a whole chunk of the table to never see a certain resource.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just play 2 games of 7 Wonders? That way you know it will work just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
Why not just play 2 games of 7 Wonders? That way you know it will work just fine.

Logical, I know. But the group wants every one to play together.I think that is what we will have to do. Hmm I guess it is just has easy to have say 12 people at the table , but you only trade cards with 6 players. Gave a dividing line in the table for that. The only minor problem might be the 4 players siting next to each other but are in different card passing circles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:

Make it work like a tournament then everyone IS playing together

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think playing with two decks is a fundamentally a good idea, but we gotta solve problems with the card mix.

How about playing with different "neighbors" in each Age? You then have two intermingled games going on in the same circle ("OK everybody, in this next Age the person you fight, trade and pass cards with will now be two people over...")

As far as figuring out an orderly way to divide into subgames, I couldn't tell you. Maybe have a smaller sub-game "interrupt" the bigger one? So, if sitting in a clock, the smaller game is:

Age I: 12, 3, 6, 9 (the rest play the larger subgame)
Age II: 1, 4, 7, 10
Age III: 2, 5, 8, 11

Good luck separating components back into two sets when you're done, though!

Dnasearchr wrote:
downeymb wrote:

Logical, I know. But the group wants every one to play together.

I can attest to this effect. If the group is at all social, then gaming will not be their sole purpose: the chance to see all their friends in one place is precious they'll want every moment to interact with all of them in a totally new way.

Picture it this way: days later, they will want to share the stories about the party and hear how everyone felt or reacted when so-and-so started building that huge army, laughed with a cookie in his mouth or whatever...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis de Vries
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
Ah, doctor, that aneasthetic is perfect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:

Thoughts anyone?

Make teams: 1 wonder per 2 or 3 persons.

Of course the tournament suggestion is also great. Make sure that the 'losers' also play a game again to decide who is receiving the consolation prize (in this case everybody plays the same amount of games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Menghini wrote:
Make teams: 1 wonder per 2 or 3 persons.

That's what we normally do, because in large parties there's inevitably two or three people who don't have the patience to understand the rules. Loot is definitely the best game for team play since there's actually some level of independence for the team members.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Woodward
United States
Bowling Green
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:

Thoughts anyone?

I'd love to have your problem; our group has trouble going over 4 anymore. But I would think side by side games then play the next game with top scorers and bottom scorers in separate games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You want to know what the secret to us having a large turn out is? My friend's wife. ;-). We play at their house and she cooks a HUGE spread every Friday board game night we have!! It's had become very popular.

I think we will play with to groups playing at the same large gaming table. :-). Unlike other games, the good thing about playing multiple games of 7 Wonders is that they will all start and finish at just about the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am picking up another set of 7 wonders, leaders , and cities. That should could cover any group size we get with the ability to have up to 16 people play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bright
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to resurrect a dead thread, but have you given thought to modifying the team rules presented in Cities? Just have two people play one wonder as a team. It might work a bit better than two sets, and it accomplishes the same goal of having everyone play together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group didn't want to play teams. Others sure could try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.