The Man
msg tools
Like many I have a big purchase. Are all the pilot ability cards put in one pile, and who gets to flesh out his squad(s) first? For example, ther is marksmanship, squad leader (only one, coming from TIE advanced). Is it a common pile for all these pilot cards, and who gets first dibs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tesser
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
conedguy wrote:
Like many I have a big purchase. Are all the pilot ability cards put in one pile, and who gets to flesh out his squad(s) first? For example, ther is marksmanship, squad leader (only one, coming from TIE advanced). Is it a common pile for all these pilot cards, and who gets first dibs?

I bought a bunch of stuff also and divided the cards as it made sense into 2 stacks.

Many are only good for one side anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man
msg tools
A possible solution. But there is still the case of uneven cards. Look at Squad lEader, only comes with TIE advnaced, but usable by both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tesser
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
conedguy wrote:
A possible solution. But there is still the case of uneven cards. Look at Squad lEader, only comes with TIE advnaced, but usable by both.

For sure. There are some. I have multiples of everything but in my case I have 3 Tie Advanced so it can be a problem.

We considered in that case 2 with Empire and 1 with Rebel THEN if the other side wants to pick through what is left it can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sagritalo
United States
Round Lake Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than in tournament play, is there any reason, other than unique upgrades, why you couldn't assign an upgrade to more than one ship even if you only have a limited number of copies of a given card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
RandomOne wrote:
Other than in tournament play, is there any reason, other than unique upgrades, why you couldn't assign an upgrade to more than one ship even if you only have a limited number of copies of a given card?

Nope.

However, the rulebook does quickly go through a process by which both players pick out upgrades for their ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LORDs_diakonos wrote:
conedguy wrote:

I bought a bunch of stuff also and divided the cards as it made sense into 2 stacks.

Like which ones? I believe all of them are usable by both side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man
msg tools
Three Headed Monkey wrote:
RandomOne wrote:

Nope.

However, the rulebook does quickly go through a process by which both players pick out upgrades for their ships.

Where in the rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
conedguy wrote:
RandomOne wrote:

Nope.

Where in the rulebook?

Hmm, I think I read too much into what it said. All I remembered was that it was mentioned.

Quote:
From page 21: Squad Building in Missions

The scenarios included in this rulebook play best
with 100-point squads. If players own only the three
ships found in this game box, it is recommended that
they each build 31-point squads. The Imperial player
chooses first from the available Upgrade cards.

So this may just refer to if you are using the three ships from the core box. Getting first choice with a full 100 point squadron would be a little bit more relevant than in 31 . I suppose though because the Rebels have more upgrades that only they can get, letting the Imperial player pick from Elite Pilot upgrades first may be fair in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We share a deck, so we roll a die or flip a coin to determine who gets to build their squad first. If there's a duplicate of a unique upgrade card, each player can use 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
LORDs_diakonos wrote:

Like which ones? I believe all of them are usable by both side.

Yes, all current Upgrade cards are usable by both sides. However since the current ships on both sides don't have the upgrade icons for all types of upgrades there are certain upgrades that effectively are only available to one side or the other. For missiles that will cease to be the case when wave 2 hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an order of precedence for picking upgrades? Also, is the uniqueness per side or per game? For example, who gets to pick the unique card Squad Leader first? And can each side have a copy or can only one copy in the game exist? (And how does that work in tournament rules?)

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as the Tournament Rules are concerned, you build your own 100 point squad by yourself, without considerations for the other players. Meaning, you can choose any faction and any upgrade cards you want. You keep this same squad for the duration of the entire Tournament. Tournament seeding does not factor in Rebel or Imperial, so there will be mirror matches of Rebel vs. Rebel or Imperial vs. Imperial. The Tournament rules state:

"Each player may field cards with unique names even if
his opponent is using a card with the same unique name."

So Luke Skywalker could be going up against Luke Skywalker, and they can each have the unique Squad Leader card.

Following this, if you've got enough cards for your home games, each player could technically take a copy of Squad Leader if they wanted. Otherwise, I guess you'll have to figure out a draft system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I only glossed over the tourney rules as I doubt I'll ever be in a tournament, but I've played a number of 100 pt games now, so I probably should have paid more attention

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauer
Australia
Whyalla Jenkins
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Heavy Euro Power
mbmbmbmbmb
conedguy wrote:
RandomOne wrote:

Nope.

Where in the rulebook?

Closest thing to this is probably pg21 bottom right in the rulebook, but it does specifically relate to squad building in missions: "The imperial player chooses first from the available upgrade cards."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dirk
msg tools
As has been said, only in non-tourney games this becomes an issue because in an official tourney you are only building 1 squad.

That said if you want to play by tourney rules (or as close as possible)...

I would say if there is contention on upgrade cards... You have 2 options.

1. House rule duplicating cards w/paper copy etc. Obviously only 1 unique per side.

2. Use initiative to draft cards, just like when placing obstacles. I am willing to bet this was the thought of FFG as well, since by non-tourney rules Imps get initiative when squad pts are equal. Seems to make sense the same system would be used for upgrade cards.

1 player draws at a time, alternating their upgrade card draws. This also gives some alternative mechanic to be able to cater your squad based on what your opponent picks... You may not know how many ships but you would get a good estimate of what they are planning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.