Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there

I'm at a games night tonight, where we have about 3 hours. Will we have time to fit in CotE?

For game length I've heard 2-3 hours, BGG says 90 mins (which I dont think I believe) Eagle's website 90-120 mins and the box says 3-4 hours.

Struggle of Empires is 3-4 and CotE would seem to be more simple.

Would be grateful for any views. Incidentally, we'd all be new to this game (except me, tho I've not played) but generally pick up rules etc pretty quickly.

Thanks
Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
6 players in 4 hours. With 3 newbies.

And you are right - it plays faster than Struggle. Less to consider. Less analysis paralysis.

But it is all down to dicipline. Prior to my turn I made my army payment ready -Influence token and payment ready. My turn lasted only a few seconds. Other starts their turn with open bag - counting infantry - almost made the - reconsider - swapped a few infantry with a cav.... (sigh)

Tried to choach my friends and we made a couple of turns in 7 minutes. Other turns could reach 20 minutes.

With 4 experienced players I guess it should drop down to 2 - 2.5 hours full game.

I see no problem to make the game shorter. Play only 3 campaigns, or just 3 turns in a campaign. (Have not tried this)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't played before, I really doubt 3 hours is enough.

The turns can speed up dramatically once you have a sense of the strategy and what you should be trying to do each turn - but for new players, there is a lot to try and figure out the first play through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the answers.

Just to report, with a bit of manual checking for the first couple of turns and half an hour set up and rule explanation, we played 2 seasons. The whole lot took 2½ hours for 4 players.
Next time will be way quicker, and get straight in, so 3 hours is probably about right.

Nice game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC Connors
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for comparison, we played our first game today with 4 players -- it took about 3 hours, though the last campaign season went very fast because everyone made a desperate attempt to throw themselves at the leading alliance who had taken Rome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United States
Dryden
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just played a two-player game yesterday. We were both surprised when we finished in less then an hour. We had time to play another game, and that one was about sixty minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eker wrote:
6 players in 4 hours. With 3 newbies (...) I see no problem to make the game shorter. Play only 3 campaigns, or just 3 turns in a campaign. (Have not tried this)

We did follow this suggestion (3 seasons x 3 rounds x 2 actions = 18 in all) and although it has some drawbacks (it makes the game a bit more static) it works as a fine 1st time check-out-the-game-mechanics type of play. That you will enjoy and can teach to your friends and still make a decent time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.