Zooloretto Junior» Forums » General

Subject: Z Mini compared with Coloretto? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do people think this compares to Coloretto? Do people think it's worth owning both, or does one effectively displace the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew L
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd like to know too. Portability vs baby animals, tough call meeple

By the way, I love your books

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played Coloretto but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have elements like the trucks and male/female pairs adding babies into the mix.

I bought it to play with my 5 yr old daughter so the theme was a major plus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know this game was a simplified version of Zooloretto, I thought it was just a travel version with smaller components!

I like the idea of getting Zooloretto closer to Coloretto, by keeping the cute theme but removing additional 'complications' like coins, etc. But by reading the rules I see an issue. In Coloretto you can adapt your strategy by changing, specially during the first part of the game and while seeing other player's strategies, your three 'main' colors in which you plan to get the most of the cards.

If I read the rules right, Zooloretto Mini is lacking this completely? Once you take the first lorry, you are stuck with those animal types until the end of the game?

If so, has anyone come up with a simple rule/variant that introduces that dynamical part of Coloretto into this game while keeping it simple? I would definitely buy this game if such a variant existed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about it, the only thing that should be added is the "exchange" option from Zooloretto:

"Exchange two animal type locations, between two enclosures or between barn and enclosure"

In Zooloretto this costs 1 coin, here it could be free, or even better add -1 to that player score (every time he does it)...

In that way, you can correct during the game a 1st round choice that turned out to be particularly (and unpredictably) bad. And you would still keep the good things from Coloretto!

EDIT/ Added as a variant: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1284211/exchange-option-clos...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.