Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a lot of AA 4-player games, but only on Vassal. I thought I'd never get a chance to play it live, F2F with 4 people, because most of the people I game with, when I have the time, they like to play Space Hulk, Arkham Horror type of games. But last night I got to meet up with a new group and we played a 4-player game live and it was great. It was their first time playing, we started at 6:30pm and didn't get done until almost 2 am. It was a close bloody knuckle drag out fight. Towards the end, I was government and was trading blows with the Cartels and AUC and Farc were busy slitting each others throats. In the end, no one got victory conditions, but AUC won because they were closest to their victory condition.

I felt bad for the Cartels player, because every time they got close to winning, I would Eradicate their bases, I'd like to know how the Cartels can minimize this powerful, unstoppable attack? Try to put bases in the cities, keep bases adjacent to Government departments, so when they do Eradicate, it effects their support
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As one of the four, I’ll throw in a second for how much fun a night this was.

Going in, I’d only read the rules and pushed pieces using the playbook walk-through. That’s super helpful, but until you get over the board and start pulling the levers, it’s hard to truly understand what’s what. And it for sure takes actual gameplay to be able to identify threats and openings. For me, as the AUC, it took at least half the game to figure out how clunky the AUC is mobility-wise, and how to work around that, at least a little, to harass and get some bases down. I lucked into getting five down early, starting thinking myself pretty special, until a lightning quick smack-down from the gov’t taught me I was going to have to play much, much better defense.

After the third prop card I was in a distant fourth. I noticed a few positional openings, so I made a decision to wage all-out war and target the FARC exclusively in three departments. I had to hope the gov’t was too busy with the (at the time, very powerful) cartels to have the resources to worry about me – there was no way to cover my back. And that's more or less what happened. But like Gordon said, my plan ran out of gas just as everyone’s did, though somehow I was the closest to the victory conditions when the clock hit 00:00.

The final quarter of the deck was super bloody with Gov’t v. Cartels and AUC v. FARC. Really good stuff. Can’t wait do another 4-player having this experience to draw from. AA really makes your head hurt, in a good way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I felt bad for the Cartels player, because every time they got close to winning, I would Eradicate their bases, I'd like to know how the Cartels can minimize this powerful, unstoppable attack? Try to put bases in the cities, keep bases adjacent to Government departments, so when they do Eradicate, it effects their support

Yes to both those tactics. Also:

Avoid crowding 2 bases in a single Department.

Use Shipments to place Bases. Cheap and if placed in the final Prop Round, count for final victory but are not subject to Eradication.

Deploy pairs of guerrillas for a sudden Rally of multiple bases.

Build a buffer of bases beyond 11 when you can.

Position to anticipate events such as Tingo Maria (by having 1 base per forest department) or Drogas La Rebaja and others that place urban bases (by prepositioning guerrillas in cities to protect new bases from Assault). ... Etc.

Glad you guys were able to get together a 4-way ftf -- I did the same today in VA.

Get this: the Govt and the Cartels at one point conspired to have the Cartels trigger Plan Colombia and then have the Govt hand over half that US counter narcotics aid to the drug lords! At another point, the Govt Swept into my heavily defended Opposition regions (I was FARC) with Police using the NDSC Capability, and then AUC promptly used Carabineros to turn 2 of those "Police" into his underground Guerrillas to be able to Assassinate my bases. Perfidy!

vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.