Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I´m not sure if we will see one.
The biggest hinderance I see in FFG making such a game is the existence of this game or more importantly, the existence of countless of minis already on the market.
You don´t make money in a miniatures game by selling rulebooks, you do by selling big numbers of miniatures.

Would you be interested at all?
If so, what would you like to be different in the new game from this game?
Would you buy the new minis (as FFG has proven before, these would be expected to be quality minis) or try to use your old ones as "proxies"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Dungeon Command a brilliant "repackaging" of their existing miniature sculpts by selling them in sets of fixed and cohesive factions. Most importantly of course, is that there has to be a very well designed game to support it.

Even with tons of D&D minis, I still bought Dungeon Command as I found the new skirmish system very compelling.

Something similar for Star Wars would be really cool!
(And yes, I've got lots of SWM minis as well)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Griffiths
United Kingdom
Wrexham
Wrexham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm torn on this. On the one hand, I would love a new game, and am a big fan of FFG games in general, but I have every miniature from WotC and really enjoyed this game, so I suppose I don't need another game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the Wings of War mechanics would work as well in a game that wasn't aircrafts/spacecrafts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there's a need for a character level skirmish game. They could, however, create a mass battles type game, or (even better) a galactic battle type of game. There's a big void there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
I don't think there's a need for a character level skirmish game. They could, however, create a mass battles type game, or (even better) a galactic battle type of game. There's a big void there.

I was thinking along the same direction a while ago when WotC dropped the license and nobody knew who will pick it up.
They could make a game centered around vehicles and squads, where the whole squad is on one base.
It could even be connected to the new "X-Wing", there could be ground support rules where you could use your X-Wing miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
I was thinking along the same direction a while ago when WotC dropped the license and nobody knew who will pick it up.
They could make a game centered around vehicles and squads, where the whole squad is on one base.

Right - that's what I meant by mass battles. Maybe even a higher level than squads.

I'd really like to see something more epic, though, on the order of War of the Ring. I think the closest thing we have is Star Wars Risk: OT. Or maybe Star Wars CCG when played with epic events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
The Jakster wrote:

Right - that's what I meant by mass battles. Maybe even a higher level than squads.

I'd really like to see something more epic, though, on the order of War of the Ring. I think the closest thing we have is Star Wars Risk: OT. Or maybe Star Wars CCG when played with epic events.

The problem here is that FFG doesn´t hold the rights to boardgames, only to miniature, card and roleplaying games.
It´s really a bummer for a company that is first and foremost known for it´s excellent boardgames. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
The Jakster wrote:

The problem here is that FFG doesn´t hold the rights to boardgames, only to miniature, card and roleplaying games.
It´s really a bummer for a company that is first and foremost known for it´s excellent boardgames. shake

Right - I forgot about that. Easily solved, though. Just make the board out of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
spalanzani wrote:
I'm torn on this. On the one hand, I would love a new game, and am a big fan of FFG games in general, but I have every miniature from WotC and really enjoyed this game, so I suppose I don't need another game.

This is really my issue too.

I've now moved on from Star Wars minis, collecting wise, onto Warhammer 40K, Heroclix and back into RPGs. Don't think my budget would allow another collectable miniatures game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I very much doubt I'd buy it - I already have so many games that I haven't the time to play them all. As has been said, I HAVE umpteen SW figures and a ruleset - why would I want to start collecting again?

Chances are I MIGHT buy the rulebook and just use it with my old figures IF I preferred the new rules.....but no way would I be buying dozens more figures to use with a new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the WoW mechanics would be weird on a character based game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely buy the starter to give it a try (and more -- probably lots more -- if it was a good game). I'm definitely hoping FFG does more with minis. I like the X-Wing game quite a bit, but it's not meant to be a replacement for SWM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Griffiths
United Kingdom
Wrexham
Wrexham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking this through some more, I am of the distinct opinion that FFG went with X-Wing for a miniatures game because the character-level creation from WotC is both (a) very comprehensive, and (b) still fairly readily available on the internet. Their starship-level game, however, didn't get off the ground (there's not meant to be a pun there, honest).

So I don't really expect we'll ever see a character-level miniatures game from them, but if they did produce such a thing, I would like to see it very much along the lines of Dust tactics/warfare. There should be a disclaimer here: I know nothing of Dust tactics/warfare beyond looking at some very cool pictures for their miniatures. But the amount of stuff they produce, beyond just miniature figures, seems really exciting, and I could probably buy into it if I had some terrain features/military hardware.

If anyone would like to enlighten me as to Dust tactics/warfare being how I seem to be imagining it, or otherwise, please feel free!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they do a land-based combat game, I fully expect it would be squad/vehicle level so that WotC's minis can't be proxies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
FFGs X-Wing game is supposed to be good, but it's too expensive for how much I envisage playing it, and that's the opinion of some friends at my games club too, and we're Heroclix and Warhammer 40K players. So if Warhammer 40K players think it's expensive...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don´t think it´s justified to call the game an expensive miniatures game.
The starter is 25$ and the fighter expansion 10$, the starter comes with loads of stuff.
People reduce this just to the 3 fighters in the starter, but this is so wrong, because of all the developement neccessary for a game.
The expansions all pack additional pilots, equipment and skills.
Compared with similar products, this is by no means more expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.