Citadels» Forums » Rules

Subject: Thief rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jelle Kaptijn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, i have a question. I am playing Citadels for over ten years and we always played that the thief earns his stolen money on the beginning of the turn of the player who was his target. Last week when we played it with some new players one of them was glaring in the rules and pointed me on the rules about the thief and it seems that after all the thief has to receive his money right away in his own turn. This makes a real difference for the gameplay. I am playing this wrong for over ten years? :s

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cirdan14 wrote:
Hi, i have a question. I am playing Citadels for over ten years and we always played that the thief earns his stolen money on the beginning of the turn of the player who was his target. Last week when we played it with some new players one of them was glaring in the rules and pointed me on the rules about the thief and it seems that after all the thief has to receive his money right away in his own turn. This makes a real difference for the gameplay. I am playing this wrong for over ten years? :s

No you have been playing it right for ten years. He does not steal until his target character is revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fer moros
South Korea
Kwang-Ju
Gwangju
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that is right, money comes when target is revealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the edition. Publishers reserve the right to modify rules, and different editions can have different rules. Just some examples: Carcassonne (Hans im Gluck vs. Rio Grande Games), Lord of the Rings The Confrontation (FFG rules are different than the German rules), etc. Even Citadels has some different rules that I know of for different publishers/editions, for example in one edition, if the King is assassinated, the person who picked the King gets to be King in the next round, in the other edition it's the previous King holder who gets to hold onto the crown.

I see that 999 games is the publisher of the Dutch edition. You would have to check the Dutch rules to be sure. Further, if it is different, you could investigate if it is a mis-translation of the rules, so a language issue, or, rather, an intentional change on the part of the publisher.

Or you could just play with the rules as they are in the English edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
It depends on the edition. Publishers reserve the right to modify rules, and different editions can have different rules. Just some examples: Carcassonne (Hans im Gluck vs. Rio Grande Games), Lord of the Rings The Confrontation (FFG rules are different than the German rules), etc. Even Citadels has some different rules that I know of for different publishers/editions, for example in one edition, if the King is assassinated, the person who picked the King gets to be King in the next round, in the other edition it's the previous King holder who gets to hold onto the crown.

I see that 999 games is the publisher of the Dutch edition. You would have to check the Dutch rules to be sure. Further, if it is different, you could investigate if it is a mis-translation of the rules, so a language issue, or, rather, an intentional change on the part of the publisher.

Or you could just play with the rules as they are in the English edition
That's the thing though... I've played the game with where German and French rules were used, but the Thief all work the same way. However, it's possible there may be even more rulesets out there, although AFAIK, the OP would probably be using 1 of the 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René van Bussel
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
No you have been playing it right for ten years. He does not steal until his target character is revealed.

I have the Dutch rules here right in front of my and this is exactly what they say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.