DaveO Suave
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After one particular game session that was derailed for about 20 minutes and the answer still remained in doubt – I figured I’d ask a rules question about pinning.

Here was the circumstance – a smaller force of ships moved into a hex with another player’s massive army of ships (of small to large size).

Pinning is a 1:1 assignment. However, if the defending force already in the hex is larger both in numbers as well as ship size, how is the pinning determined (i.e. not number of ships, but WHICH PARTICULAR ships are pinned?)

Does the attacker assign which particular ships are pinned on the defender’s side in this circumstance or does the defender determine that?

We poured over the rules and couldn’t make a direct rules determination, but we ultimately chose that the smaller ships could pin the larger ships in the defending hex, preventing a would-be attacking force from having larger ships move during that turn.

So… is this a settled rule and we just missed it? I was neither the attacker nor the defender in this instance (so I don't have any skin in the answer), but I’m curious to know if we ruled correctly since pre-emptive pinning of larger ships BEFORE they attack could be a useful tactic if it’s allowed (or at least not directly specified) by the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The player who owns the ships chooses which of his ships are pinned. He can vary his choice (e.g, he could move some ships into the hex and then move different ships out which had previously been pinned).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no assignment. When a ship leaves, if that player is leaving behind enough ships (greater than or equal to the number of enemy ships), then the departing ship is not pinned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
While your ships in a hex outnumber the total of all enemy ships, any of your ships may be considered to be unpinned.

If you do not outnumber the total of all enemy ships, all of your ships in that hex are pinned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, trying to assign the ships 1:1 just causes more confusion. You don't need to "pair" ships to figure out pinning. All it basically boils down to is... You cannot move a ship out of a sector unless your ships in that sector outnumber enemy ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But in terms of your original question: Resolving it this way means that the person who is leaving the hex effectively gets to choose which of their ships are pinned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Whitehead
Canada
Hawkestone
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are actually very clear.

"If your Ships move into a hex, or out from a hex, containing other players' or Ancient Ships, at least one Ship per each opposing Ship must stay (pinned) and engage in combat in the Combat phase."

Which Ships you choose to leave pinned is the moving player's choice. So it is very possible to pin Dreadnaughts with Interceptors (except they are likely to be obliterated in the following combat phase). It also will not stop the Dreadnaught's owner from bringing in some more Ships to trade off with the Dreadnaughts. Pinning doesn't prevent movement through a hex in any way (unless your only active ships are the pinned ships), it only ensures that someone can't run away from battle.

Possible scenario (in just one hex, owned by B containing two Interceptors):
A arrives with two Dreadnaughts (pinning level is now 2 ships)
B builds two Dreadnaughts in hex, then moves two Interceptors out of hex
A brings two Interceptors into hex, then moves one Dreadnaught out of hex (pinning level is now 3 ships)

As you can see, individual ships are not pinned, just the number of ships that will eventually be committed to the battle. The pinning level can only increase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.