7 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: 4 Player first time | Turtle scum and Tech trees. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brennan Bishop
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we had the university, the Hacan, The Xxcha, and the dudes that are good at fighting.
Our Uni player went full blown tech tree (surprising I know) and started popping out war suns rather early on. For a non-violent race, he sure came on strong encroaching borders with me, the Xxcha player. Diplomacy was a good friend of mine for the first while until our Hacan player snagged Rex. This in turn forced the fighty dudes to use a wormhole to pop up next to him and prepare to attack next turn.
However, the University turned on him, wiped out his patrol, and positioned themselves to take Rex.
Our Hacan player, desperate to complete his hidden objective (6 techs, 3 different colours, control Rex), built up on Rex. The next turn, the University, in a move no one saw coming, attacked the Hacan's player starting system and wiped him out there!
Through the use of not one, but two uprising cards (knocks out a ground troop and if there are none remaining, it goes back to neutral status), the Hacan player is left with nothing on Rex, but the orbiting Fighty dudes can't get the ground troops to it until the next turn.
Soon it became a run for the gold with the Hacan player with 1 ship on the board, but clinging to near-victory at 9 victory points (lot's of picking the Imperial card while the rest of us mostly screwed around). He claimed the ship was full of orphans and food supplies, and I was trying to end the game, so I offered political asylum from his imminent destruction. With him out of the game, the University player would be leading with 6 points.
Out of feeling pity, I backstabbed the University player to grab up a system with a science discount on it (fulfilling MY secret objective(6 systems with a science discount)) and claim my 2 points to settle in at 7 points. I also captured his admiral.
Then the University player used a tech card no one knew he had devised (with him getting so many techs each turn we barely noted what he had at any given point) to move through the fleet between him and the Hacan player, to open up on the orphans with his war suns! Massive overkill and hysterical laughter ensued.
But, since the Hacan's elimination, the next player with the most points was me. Imperial got played, and lo and behold, the player with the most points wins.
Turtle victory!

The next game is going to be with 5 players.
This game, as a learning game, took us a billion-trillion hours(about 7-9). But holy crow was it fun. WE used the Imperial as only one point instead of 2, and it sure added to the game length. However, it gave us the time to really get into it with space battles and backstabs. Many a gentleman's bet turned into a furious bidding war to see if any PDS's would blow the orphan ship apart and put the University player in the lead.
Another highlight was the card, "Thugs" to eliminate the votes of the University player on a vote to make him exhaust his planets and ditch all his cards. It was a major turning point of the game and also spurred vengeance towards the Hacan player which led to his destruction.
Next time will be an interesting game indeed.
It better not go until 2am again though...urgh.
Once my daughter has a nap I'll post a picture of the final board layout too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds glorious!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And thus the wonder why Twilight Imperium is so much more than just a 4x Space game.

Glad you enjoyed it, Your games will get faster especially with a 4-5 player group. I do 6 player with a experienced crew and we can get done in 6 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play this 4p pretty frequently, and we can clock in a game around 4-5 hours (with Bureaucracy). Which is still long, but much more manageable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would anyone want a TI3 game to be shorter than 10-12 hours...am I missing something?

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Bishop
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to play with 6, but getting the group together is sooo haaard.
D:

red = Fight-lizards
Green = Xxcha
Purple = University
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.