Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: special attacks and extra dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kai Clements
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do special attacks follow the same +1 attack die at range 1 and +1 defense die at range 3?

Does an ion cannon at range 1 get 4 dice?
Do missiles and torpedos give the target an extra defense die at range 3?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The +1 is only for the Primary Weapon. Secondary Weapons do not benefit from either +1 Attack/+1 Defense.

-shnar
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
The +1 is only for the Primary Weapon. Secondary Weapons do not benefit from either +1 Attack/+1 Defense.

-shnar


I'm pretty sure the defender gets a bonus die at long range regardless of whether they are shot at with primary or secondary weapons.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the defender gets a bonus die at long range regardless of whether they are shot at with primary or secondary weapons.

No, that only applies when firing primary weapons.

Kaizot wrote:
Do special attacks follow the same +1 attack die at range 1 and +1 defense die at range 3?

Secondary weapons do not get Range Bonus Penalties.

Kaizot wrote:
Does an ion cannon at range 1 get 4 dice?
Do missiles and torpedos give the target an extra defense die at range 3?

No.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, been doing that one wrong.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at the reference section on the back page of the rule book. It lists range bonuses/penalties as applying to primary weapons.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
shnar wrote:
The +1 is only for the Primary Weapon. Secondary Weapons do not benefit from either +1 Attack/+1 Defense.

-shnar


I'm pretty sure the defender gets a bonus die at long range regardless of whether they are shot at with primary or secondary weapons.


On page 12:

"The defender resolves any card abilities
that allow him to roll additional (or fewer)
dice. Also, if he is targeted at Range 3 by
the attacker’s primary weapon, he rolls 1
additional defense die."

(emphasis added)

We thought the same too, that all weapons got a defense bonus at range 3, but then we thought about it. With torpedoes, they have a lock, so it shouldn't matter what distance they're at, same chance to hit.

-shnar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, I was playing this wrong too. I would think range would affect torpedoes too since they would have a higher chance to lose lock and ion cannons seem like they would be just as affected as primary weapons.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Except that Ion Cannons can't be used at Range 3, so that's a completely moot point. I still contend that the whole point of the range for Torpedoes is that outside Range 3, the lock is 'lost', but within Range 3, it's a perfect lock.

-shnar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.