Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: what are the rules that you would change? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jay cutler
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
I ask for those who have done more than 1 campaign..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanz RafDE
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely LOS. We've decided to make it simpler and more logical - we've adopted the Descent 1st Edition LOS rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep the LOS as it is in the rules and ignore anything about it from the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monster spawning.

My planned system is simple, but I haven't tested it enough. We've used it several times and it works great, but not on all scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had as much experience, but...

-Add in some kind of rules about reinforcements to make single large monsters less powerful and small monsters more powerful when reinforcing; i.e. a system where you could reinforce multiple weak minions in a turn, or spend several turns "build up" to a big monster. (I don't think this would work very well with the game as-is, since some of the monsters and quests would probably have to be rebalanced a bit.)

-Change the quests so that there aren't any 0-depth walls, or clarify how they work in the rulebook. Also, allow LoS to be drawn from any point in the attacker's space to any point in the defender's space (avoiding the odd "figure blocks LoS to itself" thing). Beyond that, I don't have a problem with the current LoS rules.

-Perhaps add a "difficulty rating" to the quests, to measure the intended difficulty for the overlord and heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sevej wrote:
Monster spawning.

My planned system is simple, but I haven't tested it enough. We've used it several times and it works great, but not on all scenarios.

If you don't mind, I'd like to hear what your system is, and whether you've changed anything else about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Have monsters like Gryvorn scale properly to the number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Mondaro
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOS gets my vote. center to center.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nite Wolf
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VinnieM316 wrote:

Anyone not in hospital with severe alcohol poisoning by now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
These ones:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/855971/bleached-lizards-revi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nitewolf wrote:
VinnieM316 wrote:

Anyone not in hospital with severe alcohol poisoning by now?

I haven't been replying because I'm actually dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Zervakis
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One group of large monsters max per encounter.
Being more resilient, there are many times where blocking the heroes' path over and over is crucial to the victory for them.

Large monster movement and the way it's exploited by the OL. How can a hero group use their tanks to protect weaker or hurt characters if a dragon can fit through corners?.

If equipped with two weapons, a hero can use the surge abilities of the weapon that wasn't used for the attack, as long as it's of the same type (ranged/melee) and surges have been spent for all of the attacking weapon's abilities.
example: 3 surges with the Dawnblade -> +3damage, attack a second monster, plus a surge for Stun from using the Light Hammer as the non-attacking weapon.

Since the scenarios where Shadow Binders must be saved are mostly difficult for the heroes, I'd give Koth 1 white and 1 black defence dice and Sir Palamon 2 white defence dice.

Maybe also LoS (back to center to center), since almost never had a figure moved away to block LoS to attackers. And what good does that do to tactics?

As you see my experience as an OL has made me soft after seeing the heroes winning just the Introduction and Death on the Wing on a whole campaign. I'd like to have a more challenging game next time too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.