Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Waller
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've played twice now and my friend and I have questions that we can't seem to figure out on our own.

1. Why would the Jihadist ever choose to remove a Cadre marker? Seems like they only help the Jihadist. (4.8.4, and 5.2.2)

2. Card 53 "Madrassas" says to "use this card and 2nd card to recruit". If the second card is worth 3 ops can the Jihadist player make 4 recruit attempts or is the maximum still 3 (as is the rule for using the reserves)?

3. If there are 10 troops left, all on the war and overstretch sections, where is the troops chit? Still on the "low intensity" or "war" box? Is US troop level considerd to be "low intensity" or "war"?

4. Card 94 "The door of Itjihad was closed": I'm not sure if "this or last action phase" refers to the current action phase and prior phase played by the opponent or previous action phase by the same player. For example, if the US plays this card, and had tested a country in his previous phase, would the text apply? Yes if you are only considering US action phases but no if you consider the Jihadist action phase as the "last".

5. Is care 94 why they included "governance improved" chits? I don't see a single use for them outside of when this card comes up.

6. Also on card 94: does a Jihad count as a "test"?

7. Card 31 "Wiretapping". Does "Mark" on this card mean that the removal of any cadres, cells or plots" stays in effect until "Leak" is played? The card has no other lingering effects that I can see outside of allowing "Leak" to be played as an event. I'm assuming just the later is true. ???

Thanks to anyone who helps me with these. So far after two plays the game seems biased towards the Jihadist. I've played US both times and admit I'm still figuring out strategy and I've had horrible luck with the dice. But it seems like if prestige is low it is hard for the US to successfully change governance to good and most countries enter as either Poor or Soft, both of which favor the Jihadist. Another fantastic game though to complement my love of Twilight Struggle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya!

Quote:
1. Why would the Jihadist ever choose to remove a Cadre marker? Seems like they only help the Jihadist. (4.8.4, and 5.2.2)

Disrupt of a Cadre by Troops raises Prestige. Cadres can trigger Wiretap.

Quote:
2. Card 53 "Madrassas" says to "use this card and 2nd card to recruit". If the second card is worth 3 ops can the Jihadist player make 4 recruit attempts or is the maximum still 3 (as is the rule for using the reserves)?

Quote:
3. If there are 10 troops left, all on the war and overstretch sections, where is the troops chit? Still on the "low intensity" or "war" box? Is US troop level considerd to be "low intensity" or "war"?

Low Intensity.

Quote:
4. Card 94 "The door of Itjihad was closed": I'm not sure if "this or last action phase" refers to the current action phase and prior phase played by the opponent or previous action phase by the same player. For example, if the US plays this card, and had tested a country in his previous phase, would the text apply? Yes if you are only considering US action phases but no if you consider the Jihadist action phase as the "last".

Consider an opponent's also.

Quote:
5. Is care 94 why they included "governance improved" chits? I don't see a single use for them outside of when this card comes up.

Yes.

Quote:
6. Also on card 94: does a Jihad count as a "test"?

No.

Quote:
7. Card 31 "Wiretapping". Does "Mark" on this card mean that the removal of any cadres, cells or plots" stays in effect until "Leak" is played.
No.

Quote:
The card has no other lingering effects that I can see outside of allowing "Leak" to be played as an event. I'm assuming just the later is true. ???

Correct.

Quote:
...Another fantastic game though to complement my love of Twilight Struggle!

Thanks!
Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Waller
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
How awesome is it that the designer of the game answers my questions?!? Much appreciated Volko! Andean Abyss is in my future as well. Keep churning them out and I'll keep buying them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:

Quote:

Wow. I've been playing that card wrong. It's obvious in retrospect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jwallerrocks wrote:
... Andean Abyss is in my future as well. Keep churning them out and I'll keep buying them.

Works for me! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.