Monopoly» Forums » General

Subject: Unknown Monopoly edition- please help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Bowie
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I've been trying to identify this today, but so far my googling's been fruitless. I've used BGG as a reference before but couldn't find it in the monopoly editions list either, so I'm hoping someone here can help me out identifying this piece.

It's an english-speaking set in a blue plastic suitcase-style box with a 1961 copyright in the rules and us patent registration mentioned on the front.

This particular copy isn't exactly in the best condition. I got it as some yard sale a decade ago for two bucks and I just now felt like digging it out to see what I got. I was surprised to find it difficult to see what I have, so any help in that regard would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: After one last try, I've discovered that this is the 1965 30th anniversary edition appraised ~ $300. However, note the board- Any images I can find show a white board back, not the red from my version. However, seeing comments here and there from fellow owners doing their own digging report the same red back in my photos. I have no idea what that's about, nor any other information (produuction cycle, etc.) and anything you have to share would be greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice find. I like the case better than the game however. Looks like you are gonna make a good little profit off you 2 buck investment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bowie
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I can't make anything until I can figure out if the board is original or not lol. I also don't have the original cardboard box, which hurts value. I'm honestly more interested in learning about my copy than making a quick buck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I've seen something like this somewhere. But no idea when or where.

If it came in that case then it may have never had a box.

Buest guess is you have all the original parts in the box. Cant see any reason someone would swap in a new board.

If you havent allready, check the board itself. Some versions have a print date on them somewhere. But since the original board hasnt really changed alot in decades. Who knows. Assume its the original unless you find some indicator it isnt.

Neet find in any case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bowie
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Every other image I've found of this game online (all two of them) have boards with a white back w/gold lettering, mine is a red back with gold lettering. However, I also found a fellow second-hand buyer who stated their board was red, not white. That's why I can't be certain until I know more.

The board's copyright is 1961, since the company didn't renew it in 1965 for the anniversary editions. However, plenty of other versions were made with that same 1961 copyright so it doesn't mean all that much.

This version also had a cardboard box it was sold in, There's a recent ebay listing for one of these puppies with the box shown (and that white board mentioned above).

Thanks for the tip checking the board's copyright date though, I actually didn't think of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This might help then. Says the blue case was from 65. But the board is dated 61.

Quote:
Edition: Monopoly, in blue plastic case
Publisher: Parker Brothers Inc.(signature) - Salem - 1965
Dimensions of the case: 28 x 53 cm
The game:
This is a "portable" version of the more than well known boardgame. The board, with white back, fits into the top part of this blue case. The other part contains a plastic insert with trays indented for as well the banknotes as the houses and hotels, the property deeds, the Chance- and Community Chest cards, the dice and tokens. Besides a clear plastic tray covers each of the banknotes.

The board states as latest copyright date 1961, but presumably this "special edition" was issued not until 1965 and did serve as one of the "30 year anniversary editions".
The 32 houses and 12 hotels are made of white wood with resp. a green and red roof! (This version of the houses and hotels was in this time also used in a.o. German and Dutch sets.)

There is no more mention of any copyright in the circle on the banknotes. There are 8 pewter tokens and 4 pairs of red & white dice. A remarkable quantity (presumably for each of 4 players their own pair) that is also applied in the "wooden case" (1965) and "leatherette case" (1975) issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bowie
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for that, mate. Even if there was at the very least some factory anomaly to explain my red board, I'm clearly missing three full sets of dice. Along with a handful of other condition issues, looks like this is something I'll end up holding onto.

Again, thank you for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Jack
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
James, my brother gave me the exact same edition you have with the red board. He bought it from a thrift store years ago. I'm not sure what version it is either. If I find out anything, I will let you know.

from Washington, DC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.